The Student Room Group

My boss pressured me to resign and now I regret it

I work as a customer service assistant in a store. I've been working there for a little over a year. After I started uni this September, I became a temp to return in the holidays when I'm back in my hometown. Today my boss pulled me aside and asked me how things are going with balancing uni and work. I told her it was going well but she still somehow managed to manipulate the conversation into 'it must be tough especially as you get on in the course, so you can leave the company if you wish in order to focus on your uni studies' etc etc. She has this way of being so chirpy and friendly but manipulating the conversation so that the outcome is how she wants it to be, so during the conversation you've got this feeling that everything is good so you just nod your head but afterwards it starts to sink in that the outcome was different from your true wishes. So yeah, I somehow fell into it and agreed with her, so she wrote my resignation letter for me right there and then and now I only have 2 shifts left until I leave the company. It felt extremely odd but she did the same thing to the other temp who's gone to uni and is in the same position as me, so it's not like she was using this as an excuse to fire me.
I regret agreeing to it so much. I've been working really hard for this company, with hopes of using it as a backup since my course's graduate prospects aren't that great. I like my coworkers and I've started enjoying the work more and more as I get more experienced. The money is decent and I'm so close to reaching my savings goal of 10k which I was planning to put into an ISA. Is it too late to get my job back?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
She did the same thing to the other temp who's gone to uni and is in the same position as me, so it's not like she was using this as an excuse to fire me.
Wow, you aren’t having a good couple of weeks. It’s unfortunate. She clearly must have been pressured to reduce the working staff. Don’t let it get you down. Start looking for new job opportunities regardless of how you feel. Remember that to not see this a loss but a chance to start anew.
Reply 3
What reason would that be?
Reply 4
Original post by Yasuda
What reason would that be?

Well, I imagine that the company isn't doing too well because of covid (or maybe other reasons) and so they have to reduce the workforce. It makes sense that they would want to get rid of temps before full time people.
She was probably going to fire you anyway, and maybe she was trying to be nice by convincing you it was in your best interest? Or maybe she didn't want to look cruel to the other workers if you're friends with some, so this way she can say that you chose to leave.
^ look at this crybaby. Quit being a baby 👶
Original post by Yasuda
I work as a customer service assistant in a store. I've been working there for a little over a year. After I started uni this September, I became a temp to return in the holidays when I'm back in my hometown. Today my boss pulled me aside and asked me how things are going with balancing uni and work. I told her it was going well but she still somehow managed to manipulate the conversation into 'it must be tough especially as you get on in the course, so you can leave the company if you wish in order to focus on your uni studies' etc etc. She has this way of being so chirpy and friendly but manipulating the conversation so that the outcome is how she wants it to be, so during the conversation you've got this feeling that everything is good so you just nod your head but afterwards it starts to sink in that the outcome was different from your true wishes. So yeah, I somehow fell into it and agreed with her, so she wrote my resignation letter for me right there and then and now I only have 2 shifts left until I leave the company. It felt extremely odd but she did the same thing to the other temp who's gone to uni and is in the same position as me, so it's not like she was using this as an excuse to fire me.
I regret agreeing to it so much. I've been working really hard for this company, with hopes of using it as a backup since my course's graduate prospects aren't that great. I like my coworkers and I've started enjoying the work more and more as I get more experienced. The money is decent and I'm so close to reaching my savings goal of 10k which I was planning to put into an ISA. Is it too late to get my job back?

Speak to another manager and see if you can take back your notice.
Also make a complaint about her, it's unprofessional and she shouldn't have done that.
If the worst comes to the worst and you can't take back your notice I'd look for other jobs.
I don't think you really consented to this. Complain to another manager.

Please name the store as I don't want to shop there, should it be somewhere I go to.
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad
I don't think you really consented to this. Complain to another manager.

Please name the store as I don't want to shop there, should it be somewhere I go to.

One Stop, it's owned by Tesco so good luck with that :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest