The Student Room Group

Music and mental health survey

Hi everyone. If anyone has the time to answer some questions about mental health and music for me that would be great :smile: thank you!

1. What music do you like listening to and why?

2. How often do you listen to music on your own? And how many hours a week?

3. Why do you listen to music? (When you are alone)

4.Where and when do you listen to music?

5. Do you listen to different genres depending on your mood or what you’re doing?

6.Is music important to you? Does it help with your mental health? Why?

7.Are there any songs that have a deeper meaning to you? What songs?

8. Do you like listening to music with others? For example at a party. Do you prefer listening to music with others or when you are alone?

9.Does music help you concentrate when working/ studying?

10.Has a song ever made you cry?

11. Do you think sad music helps you when you are sad or not?

12. Would you rather listen to sad or happy music when you are sad?

Any other comments about music etc

Thank you
1: any type of music tbh because I need a variety of songs I can't just stick to one type forever
2: Very often. Probably 27 hours a week. (This can vary though)
3:Because I want to feel a certain type of emotion or I just need nostalgia.
4:From the minute I wake up in my room to the minute I fall asleep (I usually have a break while I'm studying tho)
5:It depends on my mood.
6:Yes music is important to me and helps my mental health because it reflects how I feel or how I want to feel. I struggle with expressing myself so it helps.
7:There are too many (every single song I've listened to) but I would go with 'No air' - Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown because I have a good childhood memory of when I was in a foreign country and this song played in the background while the sun was setting. Great feels. Now because of this, I chase feels when I listen to music.
8:I prefer to listen alone but I still enjoy listening with others (It's more special when it's just me).
9:I can't listen to music when I'm reading something but I can listen to it when I have to write something. I dunno lol.
10:Yep.
11:Yes I think it helps. However, I have to be wary of the lyrics because it can trigger some super negative thoughts sometimes.
12:h:(Happy). Because it calms me down.
13:Overtime I have figured out that what truly makes songs special, Is the memories you attach to them. Soz didn't know what else to say.
(edited 3 years ago)
1. A bit of everything to be honest, I start the day with not necessarily happy songs but with upbeat ones

2. I used to listen to it a lot like constantly have my headphones in but I now I only do it if im tidying or in the morning or late at night. 10 hours a week ish?

3. I just love music to be honest it fills the silence and I like to sing along to it even if im not too good at it!! If im a bit down I listen to music for nostalgia or sometimes I listen to upbeat songs from when I was little just to experience it all again

4. In the morning, late at night (around 3am as I cant sleep very well haha)

5. I used to, like when I was upset I would but now I don't I just listen to whatever song and usually quite upbeat ones that I can vibe to

6. Music gets me up in the morning and helps me have a better start to the day because I really dont like waking all that much

7. Any dog from my childhood really. I purposley associate songs with people too so those can be pretty heart breaking but also really fun!

8. I like both, I like by myself as I can pick my music and can skip what songs I like and just kinda listen to the lyrics or sing along, but with friends its so much fun to party and dance along. Even if you just share headphones with your friend its so much nicer

9. Surprisingly yes. I can block out sounds pretty easy so I kinda forget the music is there but subconsciously its helping me do my homework or an essay etc, Idk its just good luck at this point

10. Yes, my friend and I loved this one song and then we drifted majorly and now and again I listen to it slowed on youtube (:

11. Yes, of course it does the lyrics can make you cry even more but they can be soothing too. Happy songs when you are sad are even worse because you cant experience the emotion portrayed in the song. Happy songs slowed down are heartbreaking ahhh

Reply 3
Original post by Supdrise
1: any type of music tbh because I need a variety of songs I can't just stick to one type forever
2: Very often. Probably 27 hours a week. (This can vary though)
3:Because I want to feel a certain type of emotion or I just need nostalgia.
4:From the minute I wake up in my room to the minute I fall asleep (I usually have a break while I'm studying tho)
5:It depends on my mood.
6:Yes music is important to me and helps my mental health because it reflects how I feel or how I want to feel. I struggle with expressing myself so it helps.
7:There are too many (every single song I've listened to) but I would go with 'No air' - Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown because I have a good childhood memory of when I was in a foreign country and this song played in the background while the sun was setting. Great feels. Now because of this, I chase feels when I listen to music.
8:I prefer to listen alone but I still enjoy listening with others (It's more special when it's just me).
9:I can't listen to music when I'm reading something but I can listen to it when I have to write something. I dunno lol.
10:Yep.
11:Yes I think it helps. However, I have to be wary of the lyrics because it can trigger some super negative thoughts sometimes.
12:h:(Happy). Because it calms me down.
13:Overtime I have figured out that what truly makes songs special, Is the memories you attach to them. Soz didn't know what else to say.

