poop yakuza
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
"A 0.1-kg particle is travelling along the line y = 3 m with a velocity 1 m/s. What is the angular momentum of the particle about the origin (1 d.p.)? "

i want to clarify that if an object is not travelling in the angular direction theta, its angular momentum is zero right?
Last edited by poop yakuza; 8 months ago
nmaster06
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, yeah I think you're right. Do you have a copy of the question? Is there a diagram that comes with it?
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
(Original post by nmaster06)
Hey, yeah I think you're right. Do you have a copy of the question? Is there a diagram that comes with it?
the quoted sentence is the question, there are no diagrams unfortunately
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by poop yakuza)
"A 0.1-kg particle is travelling along the line y = 3 m with a velocity 1 m/s. What is the angular momentum of the particle about the origin (1 d.p.)? "

i want to clarify that if an object is not travelling in the angular direction theta, its angular momentum is zero right?
This isn't the case - there will still be angular momentum. If you want an analogy, think about a statics problem where you take moments about a point. The forces involved will have moments, even though there is no rotation going on.

As there are no external moments acting, the total angular momentum of the particle will be constant. You can therefore do your angular momentum calculation when the particle is at any position on the line y = 3. There is one position which is much easier to use than any other!
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
This isn't the case - there will still be angular momentum. If you want an analogy, think about a statics problem where you take moments about a point. The forces involved will have moments, even though there is no rotation going on.

As there are no external moments acting, the total angular momentum of the particle will be constant. You can therefore do your angular momentum calculation when the particle is at any position on the line y = 3. There is one position which is much easier to use than any other!
I see, its the conservation of momentum, dL/dt = tau = 0. so Would the angular momentum would be zero in a case when the object has no motion, i.e. v=0?
Last edited by poop yakuza; 8 months ago
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by poop yakuza)
I see, its the conservation of momentum, dL/dt = tau = 0. so Would the angular momentum would be zero in a case when the object has no motion, i.e. v=0?
Yes, in the same way that it's linear momentum would also be zero.
poop yakuza
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
Yes, in the same way that it's linear momentum would also be zero.
gotchu, thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads