The Student Room Group

Do you think we, in the UK, should have freedom of speech?

Curious to see how everyone in the UK feels about this. Comment below.
Yes, with the exception of hate speech.
Original post by Smouncher

What counts as hate speech AND where is the line drawn?
Original post by Dictatormosley
What counts as hate speech AND where is the line drawn?

I think if you are attacking someone because of a protected characteristic, or actively encouraging violence or harassment.
As for where the line is drawn, I think it is difficult to say. In more tedious cases, I think maybe it should be considered individually. You would need to look at intent as well as the consequences of their words, and try to find a balance - look at it holistically.
Original post by Dictatormosley
Curious to see how everyone in the UK feels about this. Comment below.

You already have it to the extent the law allows.
Your thread is lazy.
Original post by 999tigger
You already have it to the extent the law allows.
Your thread is lazy.

I don't care.
Reply 6

So you mean no? Either you have free speech or you don't there isnt a middle ground here..
Reply 7
I think if you are attacking someone because of a protected characteristic, or actively encouraging violence or harassment.
As for where the line is drawn, I think it is difficult to say. In more tedious cases, I think maybe it should be considered individually. You would need to look at intent as well as the consequences of their words, and try to find a balance - look at it holistically.

Agree. There is a line between freedom of speech and hate speech and that line is crossed when freedom of speech is used to deliberately attack people because of there race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation or anything else.
Any speech that is a call to action for others to threaten another person's safety or a direct threat to other's safety should not be allowed. Other than that free speech is important.
Original post by Napp
So you mean no? Either you have free speech or you don't there isnt a middle ground here..

This.

The truth is, that we all have a different opinion on what hate speech is, so to ban it, would be to ban most forms of speech. I hate Vegan preachers, should I not be allowed to say that?
Reply 10
It's never this straightforward. I don't think many people seriously propose a society where you can say absolutely what you like with no consequences. There will always be exceptions - whether it be for encouraging a criminal offence, slandering someone, causing alarm or a whole range of other things.

You'd be better off arguing the individual merits of infringement than trying to come to a blanket position.
Hi

Thanks for asking.

Freedom of speech is an emotive subject. Speech can always be twisted by others to fit their own agenda.

What we need is clear laws to allow speech but where it is very clear that it is hate speech, that should not be allowed ot
actioned.

I'm older than most here and trust me, people are scared to open their gobs just in case they make a comment
deemed to be offensive by some over active pc mob.

Freedom of speech exisits in no country let alone the UK

I'm not sure you lot are aware about something know as a 'D Notice.' look it up.

Then we have court cases and even when there has been an outcome, those that feel injured by the
outcome are not allowed by law to talk about it - Yes it happens in the UK - look it up.
I don't think freedom of speech really exists in it purest form, nor should it do. Speech is regulated by the law and so it should be.
Reply 13
you first need to define what free speech is as there seems to be a misconception that free speech means no limits, but even the most respected writers on free speech including Oliver Wendell Holmes and JS Mill had limits. neither of these writers for instance would advocate threatening personal or public security. it makes sense then that freedom of expression is a qualified right in UK law.

re hate speech there's no such thing under law. it's a term used by the media and politicians to sell newspapers and fear to voters and the public heard it so much it's now uses in conversation by them. but the law against hate crime in the UK is that you have to actually commit a crime first; say you assault someone and at the time of committing the offence, or immediately before or after doing so, the offender demonstrates towards the victim hostility towards their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender or disability (section 145-146 Criminal Justice Act 2003) in which a judge can issue a longer sentence. but the key here is that just calling someone a name or whatever isn't a crime in itself; it has to be said while committing another crime to demonstrate some motivation, which seems reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending