Alileahg1294
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Only recently decided what I wanted to do as a job and I’ve been looking at doing psychology at Bristol; they require a 6 at GCSE maths. I got a 4 😬 At GCSE I got an 8, a 7, three 6s, two 5s and one 4. If I were to get high grades at a-level, would they be more lenient? I’m doing psychology, french and English literature.
Last edited by Alileahg1294; 5 months ago
danaaltajer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I got an offer from Bristol (not for psychology though)- my GCSEs weren't the best but I have improved since A levels. If your predicted A level grades and personal statement are good I think you definitely will get an offer if you go to a state school, see if you are eligible for a contextual offer? That might help as well. Also, maybe you can resit Maths GCSE if you have the time and that's something you're willing to do?
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
(Original post by danaaltajer)
Hi, I got an offer from Bristol (not for psychology though)- my GCSEs weren't the best but I have improved since A levels. If your predicted A level grades and personal statement are good I think you definitely will get an offer if you go to a state school, see if you are eligible for a contextual offer? That might help as well. Also, maybe you can resit Maths GCSE if you have the time and that's something you're willing to do?
Hi, that’s great! I’m currently in year 12 and had teacher assessed grades, so I’m unable to retake my GCSE ☹️ Thank you for the help! What would you say is your key tips for personal statement writing?
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Are you sure you cannot retake usually you can. They give you some lessons and then in a couple of months usually you can sit them. Maybe look into booking a resit as it is worth it. This is coming from someone who doesn't meet their entry grade requirements for GCSE and i am telling you in advance it is a pain. It is doable but a lot of unis straight out will reject you especially as psychology usually has a high number of applicants. If you definitely cannot do it then don't worry but it is best if you can. Sometimes the college/sixth form doesn't advertise it but if you ask they will allow you to resit you just gotta enquire around.
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
I can’t retake since we were given teacher assessed grades, and they’re not letting us retake as apparently it’s unfair? The school had to make a decision as whole to retake.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Alileahg1294)
Only recently decided what I wanted to do as a job and I’ve been looking at doing psychology at Bristol; they require a 6 at GCSE maths. I got a 4 😬 At GCSE I got an 8, a 7, three 6s, two 5s and one 4. If I were to get high grades at a-level, would they be more lenient? I’m doing psychology, french and English literature.
If your a-level grades are good then it's still worth applying.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I can’t retake since we were given teacher assessed grades, and they’re not letting us retake as apparently it’s unfair? The school had to make a decision as whole to retake.
*is confused. What? i guess they had to make a decision whether they would put everyone into retakes? As it costs money. I swear though at college/sixth form you are entitled to retake as an individual. That does not sound right to me.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
GCSEs are key skills and if any leading Uni states that they want a grade 6 in Maths, that IS what they mean.
If you apply without that, you make it very easy for the Admissions team - they will simply reject you.
The only obvious exception is where you are taking an A level etc in Maths.

If you dont have the right GCSE grade in any subject, it is worth retaking it alongside your A levels.
Ask your school if you can do this . You would then add it to your application as a 'pending qualification' and any offer would just include it as an additional condition.
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
(Original post by something_orphic)
*is confused. What? i guess they had to make a decision whether they would put everyone into retakes? As it costs money. I swear though at college/sixth form you are entitled to retake as an individual. That does not sound right to me.
I think you’re normally able to, but because we didn’t do exams and they expected most people to want to resit, I guess we aren’t allowed to?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by danaaltajer)
Hi, I got an offer from Bristol (not for psychology though)- my GCSEs weren't the best but I have improved since A levels. If your predicted A level grades and personal statement are good I think you definitely will get an offer if you go to a state school, see if you are eligible for a contextual offer?
You were not made an offer for Psychology - so this is not relevant.
Contextual offers are about A level grades - the GCSE requirements apply to everyone.

And btw, you havn't got a clue if they will 'definitely' make this person an offer.
You may not mean to mislead, but this is a silly suggestion when actually you have no idea.
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
GCSEs are key skills and if any leading Uni states that they want a grade 6 in Maths, that IS what they mean.
If you apply without that, you make it very easy for the Admissions team - they will simply reject you.
The only obvious exception is where you are taking an A level etc in Maths.

If you dont have the right GCSE grade in any subject, it is worth retaking it alongside your A levels.
Ask your school if you can do this . You would then add it to your application as a 'pending qualification' and any offer would just include it as an additional condition.
Okay, thank you. My school offers ‘core maths’ which is worth half an a level. If I’m not able to retake maths, would you recommend taking core maths?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Okay, thank you. My school offers ‘core maths’ which is worth half an a level. If I’m not able to retake maths, would you recommend taking core maths?
If you click on the link beside the GCSE requirements on the Psych course page you get to this : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...gher-numeracy/
which gives you what else they will accept for this requirement. Core Maths is acceptable - grade B.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think you’re normally able to, but because we didn’t do exams and they expected most people to want to resit, I guess we aren’t allowed to?
Ah okay thats rly weird though. I would double check this just to be sure and then i would probably take that core maths course as you need something to prove your mathematical capability. Getting into uni when ur two grades below the GCSE requirement is hard believe me. I have pretty decent A level grade predicted ABB and i have to apply to much lower grade unis (which idm bc i rly want to do my course but it is rly annoying not to have much choices).
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
If you click on the link beside the GCSE requirements on the Psych course page you get to this : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...gher-numeracy/
which gives you what else they will accept for this requirement. Core Maths is acceptable - grade B.
Thank you so much for finding this!!
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so much for finding this!!
No problem.

Bristol is worth making an effort for, its a great place to live : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Alileahg1294
Rep:
?
No problem.

Bristol is worth making an effort for, its a great place to live : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
yeah, I know. I live nearby
fleuriegrace
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would recommend giving the admission office a call and talk to them properly, as they're the ones who know really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (80)
38.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
10.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (14)
6.67%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
24.29%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (26)
12.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads