The Student Room Group

Being a HCA in outpatients vs on a ward?

Hi, I have been working as a HCA in an outpatients department for a while. Some days are better than others, but overall, i'm not finding it very rewarding. Especially when all I do is stand in a corridor waiting for a handful of patients to turn up, so that I can weigh them before their appointment.

I have never worked on a ward before and keep wondering if i'd find that more enjoyable and rewarding. Unfortunately, i'm not able to do bank shifts on wards at the moment due to Covid risks.

I was wondering if anybody here could give me an insight into what being a HCA on a ward is like.
Reply 1
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Hi, I have been working as a HCA in an outpatients department for a while. Some days are better than others, but overall, i'm not finding it very rewarding. Especially when all I do is stand in a corridor waiting for a handful of patients to turn up, so that I can weigh them before their appointment.

I have never worked on a ward before and keep wondering if i'd find that more enjoyable and rewarding. Unfortunately, i'm not able to do bank shifts on wards at the moment due to Covid risks.

I was wondering if anybody here could give me an insight into what being a HCA on a ward is like.

Whichever ward you go to, it's basically helping with washing, toileting and feeding - what sorts of needs the patients have means varying degrees of dependence on you; what sort of ward it is also varies on how much of this you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending