The Student Room Group

Why is the term "UK variant" not being challenged on the same basis "wuhan flu" was?

The media is full of "UK covid variant". In the early days of the pandemic the media was full of "We really need to stop naming viruses after places. We wrecked Zika's tourist industry". So everyone agreed to call it covid. But now nobody is making the same argument when the place name is here in the UK. Given the rate at which this variant seems to replace the original covid, its strain we'll probably still be dealing with for some time. There's actually a real prospect of 'UK Coronavirus' entering common conversation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Because Wuhan flu tended to have a subtle racial dimension to it. That isnt to say callin it the UK varient is much better but it has more in common with the spanish flu, for example, than the way in which 'Wuhan virus' or 'kung klu' have.
Reply 2
Diseases are often named after whoever first identified them. It's the world's way of punishing academics.
Original post by Napp
Because Wuhan flu tended to have a subtle racial dimension to it. That isnt to say callin it the UK varient is much better but it has more in common with the spanish flu, for example, than the way in which 'Wuhan virus' or 'kung klu' have.

Well the naming of the Spanish flu was clearly unfair as well. And nobody seriously suggested calling it "kung flu". Naming it Wuhan Virus would have followed the precedent of the Zika Virus. Obviously it's unfair to stigmatise a place and the people there just because a virus happens to mutate there. Hence "Covid-19" has no reference to place. On the same principle of fairness, why is it ok to stigmatise the UK on account of a virus happening to mutate here?
Reply 4
Original post by Akuma
Well the naming of the Spanish flu was clearly unfair as well. And nobody seriously suggested calling it "kung flu". Naming it Wuhan Virus would have followed the precedent of the Zika Virus. Obviously it's unfair to stigmatise a place and the people there just because a virus happens to mutate there. Hence "Covid-19" has no reference to place. On the same principle of fairness, why is it ok to stigmatise the UK on account of a virus happening to mutate here?

How was it "unfair" it merely stated where it was observed, theres nothing inherently offensive about it.
Quite a few have actually.. not least of all the president.
No one is stigmatizing the UK? :s-smilie: What are you on about?
Original post by Napp
How was it "unfair" it merely stated where it was observed, theres nothing inherently offensive about it.
Quite a few have actually.. not least of all the president.
No one is stigmatizing the UK? :s-smilie: What are you on about?

Well yeah and most people agreed that the president shouldn't call it the China Virus. That's my whole point. We shouldn't call it that, or Spanish flu or anything else like that. But many of the people who made that argument seem to have accepted "UK variant coronavirus" into dialogue without a second thought. It's rapidly replacing the other versions and is likely to be the version that we deal with most often in the future, and hence what we call it will likely persist along with it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/reason-viruses-aren-t-named-after-locations-because-progress-experts-n1165366
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Akuma
Well yeah and most people agreed that the president shouldn't call it the China Virus. That's my whole point. We shouldn't call it that, or Spanish flu or anything else like that. But many of the people who made that argument seem to have accepted "UK variant coronavirus" into dialogue without a second thought. It's rapidly replacing the other versions and is likely to be the version that we deal with most often in the future, and hence what we call it will likely persist along with it.

It might well be, personally i doubt it as its a mouthful and isnt catchy - something that is rather essential for an offhand name for these things.
Either way, what does it matter if it does? This varient was discovered in the UK, thats not so much a slur as a statement of fact. Just like marburg is named for the german town it was discovered in, lassa fever for an african town and so on so forth. I really dont get the virulent objection to noting where it was found when its used as a mere geographical reference point as opposed to having innate offence built in - like 'china virus' which was thought up solely as a political slur.
Original post by Napp
It might well be, personally i doubt it as its a mouthful and isnt catchy - something that is rather essential for an offhand name for these things.
Either way, what does it matter if it does? This varient was discovered in the UK, thats not so much a slur as a statement of fact. Just like marburg is named for the german town it was discovered in, lassa fever for an african town and so on so forth. I really dont get the virulent objection to noting where it was found when its used as a mere geographical reference point as opposed to having innate offence built in - like 'china virus' which was thought up solely as a political slur.

Well here's an article from back when the topic was in the media.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/reason-viruses-aren-t-named-after-locations-because-progress-experts-n1165366

I don't see very much rationale explained for why "Chinese flu" is worse than "Spanish flu", which is a bit closer to the perfectly ok "UK flu".
Reply 8
Original post by Akuma
Well here's an article from back when the topic was in the media.

I don't see very much rationale explained for why "Chinese flu" is worse than "Spanish flu", which is a bit closer to the perfectly ok "UK flu".

As i said there is nothing wrong with it, in of itself, the fact its been politisised and is used exclusively to bash the chinese is where it becomes problematic. Note every politician that insists on calling it the china flu, wuhan virus etc. is a sinophobe and spends most of their free time rubbishing China as a threat to the world.
Original post by Napp
As i said there is nothing wrong with it, in of itself, the fact its been politisised and is used exclusively to bash the chinese is where it becomes problematic. Note every politician that insists on calling it the china flu, wuhan virus etc. is a sinophobe and spends most of their free time rubbishing China as a threat to the world.

Well I'm sure lots of people who dislike the UK will enjoy calling it "UK coronavirus" too. The only reason terms like China Flu and Wuhan Virus didn't get any traction is that most people accepted the points made at the time. That article reflects the tone of the discussion. Yet "UK Variant" just passes unnoticed.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Akuma
Well I'm sure lots of people who dislike the UK will enjoy calling it "UK coronavirus" too. The only reason terms like China Flu and Wuhan Virus didn't get any traction is that most people accepted the points made at the time. That article reflects the tone of the discussion. Yet "UK Variant" just passes unnoticed.

If someone is that petty then so be it. As i asked before though, who cares? Least of all about the opinions of some uppity foreigner who thinks 'uk virus' is some form of a slur.
Because 'uk varient' is not offensive to anyone except those possibly looking for ways to be offended.
Because China is much better and standing up for its own interests than the uk..

It could have very easily been known as the chinese/Wuhan x/y If there hasn’t been a concerted effort from many to make sure that didn’t happen.. thankfully facilitated by the left who were very happy to see the progressive/racial side to it.

There is no such movement for this current variant to not be called the uk variant though, and even if there was, it wouldn’t become a progressive cause because it doesn’t fit the narrative. You can’t be racist to white People and the uk is a colonial nation that doesn’t suffer at all.. so there is nothing wrong or racist about calling it the uk variant/virus...
Is it being called the UK variant widely outside the UK?
Original post by barnetlad
Is it being called the UK variant widely outside the UK?

Yes- with particular joy here in China by the people i speak to... mostly just as a joke though.
VUI-202012/01 doesn't really have a catchy ring to it. I doubt most British people even bat an eye when they hear "UK variant".
Original post by fallen_acorns
Because China is much better and standing up for its own interests than the uk..

It could have very easily been known as the chinese/Wuhan x/y If there hasn’t been a concerted effort from many to make sure that didn’t happen.. thankfully facilitated by the left who were very happy to see the progressive/racial side to it.

There is no such movement for this current variant to not be called the uk variant though, and even if there was, it wouldn’t become a progressive cause because it doesn’t fit the narrative. You can’t be racist to white People and the uk is a colonial nation that doesn’t suffer at all.. so there is nothing wrong or racist about calling it the uk variant/virus...

What about South Africa? Is there some criteria we can apply to see if we should care about calling it the "South African variant"? There's a possibility that the vaccines may not even work on that strain. So 'South African variant Covid' may be with us for some time. It looks a little bit as though this new rule only applies to China.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending