PGCE with no A-Level experience?

Watch
DishSoapInTheSky
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have two placements over the year, neither of which are providing me with any A-Level experience to speak of. I've essentially been left in the position of paying £9,000 for half a qualification. I have contacted the uni a few times about this, always being reassured that it should be sorted out by next term. Next term is now in two days, and nothing has been sorted.

- Will be PGCE be worthless?

- Will I have a much harder time finding jobs as a result of this?

- What would you do in this situation? I'm currently entertaining a few scenarios including transferring to another provider (although I have absolutely no idea if that would even be possible) and dropping out then reapplying for next year, but neither of those are particularly appealing.

Thank you so much for any and all advice!
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DishSoapInTheSky)
I have two placements over the year, neither of which are providing me with any A-Level experience to speak of. I've essentially been left in the position of paying £9,000 for half a qualification. I have contacted the uni a few times about this, always being reassured that it should be sorted out by next term. Next term is now in two days, and nothing has been sorted.

- What would you do in this situation? I'm currently entertaining a few scenarios including transferring to another provider (although I have absolutely no idea if that would even be possible) and dropping out then reapplying for next year, but neither of those are particularly appealing.

I really wouldn't say this makes it only half of a qualification, it's quite typical not to do much in the way of A-level teaching during the PGCE.

However, I do believe (and may be wrong, this is just how it worked with my provider) that you must have some small amount of KS2 experience and KS5 experience in order to qualify - for most people on my course, this just meant shadowing a few days in Year 6 and several A-level lessons. There was specific 'empty' time set aside for people to arrange their KS2 and KS5 experience independently, though of course, those placed in schools with sixth forms usually just did it there.

To answer your questions:
- No, your PGCE will not be worthless. It is normal for trainees to leave training not having experience teaching A-level (unless doing a specific FE PGCE)
- Schools that are accepting NQTs will usually be aware that you won't have much experience teaching A-level. I finished my training with very minimal A-level experience, but was able to get an NQT job that involved teaching a Year 12 class. I spoke in the interview about how I was keen to do this and the school organised additional CPD that would support me in starting to teach A-level.
- In your situation, I would talk to my mentor / university. Do understand that with all the current disruption, they are probably struggling to sort out the required KS3 and KS4 placements, let-alone KS2 and KS5 stuff. I would structure the conversation differently, maybe ask if they would be happy for you to take a day shadowing teachers at a local sixth form / college to gain a bit of KS5 experience, say that you will make contact and organise it yourself. Of course though, in the present circumstances, you really shouldn't be doing this, so the best idea is to wait.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DishSoapInTheSky)

I did my PGCE at a uni which specifically guaranteed KS5 experience, and even that was only a few weeks in some cases.

Your PGCE will not be worthless, and this won't stop you finding a job. It's unlikely you'd teach A-level during your NQT year anyway.

I'm not sure how possible transfers are at the best of times, but I expect right now it would be practically impossible to transfer providers. I honestly don't think this is worth dropping out over.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I did my PGCE at a uni which specifically guaranteed KS5 experience, and even that was only a few weeks in some cases.

Your PGCE will not be worthless, and this won't stop you finding a job. It's unlikely you'd teach A-level during your NQT year anyway.

I'm not sure how possible transfers are at the best of times, but I expect right now it would be practically impossible to transfer providers. I honestly don't think this is worth dropping out over.
I agree
Mhezz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would say the above is correct, but without knowing your subject, it may not be. I am doing my PGCE is secondary Business Studies, the age range is 14 - 19 years old. If I wasn't to teach any KS5 this would be detrimental to me. All Business Teacher jobs ask for experience of teaching KS5 as its more likely that is the level you will teach based on the subject. I am the opposite, I have had minimal KS3 experience, but I will be picking up KS3 maths as a second subject to get the experience. A fellow trainee is doing Social Science and again predominantly teaches KS5 as this is the expected norm for that subject.

If you do a core subject that is taught throughout KS3, 4 and 5, then the lack of KS5 experience wont matter too much as the chances of you teaching KS5 during your NQT and RQT years is minimal.
yoshimax
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I really wouldn't say this makes it only half of a qualification, it's quite typical not to do much in the way of A-level teaching during the PGCE.

However, I do believe (and may be wrong, this is just how it worked with my provider) that you must have some small amount of KS2 experience and KS5 experience in order to qualify - for most people on my course, this just meant shadowing a few days in Year 6 and several A-level lessons. There was specific 'empty' time set aside for people to arrange their KS2 and KS5 experience independently, though of course, those placed in schools with sixth forms usually just did it there.

To answer your questions:
- No, your PGCE will not be worthless. It is normal for trainees to leave training not having experience teaching A-level (unless doing a specific FE PGCE)
- Schools that are accepting NQTs will usually be aware that you won't have much experience teaching A-level. I finished my training with very minimal A-level experience, but was able to get an NQT job that involved teaching a Year 12 class. I spoke in the interview about how I was keen to do this and the school organised additional CPD that would support me in starting to teach A-level.
- In your situation, I would talk to my mentor / university. Do understand that with all the current disruption, they are probably struggling to sort out the required KS3 and KS4 placements, let-alone KS2 and KS5 stuff. I would structure the conversation differently, maybe ask if they would be happy for you to take a day shadowing teachers at a local sixth form / college to gain a bit of KS5 experience, say that you will make contact and organise it yourself. Of course though, in the present circumstances, you really shouldn't be doing this, so the best idea is to wait.
Is KS2 still required? I'm barely going to get any KS3 experience on my course this year and definitely won't get any in KS2.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yoshimax)
Is KS2 still required? I'm barely going to get any KS3 experience on my course this year and definitely won't get any in KS2.
I would expect that these expectations would be relaxed this year, since they've relaxed the requirements for number of days in school anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads