The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

NOT put on hold by Bristol Univeristy?

I've heard that many applicants are put on hold if Bristol is seriously considering them. I haven't heard anything from them since I got an acknowledgment letter and I haven't been put on hold like my friend who applied on the same day as me. I am applying for Psychology in Education and I am predicted AAC and A* in EPQ. My GCSEs are also 8877666655. Should I be worried? Is this a sign of instant rejection?
Reply 1
Original post by euds
I've heard that many applicants are put on hold if Bristol is seriously considering them. I haven't heard anything from them since I got an acknowledgment letter and I haven't been put on hold like my friend who applied on the same day as me. I am applying for Psychology in Education and I am predicted AAC and A* in EPQ. My GCSEs are also 8877666655. Should I be worried?

When did you send in your application?

Did your friend apply for the same course as you?

I have no idea how Bristol's admissions people work, but it's possible that they've simply not processed your application yet. Maybe it's only certain courses where they put applicants "on hold". Maybe they do courses in batches to facilitate consistent decision making, and they just haven't got to the batch containing your application yet. Who knows?

Bear in mind that most universities are closed currently for Christmas/New Year.

Is this a sign of instant rejection?

A sign of instant rejection would be that you were notified immediately of your application being unsuccessful. I can't see any benefit to any university of deciding not to make an offer but not telling the applicant quickly.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by euds
I've heard that many applicants are put on hold if Bristol is seriously considering them. I haven't heard anything from them since I got an acknowledgment letter and I haven't been put on hold like my friend who applied on the same day as me. I am applying for Psychology in Education and I am predicted AAC and A* in EPQ. My GCSEs are also 8877666655. Should I be worried? Is this a sign of instant rejection?

Hey There,

I don't think you should be worried about not put on hold. I've also applied to Bristol for entry in 2021 for Law. They probs just haven't looked at our applications yet; I applied on 2nd December. During the Christmas break they haven't been looking at applications and they'll start again on 4th Jan.
If they were giving you an instant rejection, it would come up on UCAS.

Hope everything works out
Good Luck!
Original post by euds

Having your application put 'on hold' is meaningless. It's just a courtesy from the uni to stop you chasing them for a decision. From a UCAS application perspective, the only relevant statuses are Pending, Offered and Rejected.

If you have heard nothing, then you are still being considered and you shouldn't read anything into other people's statuses or communications.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Having your application put 'on hold' is meaningless. It's just a courtesy from the uni to stop you chasing them for a decision. From a UCAS application perspective, the only relevant statuses are Pending, Offered and Rejected.

If you have heard nothing, then you are still being considered and you shouldn't read anything into other people's statuses or communications.

Thanks for clearing this up!
Reply 5
i was not put on hold at any point, but i was given an unconditional offer back in november. it likely depends on your course whether or not the application gets put on hold- but i wouldn't be worried if i were you. they may not have even processed the application! and if they weren't seriously considering you, they would have made your application successful on ucas right off the bat. good luck, hope you get an offer!!
Reply 6
Original post by ani919
i was not put on hold at any point, but i was given an unconditional offer back in november. it likely depends on your course whether or not the application gets put on hold- but i wouldn't be worried if i were you. they may not have even processed the application! and if they weren't seriously considering you, they would have made your application successful on ucas right off the bat. good luck, hope you get an offer!!

Ah, I see. thanks for the reassurance! I really appreciate it, best of luck
Reply 7
Original post by martin7
When did you send in your application?

Did your friend apply for the same course as you?

I have no idea how Bristol's admissions people work, but it's possible that they've simply not processed your application yet. Maybe it's only certain courses where they put applicants "on hold". Maybe they do courses in batches to facilitate consistent decision making, and they just haven't got to the batch containing your application yet. Who knows?

Bear in mind that most universities are closed currently for Christmas/New Year.

A sign of instant rejection would be that you were notified immediately of your application being unsuccessful. I can't see any benefit to any university of deciding not to make an offer but not telling the applicant quickly.

I applied on the of December and my friend and I applied for different courses. Thanks for the reassurance, I guess its just a matter of waiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending