The Student Room Group

Why haven't university students got refunds?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uni_Student321
And I think this reply shows what your true intention is here. It's not to actually listen to the concerns of students but to just act like you know best and dismiss anything that you disagree with.

He is good on car questions!
Original post by anonuser99
I'm gonna go ahead and stick to my guns on "most" here. And the ones that think they've been lied to probably had some unreasonable expectations from the jump.
Someone else mentioned society and nights out I think, I never directed my reply at you.

So yes, those students who were lied to were just meant to assume they were being lied to and it definitely wasn't the fault of universities...

In any other sector, it is up to the seller to sell their product accurately, not for the customer to assume the seller is lying.
Reply 42
And I think this reply shows what your true intention is here. It's not to actually listen to the concerns of students but to just act like you know best and dismiss anything that you disagree with.

You're still benefitting from the accomodation you're "paying" for, yes?
Original post by Scotney
I think first year students were mislead and second year students are between a rock and a hard place as they have had two years of disruption but if they pull out they cannot get funding to do a degree later. If I was a fresher I would have deferred in Sept as writing was on the wall tbh.

You definitely can get funding to do the degree later if you suspend it.
Original post by IWMTom
You're still benefitting from the accomodation you're "paying" for, yes?

They are stuck in rabbit hutches when they could have stsyed at home. You are just at it this morning!
Reply 45
In other sectors, you can get a refund if the product or service you buy isn't what you were sold. Why is it so hard for university students to get refunds?

If the government wants to treat the university sector as a business, then students really should get more protection if the service they are paying for isn't what they were sold.

If you're going to take this argument to its conclusion, you are also going to need to argue that the government reduce your loan this year (in line with those who live at home) - would you be happy with that?
Reply 46
Original post by Scotney
They are stuck in rabbit hutches when they could have stsyed at home. You are just at it this morning!

So? They're paying for the services in the contract they signed.

Are you proposing that the Government nullify private contracts? Hah.
So yes, those students who were lied to were just meant to assume they were being lied to and it definitely wasn't the fault of universities...

In any other sector, it is up to the seller to sell their product accurately, not for the customer to assume the seller is lying.

If a seller says, in an uncertain situation, "to the best of our knowledge, this is how things will go" and they attempt to create that reality but ultimately fail (which is what probably happened at most unis) and things change in a minor way that probably could've been predicted by anyone with 2 ounces of foresight. Then yeah, they don't need to refund anyone.

I think your question is more, why isn't your uni refunding you, in which case, take it up with your uni. As is evident, most people haven't been lied to like you say you have.
Original post by 2500_2
If you're going to take this argument to its conclusion, you are also going to need to argue that the government reduce your loan this year (in line with those who live at home) - would you be happy with that?

Rubbish! They were made to attend campus and locked into accommodation contracts. Lied to and depending on course has been a waste of time and money for many.
And I really doubt anyone here can try to argue that "online practicals" are anywhere near as good as in-person practicals.
Reply 50
And I really doubt anyone here can try to argue that "online practicals" are anywhere near as good as in-person practicals.

You could always have deferred if you didn't like the tuition you were receiving, as is your right?
Original post by IWMTom
You could always have deferred if you didn't like the tuition you were receiving, as is your right?

Or I could complain, as is my right, that we aren't being given what we are paying for and that students should be getting refunds.
Reply 52
Or I could complain, as is my right, that we aren't being given what we are paying for and that students should be getting refunds.

You're not getting a refund mate.
Original post by IWMTom
You're not getting a refund mate.

I can still try, mate.
Ultimately you chose to continue/start your studies with the backdrop of a pandemic, yes universities shouldnt have made promises they cant keep but when the guidance is changing every 5 seconds you should have anticipated some disruption.
I graduated in 2020 and we were thrust into this pandemic having no idea of it before March of our final year. No refunds were given so i am unsure as to why people who went in knowing the risks now want a refund. Its like booking a flight in current times, you know the risks of it changing or being cancelled.
Reply 55
I can still try, mate.

Not really. You're in a contract. The contract is being fulfilled. No one will refund you.
To be fair, I think students who paid for accommodation and were then kicked out should be given refunds. Otherwise you should suck it up because you're getting what you paid for.

So's yours? :redface:
Original post by StriderHort

You claim to be unconvinced by my argument because you're arguing in bad faith. My being unconvinced by your argument has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:
Original post by StriderHort

Well no one has really given a reason why we can't get refunds. All most people have said is we are being given what we are paying for, but we clearly aren't.

Quick Reply

Latest