The Student Room Group

really dont know what to study

i'm doing a biology related degree but after starting it I realised I really don't like biology as much as I thought i did and i have no motivation to study the subject, every time i sit down to study i feel like breaking down into tears. but the thing is i have no idea what else to study, i am not passionate about any subject and i never enjoyed any of my a level subjects (biology, chemistry and geography) . if anyone was in my position starting university and having no idea what to study because they didn't like any of their subjects, what did you end up studying?
You’re going to be doing this degree for 3 years. Doing a science based subject at uni will mean you’ll need to sacrifice some of your social life to study. Remember your degree choice doesn’t define you. Do something you know you’ll do well in. Uni is a different ball game and so are the exams. You’ll fall behind and no ones going to chase after you if you’re struggling.

There’s always careers days or big companies that hire various subjects.
It's tough to realise your course isn't for you anymore. If you can, take some time out of education to find your passion or even find a job that you like and can see yourself doing long term. It really depends what your priorities are but this happened to me last year. I dropped out after 3 months, and it was the best decision I could have made! Staying in that situation isn't worth it, and don't just try and stick it out because people say it takes time to adjust. I think you know if uni or your course isn't right for you. Good luck with everything
Reply 3
Original post by monstera141
It's tough to realise your course isn't for you anymore. If you can, take some time out of education to find your passion or even find a job that you like and can see yourself doing long term. It really depends what your priorities are but this happened to me last year. I dropped out after 3 months, and it was the best decision I could have made! Staying in that situation isn't worth it, and don't just try and stick it out because people say it takes time to adjust. I think you know if uni or your course isn't right for you. Good luck with everything

what did you do after you dropped out and what are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
You’re going to be doing this degree for 3 years. Doing a science based subject at uni will mean you’ll need to sacrifice some of your social life to study. Remember your degree choice doesn’t define you. Do something you know you’ll do well in. Uni is a different ball game and so are the exams. You’ll fall behind and no ones going to chase after you if you’re struggling.

There’s always careers days or big companies that hire various subjects.

i can't think of any subject that i would do well in. the past few months has just been me scrolling through universities courses hoping to find something that interests me, none of them interest me
what did you do after you dropped out and what are you doing now if you don't mind me asking?

I've had a few jobs and voluntary roles and I've been doing a lot of relaxing to be honest, a break from education is so good but I'm definitely ready to go back. I've got a place at uni for September after working out what (I think) I want to do. I didn't plan on taking two years out but obviously covid happened and that has also affected my jobs and voluntary roles but I would definitely recommend taking a break. Also future employers will want someone with employment history even if it's entry level retail jobs which is all I've been able to get this year.
i can't think of any subject that i would do well in. the past few months has just been me scrolling through universities courses hoping to find something that interests me, none of them interest me

Try a gap year. They’re great. You really can’t be expected to know what to do during sixth form. I didn’t know what to do at all.
Reply 7
Try a gap year. They’re great. You really can’t be expected to know what to do during sixth form. I didn’t know what to do at all.

the thing is, if i wanted to apply for something else for september 2021, the UCAS deadline is 15th of January, so i need to decide what subject i want to do really quick
the thing is, if i wanted to apply for something else for september 2021, the UCAS deadline is 15th of January, so i need to decide what subject i want to do really quick

This is the official deadline but a lot of universities will consider applications until clearing opens and even after that there is a UCAS option to apply just through clearing. You need to ring the uni/s up and speak to departmental and admissions staff. It's usually not a big deal, especially if you already meet their entry requirements. I had my place accepted in July 2020 (for deferred entry in 2021) but I'm fairly sure they would've accepted me for 2020 entry so there's no rush but obviously it is better to be early.
ask for advice
Original post by monstera141
This is the official deadline but a lot of universities will consider applications until clearing opens and even after that there is a UCAS option to apply just through clearing. You need to ring the uni/s up and speak to departmental and admissions staff. It's usually not a big deal, especially if you already meet their entry requirements. I had my place accepted in July 2020 (for deferred entry in 2021) but I'm fairly sure they would've accepted me for 2020 entry so there's no rush but obviously it is better to be early.

would this still be the case for russel group unis? i'm fairly certain I want to go to the uni of bristol, I just don't know what to study there. i should also point out i already submitted a UCAS application and recieved an offer for biology at bristol but i'm having second thoughts because as i've mentioned before im really starting to dislike biology. but because i already submitted my UCAS application my personal statement is biology focused so i'm not sure if i would be able to apply for other courses
would this still be the case for russel group unis? i'm fairly certain I want to go to the uni of bristol, I just don't know what to study there. i should also point out i already submitted a UCAS application and recieved an offer for biology at bristol but i'm having second thoughts because as i've mentioned before im really starting to dislike biology. but because i already submitted my UCAS application my personal statement is biology focused so i'm not sure if i would be able to apply for other courses

I would say it is the same for Russell group unis, but you'd have to ring and ask them individually to check if they are still considering applications after the official deadline. you can submit a secondary personal statement if you realise what course you want to apply for but it might be tricky as you've already applied through UCAS in this application cycle, I'm not sure what the rules are in that situation but I think you can still apply for up to 5, and I don't think they all have to be at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending