The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TheOneWho
But he has missed out several other universities which are much older and are just as pretty with excellent facilities.

Glasgow was founded in 1451, Durham in 1837. That's a bit of a difference.

*Cough* 1832 :wink: (that was pedenatic).

But, yes, there's quite a difference between mediaeval and (barely) pre-Victorian.

If we are talking about campus universities then the obvious ones would be Nottingham, Exeter etc.

I'll go with Hull.
Reply 21
The best are Imperial/LSE/UCL/KCL
Reply 22
WOLLSMOTH

Wollsmoth has spoken, therefore this is the correct answer.
Reply 23
River85
It seems a bit odd that you've missed out a lot of the Scottish ancients (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and even Dundee) who are all older.

Campus (or, at least, university facilities)-wise I wouldn't really rate any of the Scottish ancients very highly. Glasgow obviously has nice buildings and the like, but it lacks civic spaces, plazas and stuff of that sort. Edinburgh seems far too disparate, Aberdeen is incredible at the centre (ie, in the immediate vicinity of King's), but is ruined by some of it's 60s/70s buildings and Dundee again has several nice buildings but lacks any sort of overall planning of its spaces (and the plans for its spaces currently being put into operation are unimaginative - as are many of its recent buildings) and St Andrews has gravitated a lot from its former centre at St Salvator's and again done so without much thought.

I blame the weather. They'd rather run from building to building than worry about an overall campus ethos when the rain is pelting down.
Well Queen Mary is London's only Campus university, which is very good since it means you can get out of bed at 8:55 and be in your lectures at 9:00. We also just finished a £6 million renovation of our union, so it looks really good now. Also our hall prices are some of the cheapest in London, an ensuite room will cost you about £100 a week, but at some London uni eg Imperial the same room might cost you £160 pw.

Of course other unis have really good campus facilities too, eg UCL, SOAS, etc.
Reply 25
Devel
Wollsmoth has spoken, therefore this is the correct answer.

I wish more people on this forum shared an attitude like yours; they're all so deluded.
Reply 26
WOLLSMOTH
I wish more people on this forum shared an attitude like yours; they're all so deluded.

Wollsmoth has spoken, therefore everyone on this forum is deluded.
WOLLSMOTH

Martyrdom complex much?
L i b
Campus (or, at least, university facilities)-wise I wouldn't really rate any of the Scottish ancients very highly. Glasgow obviously has nice buildings and the like, but it lacks civic spaces, plazas and stuff of that sort. Edinburgh seems far too disparate, Aberdeen is incredible at the centre (ie, in the immediate vicinity of King's), but is ruined by some of it's 60s/70s buildings and Dundee again has several nice buildings but lacks any sort of overall planning of its spaces (and the plans for its spaces currently being put into operation are unimaginative - as are many of its recent buildings).

I blame the weather. They'd rather run from building to building than worry about an overall campus ethos when the rain is pelting down.

I suppose it depends what you look for in facilities. Civic spaces aren't high on my list and I suppose Kelvingrove is a two minute walk away if you want it. Shame about some of the god-awful buildings though. Never liked Edinburgh and haven't been to the other two.
Reply 29
UEA! Best campus university- seriously though it does look a bit concretey from a distance, but theres loads of green space and a lake. All shops you need are on campus and there's the amazing sports park opposite. I'm a bit biased- having an awesome fresher's week here!
Just visit a load and see which you like the feel of. Most people on here are just gonna plug their own uni (like me!)
Reply 30
Sorry about Durham.

I actually meant the school facilities and campus landscape when I openned this thread. Which school has the best facilities?
Reply 31
ILIGAN
Sorry about Durham.

I actually meant the school facilities and campus landscape when I openned this thread. Which school has the best facilities?

Best facilities for what? And how do you measure what's "best"?
Define facilities? Define best?

^^ Beat me to it.
Reply 33
TheOneWho
Define facilities? Define best?

^^ Beat me to it.

I was just about to say that.:p:
Great minds, eh?
Reply 35
The question was subjective, that's why when you say Imperial has the best facilities, you support why you think so.

Cambridge is very old but it has an excellent academic facilities. Oxford Brooks is new but it does not have as good facilities as Cambridge.

Facilities therefore means = class rooms, labs, school buildings, school ground (landscape), auditoriums, gymnasiums, dormitories, libraries, computer labs, etc..
Lancaster is a lovely campus surrounded by green fields. It has various shops (from a charity shop to a flower shop to a Spar and a Waterstones etc), food outlets (an Indian, a chip shop, a Chinese, a Pizza place and various other cafes etc), and general facilities including a sports centre with pool, state of the art library with an arts centre and an on-campus cinema.

It has a great atmosphere and 9 on campus bars to pick from - or you could opt to go for a walk / picnic / football friendly on the grass that covers most of the campus.

Plus, from the south side, near Lonsdale College, you can see the sea.

Perfect. :biggrin:
I have not visited, lived in, or studied at every university in the UK so can't say which I think has the best. My experience is limited to only a few.

To be honest, a lecture room is a lecture room and no university has universal lecture theatres, some are big, some are small, some are uncomfortable, some are modern, etc, etc.

Also, gyms. You would need to consider value for money. Glasgow has just refurbished its gym and is pretty good, and for £35 a year you can't go wrong. Edinburgh is meant to have excellent gym facilities but I believe it costs £130 to join (or so I've heard) so there is a vast difference there.
WOLLSMOTH

Imperial is complete crap, it is in the middle of the city, it is dead expensive and it is ******* ugly at that.
Reply 39
WOLLSMOTH

UCL, yes.

Imperial? Maybe.

But LSE and King's? I'm a bit lurker with that.

Been to both campuses but nothing was there that surprised me. I thought LSE was rather disappointing. Though I thought the LSE Library was kind of cool. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending