The Student Room Group

What are chances of acceptance to KCL Economics application

I'm applying through ucas for economics to KCL,Warwick,Durham,Bristol and Cardiff. I have a 41/45 predicted and a 776 in HLs, with an above average personal statement and decent reference letter, what would my chances of acceptance be?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ariacrystal
I'm applying through ucas for economics to KCL,Warwick,Durham,Bristol and Cardiff. I have a 41/45 predicted and a 776 in HLs, with an above average personal statement and decent reference letter, what would my chances of acceptance be?

No one on tsr can andrew this. If you think you can meet their standard offer and are suited to the course then apply. It’s the only way to find out.

Are you sure you would want to study in London? Your choices are quite unusual.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
No one on tsr can andrew this. If you think you can meet their standard offer and are suited to the course then apply. It’s the only way to find out.

Are you sure you would want to study in London? Your choices are quite unusual.

hi! i decided to apply to the UK just a few days back so i didn't have enough time to research, what exactly do you mean by unusual?
hi! i decided to apply to the UK just a few days back so i didn't have enough time to research, what exactly do you mean by unusual?

Not many people who would be happy living in Warwick or Durham for 3+ years would be happy living in London too. Bristol and Cardiff are bigger cities but very different to the experience you’d have at KCL in London.

Also king's doesn't really even have an economics department and has only just started offering a BSc Economics which would concern me a bit, employers know that king's is strong in political economy but not actual economics.

Other than that, Cardiff is far worse than all your other choices which is a bit odd. Warwick, Durham and Bristol are good choices though with strong Econ departments, teaching and employability. The order of preference for those would be Warwick > Bristol > Durham but it depends on what you find most important because Bristol would be the best uni to live at. It's a nice vibrant young city, Warwick is the middle of nowhere and their nearest city Coventry is terrible, Durham is a pretty and small city but is really far north and really really small haha. Hopefully that helps
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BenRyan99
Also king's doesn't really even have an economics department and has only just started offering a BSc Economics which would concern me a bit, employers know that king's is strong in political economy but not actual economics.

Other than that, Cardiff is far worse than all your other choices which is a bit odd. Warwick, Durham and Bristol are good choices though with strong Econ departments, teaching and employability. The order of preference for those would be Warwick > Bristol > Durham but it depends on what you find most important because Bristol would be the best uni to live at. It's a nice vibrant young city, Warwick is the middle of nowhere and their nearest city Coventry is terrible, Durham is a pretty and small city but is really far north and really really small haha. Hopefully that helps

Original post by PQ
Not many people who would be happy living in Warwick or Durham for 3+ years would be happy living in London too. Bristol and Cardiff are bigger cities but very different to the experience you’d have at KCL in London.

Hi! I have changed my choices a little, I've changed Cardiff to Uni of Manchester. As far as whatever I've read, I've understood that warwick and durham are really good universities. I wanted to originally go for UCL economics bsc but they require a 7 in Math HL, whereas I have a 6 predicted, which is why I decided to go for Kings. I'm not sure if applying to UCL would be safe
Hi! I have changed my choices a little, I've changed Cardiff to Uni of Manchester. As far as whatever I've read, I've understood that warwick and durham are really good universities. I wanted to originally go for UCL economics bsc but they require a 7 in Math HL, whereas I have a 6 predicted, which is why I decided to go for Kings. I'm not sure if applying to UCL would be safe

Yh you probably won’t get an offer from ucl but you get 5 options so could try if you want. Warwick is definitely the least likely of ur options to give you an offer. I’d say you’re very likely to get one from kings so don’t worry. The general ranking for ur choices would probably be Warwick>Bristol/ Durham/ Kings > Manchester.I don’t think ur choices are that weird. Loads of econ students apply to both London unis and Warwick.

Warwick and Durham are good universities - but they're in small cities and very different to living in London. If you're used to living in a big city then you may struggle to settle in at either place no matter how good (or not) the teaching is and vice versa if you aren't used to living in a big city and decide to study in London.

No application choice is "safe" that's why you have 5 choices on UCAS so that you can use 2/3 for riskier options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending