The Student Room Group

Want to be a vet but don’t really want to do chem a level?!

I am in year 11 and having to choose a levels soon

I have always wanted to be a vet or do something with animals and have also considered becoming a doctor. I think academically I’m clever enough but, I was planning on taking for a level
Bio
French
And chemistry or Spanish
The only problem is I’m not that good at chemistry and i don’t enjoy it that much.I’m predicted a 7/8 in chemistry but don’t know what other jobs involving animals I could do without chemistry?!

I would LOVE to be a vet so shall I just stick out 2 years of chemistry?! Basically I’m just wondering if anyone out there has good advice of what grades I will need to get etc...
chemistry is hard if you don't want to do it that much - but a goal of being a vet will make it easier

you'll need at least an A (don't quote me) in chem - but you can definitely do it with a 7/8

its possible but you'll need to decide what you want and value - do you want to be a vet enough to work really hard at a subject you don't like?
Reply 2
I agree. Chemistry is such a difficult A-level, and you don't want to pick a subject that you find hard. However, just because you find it hard at gcse, doesn't mean you'll find it hard at a-level necessarily. Vice-versa happened to me. Perhaps look into the a level specification and see if its something that you would find interesting/would be able to manage. If not, then perhaps find another course that doesn't require a level chem.
Consider completing a chemistry A level more an aptitude test that shows your dedication and commitment to being a vet.
Because a chemistry A level is hard, boring and frankly totally not needed within the veterinary degree - there is nothing we have been taught that requires anything more than GCSE level understanding of very basic chemistry - afterall we are to become vets not chemists. I personally got a U at AS chemistry and realised I wanted to be a vet and that required an A - so I had to sit AS and A2 chemistry alongside each other in order to make that work. It was bloody hard work but I got the A required and have since forgotten everything we did, I couldn't even tell you the syllabus nevermind how it worked.

It is a way of separating applicants apart and nothing more - you grind it out and pass, or you don't realistically get to become a vet without another degree. If you want to apply to 4 UK vet schools as an undergraduate you will not be a realistic applicant without an A in A level chemistry. Hammer out past papers and you will score highly in the exams without even understanding it, worked for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest