theboss2786
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
It's been said that in writing a personal statement for computer science that it's important to mention "How you work in a team and leadership skills". Is there any truth in that with a Computer Science personal statement, if so other than competitions where you worked in a group, what kind of relevant examples can you give on this.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You don't need to talk about teamworking/leadership skills for an academic degree like CS. Focus on programming etc. instead
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by theboss2786)
It's been said that in writing a personal statement for computer science that it's important to mention "How you work in a team and leadership skills". Is there any truth in that with a Computer Science personal statement, if so other than competitions where you worked in a group, what kind of relevant examples can you give on this.
It might be useful to mention something like that in the extra curricular part of your personal statement, but don't write too much on it, focus more on the academic part of the personal statement.

Examples could be tutoring/mentoring someone at school, running a club/society, being part of a sports team, being part of a music group etc. Doesn't need to be related to computer science if you just want to show you have the skills.
University of South Wales
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by theboss2786)
Good morning,

I always think it's worth looking at the course content for each of the courses that you're applying for and trying to pick out the skills that you feel would be necessary for that course. For example, for our BSc (Hons) Computer Science course in year 2 students complete a module titled 'Professional Practice and Employability, Team Based Software Development Workshop' for this module team working and communication skills would be essential. You also have to complete an individual project which requires skills such as 'creative thinking, independent learning, motivation' etc.

Once you have picked out the key skills required for studying this subject at University you can start to including these in your personal statement, using your own experiences i.e. voluntary work, extra curricular activities, to demonstrate how you have these skills thus making you a suitable candidate.

I hope this helps, however if you have any further questions please feel free to send us a message
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (112)
27.65%
England (141)
34.81%
Belgium (30)
7.41%
Germany (41)
10.12%
Spain (9)
2.22%
Italy (34)
8.4%
Netherlands (13)
3.21%
Other (Tell us who) (25)
6.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise