imj32
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
In less than 3 weeks, I have to choose my GCSEs; luckily, I have already chosen 3 out of the 4 options our school allows Along with English lit, English language, maths, biology, physics, chemistry, I have chosen French, Drama, and History. I still need to choose one more option . I've narrowed it down to being either German, or Geography, but I don't know heather to do two humanities or two languages!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any information on GCSE GEOGRAPHY OR GERMAN thx
TrES2b
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
gcse geo was very interesting in my opinion and its less likely to clash with your other subjects, whereas studying two languages might be too much for your brain and you may get confused

gcse geo was quiete easy and fun
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by TrES2b)
gcse geo was very interesting in my opinion and its less likely to clash with your other subjects, whereas studying two languages might be too much for your brain and you may get confused

gcse geo was quiete easy and fun
thx ! im just worried that doing geo and history at the same time would be quite a lot to remember and very content heavy...ahhh I really don’t know 😬
Ruthie17
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Pick whichever one you are most interested in and think you will enjoy !

Good luck with your GCSEs !
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruthie17)
Pick whichever one you are most interested in and think you will enjoy !

Good luck with your GCSEs !
thx ☺️
TrES2b
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by imj32)
thx ! im just worried that doing geo and history at the same time would be quite a lot to remember and very content heavy...ahhh I really don’t know 😬
i think with taking two languages it will be difficult as thats two oral exams, two writting exams, two reading exams and youre more likely to get muddled up.

as for geo it was that much content to memorize actually as long as you understood the "why" behind everything it was pretty easy to get by. also the questions were very repitive for my exam board (edexcel) i cant speak for others but the questions tend to repeat themselves so learning from the mark scheme helped a lot. and lastly the paper is split into different components (:

i cant speak on behalf of history because i didnt take it im sorry
_bethan_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I chose GCSE Geography as a last-minute decision and loved it - I'm doing it at A-level. I really liked comparing it to everyday life and a lot of the case studies for AQA were within the last 10 years so I was able to learn about current events. I also did History and really loved that as well (also doing it for A-level).

I never thought that two humanities were too much and scored quite well overall so I don't think it is a burden if it is something you enjoy. Think about what you are strongest at and what you want to do in the future and maybe try to work backwards?
Ruthie17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
At the end of the day GCSEs are just about getting that high grade, so if you choose to apply to university it shows you have high academic record.
Ruthie17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So it’s about picking what you know you can succeed in - which is again usually the things/ topics we enjoy 😊
Monsur x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do u like languages? I mean from year 7-9/10 u must’ve done a language b4 these GCSES
did u enjoy then? Like did u have an interest?
If so then yh u can do two languages

But I know it will be hard
And my friend when we were doing GCSE’s she chose geo and history and regretted her decision so much
Buut if ur more into essay writing and analysis for history
And somewhat enjoy geography about climate beaches rocks , pollution migration all that stuff then yh pick geo

Lmk If I helped !

Monsur x
yaashaa1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i think doing two humanities is really good and i feel like geog is good mix between skills in science and re/english lit.

depending on the exam board it could be super easy for you to get a good grade. i did OCR and got an 8 with like 70%. it wasn’t easy (i disagree with what the person above said) but i didn’t feel like i deserved more than a 6 because it was a fluke.

and it will be hard to do alongside history and sciences but probably not harder than two languages. but that’s just me and my strengths. plus no one has ever called gcses easy, they’ll be hard regardless!!

just make sure you find out what exam board you’re doing before you choose any subjects and read the specification, which is a list setting out everything you need to learn. sometimes the same subject can be horrible on one exam board and great on another.

also consider what you may want to do in the future and if you’ll need one subject more than the other to be able to do that! you can probably do any a levels / btecs with the subjects you’re doing but just make sure you’re not closing any doors you might need. i know it’s daunting thinking so far into the future when you’re in y8/9 but it’s important you make wise choices. you don’t have to choose a career rn but just think about it and make sure you’re keeping your options open.

it’s up to you, and what you believe your strengths to be. but if i were you i would do geography.

good luck with everything!
bejie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by imj32)
In less than 3 weeks, I have to choose my GCSEs; luckily, I have already chosen 3 out of the 4 options our school allows Along with English lit, English language, maths, biology, physics, chemistry, I have chosen French, Drama, and History. I still need to choose one more option . I've narrowed it down to being either German, or Geography, but I don't know heather to do two humanities or two languages!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any information on GCSE GEOGRAPHY OR GERMAN thx
choose the easier/interesting subject out the two, or the subject that you are currently getting the better grade as that is the most important thing in gcse.
DOOODARS
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Go with whatever you’re interested in.

If you have equal interest, I’d personally say geography, as two languages can get confusing, but that’s just my opinion
randomuser:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You are more likely to mix up two languages, especially in speaking tests (believe me, I know haha) but two humanities are likely to have much more homework and you will write a lot of essays in the next few years (although I didn't do either for GCSE so I don't know how hard it is)
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Monsur x)
Do u like languages? I mean from year 7-9/10 u must’ve done a language b4 these GCSES
did u enjoy then? Like did u have an interest?
If so then yh u can do two languages

But I know it will be hard
And my friend when we were doing GCSE’s she chose geo and history and regretted her decision so much
Buut if ur more into essay writing and analysis for history
And somewhat enjoy geography about climate beaches rocks , pollution migration all that stuff then yh pick geo

Lmk If I helped !

