The Student Room Group

Advice on my friendship

So I worked really hard in my career within art&design..I done GCSE Art, Went to study art&design in college...Ive studied at Uni, got my degree and now I'm still self-teaching myself.

But It's never easy there's been so many set backs/ always unsuccessful with responses to internships. But I never give up. I'm still working really hard to get some kind of experience.

My friend is also in the same field.. we met in college but went to different universities. BUT She's keeps asking me for design tips/advice.

I'm really hesitant but only give her basic design tips/advice. In my mind I just want to tell her "NO, Learn it yourself". Yes I know it's harsh... I worked hard but my friend hasn't put in any determination or willingness to learn things on her own.

I'm really passionate of my art and what Ive learned but I don't see why I should give her any advice (what I learned myself) when we both studied on the same course in college... we both studied the same course too at university.

Why should a hardworking person give out there knowledge to people who like to skip corners.. to put it bluntly lazy?

Outside of my career I love helping others within the community... every christmas I like giving a donation or my clothes to charity...even when I am unstable financially. Makes me realise how grateful I am, just want to be kind/helpful to people who have it really bad.

When it comes to my career, I am very hesitant to help as again I've worked really hard.

I am not trying to be boastful or anything like that.

Any advice, Please BE KIND... thank you!
Have you been in a similar situation
Reply 1
Original post by D7S
So I worked really hard in my career within art&design..I done GCSE Art, Went to study art&design in college...Ive studied at Uni, got my degree and now I'm still self-teaching myself.

But It's never easy there's been so many set backs/ always unsuccessful with responses to internships. But I never give up. I'm still working really hard to get some kind of experience.

My friend is also in the same field.. we met in college but went to different universities. BUT She's keeps asking me for design tips/advice.

I'm really hesitant but only give her basic design tips/advice. In my mind I just want to tell her "NO, Learn it yourself". Yes I know it's harsh... I worked hard but my friend hasn't put in any determination or willingness to learn things on her own.

I'm really passionate of my art and what Ive learned but I don't see why I should give her any advice (what I learned myself) when we both studied on the same course in college... we both studied the same course too at university.

Why should a hardworking person give out there knowledge to people who like to skip corners.. to put it bluntly lazy?

Outside of my career I love helping others within the community... every christmas I like giving a donation or my clothes to charity...even when I am unstable financially. Makes me realise how grateful I am, just want to be kind/helpful to people who have it really bad.

When it comes to my career, I am very hesitant to help as again I've worked really hard.

I am not trying to be boastful or anything like that.

Any advice, Please BE KIND... thank you!
Have you been in a similar situation

They are your friend so you should help them. I am not saying you should give them shortcuts but perhaps point them into the right direction. Some people aren't blessed with exceptional learning skills.

Quick Reply

Latest