why do the bases orientate themselves to the centre of DNA polynucleotide?

Watch
zarahh09
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why do the bases orientate themselves to the centre of DNA polynucleotide?
14hasm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'These are enzymes that cut DNA at specific sites. They are properly called restriction endonucleases because they cut the bonds in the middle of the polynucleotide chain. For example, EcoRI is a restriction endonuclease from E. coli. Some restriction enzymes cut straight across both chains, forming blunt ends, but most enzymes make a staggered cut in the two strands, forming sticky ends (Fig. 13.8).'

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...polynucleotide - Scroll to the title 'Evolution and Genetic Engineering'.

I'm not totally sure but I believe it's because each base is connected to its complementary base through a certain number of hydrogen bonds and this possible arrangement makes it easier for certain enzymes to break through bonds.

Hope this helps
zarahh09
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 14hasm)
'These are enzymes that cut DNA at specific sites. They are properly called restriction endonucleases because they cut the bonds in the middle of the polynucleotide chain. For example, EcoRI is a restriction endonuclease from E. coli. Some restriction enzymes cut straight across both chains, forming blunt ends, but most enzymes make a staggered cut in the two strands, forming sticky ends (Fig. 13.8).'

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...polynucleotide - Scroll to the title 'Evolution and Genetic Engineering'.

I'm not totally sure but I believe it's because each base is connected to its complementary base through a certain number of hydrogen bonds and this possible arrangement makes it easier for certain enzymes to break through bonds.

Hope this helps
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (117)
52.47%
No (106)
47.53%

Watched Threads