Monsur x
I guess I’m less good as science based subjects, so if geography is more in the sciency and less on the artsy side it may be best to go for two languages I have done both German and French , and get similar grades in each ; I find French easier , but equally enjoy German !thx for the advice
Last edited by imj32; 5 months ago
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by yaashaa1)
i think doing two humanities is really good and i feel like geog is good mix between skills in science and re/english lit.

depending on the exam board it could be super easy for you to get a good grade. i did OCR and got an 8 with like 70%. it wasn’t easy (i disagree with what the person above said) but i didn’t feel like i deserved more than a 6 because it was a fluke.

and it will be hard to do alongside history and sciences but probably not harder than two languages. but that’s just me and my strengths. plus no one has ever called gcses easy, they’ll be hard regardless!!

just make sure you find out what exam board you’re doing before you choose any subjects and read the specification, which is a list setting out everything you need to learn. sometimes the same subject can be horrible on one exam board and great on another.

also consider what you may want to do in the future and if you’ll need one subject more than the other to be able to do that! you can probably do any a levels / btecs with the subjects you’re doing but just make sure you’re not closing any doors you might need. i know it’s daunting thinking so far into the future when you’re in y8/9 but it’s important you make wise choices. you don’t have to choose a career rn but just think about it and make sure you’re keeping your options open.

it’s up to you, and what you believe your strengths to be. but if i were you i would do geography.

good luck with everything!
thank u for the advice xx
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by _bethan_)
I chose GCSE Geography as a last-minute decision and loved it - I'm doing it at A-level. I really liked comparing it to everyday life and a lot of the case studies for AQA were within the last 10 years so I was able to learn about current events. I also did History and really loved that as well (also doing it for A-level).

I never thought that two humanities were too much and scored quite well overall so I don't think it is a burden if it is something you enjoy. Think about what you are strongest at and what you want to do in the future and maybe try to work backwards?
thank u this was really helpful I’ve only started to enjoy geography this year, as we’re focusing a lot on human geography - I’m just not sure whether gcse geography will be more physical /science based - we’re doing AQA btw xx
Last edited by imj32; 5 months ago
Benji8492
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I might be the only one but I have found geography a hell of a lot to revise against other subjects I'm doing. When I was picking my gcses I didnt take into account how much work any of my subjects would be and thats just made this year (gcse year) a lot harder. Unpopular opinion but if I were you I would take the easiest exams possible that have the highest chance to get you a 9 because as I've realised you dont need to have done a subject for gcse to have the choice to do with a levels BUT if you end up with bad gcse results you may not have good enough grades to get into a 6 form college that you want so I'd say focus on easy grading subjects and what your good at (and also the least amount of coursework subjects because that takes away from revision time).
imj32
Rep:
?
(Original post by Benji8492)
I might be the only one but I have found geography a hell of a lot to revise against other subjects I'm doing. When I was picking my gcses I didnt take into account how much work any of my subjects would be and thats just made this year (gcse year) a lot harder. Unpopular opinion but if I were you I would take the easiest exams possible that have the highest chance to get you a 9 because as I've realised you dont need to have done a subject for gcse to have the choice to do with a levels BUT if you end up with bad gcse results you may not have good enough grades to get into a 6 form college that you want so I'd say focus on easy grading subjects and what your good at (and also the least amount of coursework subjects because that takes away from revision time).
that’s a good point thx !
_bethan_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by imj32)
thank u this was really helpful I’ve only started to enjoy geography this year, as we’re focusing a lot on human geography - I’m just not sure whether gcse geography will be more physical /science based - we’re doing AQA btw xx
I did AQA as well and the 'science' elements are not particularly 'sciency' - you mostly learn about processes which I thought was fun. From what I can remember (sorry in advance!) I did case studies on volcanoes and earthquakes - tectonic hazards (physical for the process and human consequences), tropical storms (physical and human - same as before), rivers and coasts (physical with elements of how this affected locals and the management that was required to resolve these issues), tropical rainforests and deserts (physical when learning about the ecosystem as a whole and human when exploring the effects of deforestation etc), and case studies on Brazil and London (human). There were more but there is a lot of cross over between both sides of the course. For a lot of these, I looked at how the event happened, e.g. the formation of Tropical Storm Haiyan and then what the impacts of this were on the local communities.

I also did a topic which focused a lot on renewable energy and that really supported a similar topic in the Edexcel physics GCSE and a lot of the skills for both history and geography are interchangeable which is really useful. It might be different for you, but I thought that there was a good mix and between history and geography, I found geography the most useful in terms of linking to my other subjects.

This was just my experience so with whatever makes you happy and the best of luck! I hope this has been useful, but definitely PM me if you have any more questions or want any advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%