Thank you for this. It will be useful for me and my university project :smile: I find your responses really interesting. Music really is important in people’s lives. Do you find you listen to music more or less since the pandemic?
Reply 4
Original post by gin_n_tonic
1. A bit of everything to be honest, I start the day with not necessarily happy songs but with upbeat ones

2. I used to listen to it a lot like constantly have my headphones in but I now I only do it if im tidying or in the morning or late at night. 10 hours a week ish?

3. I just love music to be honest it fills the silence and I like to sing along to it even if im not too good at it!! If im a bit down I listen to music for nostalgia or sometimes I listen to upbeat songs from when I was little just to experience it all again

4. In the morning, late at night (around 3am as I cant sleep very well haha)

5. I used to, like when I was upset I would but now I don't I just listen to whatever song and usually quite upbeat ones that I can vibe to

6. Music gets me up in the morning and helps me have a better start to the day because I really dont like waking all that much

7. Any dog from my childhood really. I purposley associate songs with people too so those can be pretty heart breaking but also really fun!

8. I like both, I like by myself as I can pick my music and can skip what songs I like and just kinda listen to the lyrics or sing along, but with friends its so much fun to party and dance along. Even if you just share headphones with your friend its so much nicer

9. Surprisingly yes. I can block out sounds pretty easy so I kinda forget the music is there but subconsciously its helping me do my homework or an essay etc, Idk its just good luck at this point

10. Yes, my friend and I loved this one song and then we drifted majorly and now and again I listen to it slowed on youtube (:

11. Yes, of course it does the lyrics can make you cry even more but they can be soothing too. Happy songs when you are sad are even worse because you cant experience the emotion portrayed in the song. Happy songs slowed down are heartbreaking ahhh

Thank you for taking your time to answer these questions:smile: It’s nice to see people’s opinions. If you could answer one more question it would be great. Do you find that you listen to music more or less since the pandemic? (That’s if you are affected in your country/area that you live in) thank you :smile:

My fave genre is cheesy pop music (especially late 90s and early Noughties) because that was prominent in the charts when I was growing up. It's good nostalgia. My favourite band is ABBA. I also like bits of Western art music (aka classical music), mainstream RnB, teeny bit of hip-hop/rap :awesome:

I listen to music on my own most days. It's hard to estimate how many hours a week but at a rough guess I'd say around 28 hours per week maybe? :dontknow:

It makes me feel less anxious when walking about, if I'm listening to my iPod. I like to listen to music home alone to either boost my mood, or to help me concentrate on my work. Occasionally I'll listen to music late at night if I'm really struggling to sleep :smile:

In my bedroom and when I'm travelling about on public transport. Also when I want to avoid having to make small talk with people in public settings :biggrin:

5. Do you listen to different genres depending on your mood or what you’re doing?

I have different playlists for different moods/needs (e.g. positivity playlist, sleep playlist, depressing music, etc.). It's usually a mixture of genres though, regardless of which playlist it is. The only playlist that is one genre/artist is my ABBA playlist :danceboy:

Yes, very, especially given that I'm doing a music degree :biggrin: It does help a lot with my mental health. I have psychosis and music is one fairly-reliable way of drowning out the voices :yep:

Oh loads of songs. Some I associate with certain people or certain times of life. Can't think of many direct examples atm though :getmecoat:

8. Do you like listening to music with others? For example at a party. Do you prefer listening to music with others or when you are alone?

I prefer to listen to music on my own, unless it's a disco where people are dancing and the focus is more on the music. It annoys me when I'm trying to listen to a TUNE or a fave piece of Western art music but people around me are talking :colonhash:

It often does, yes. I use music to help me concentrate. Doesn't always work, mind you :tongue:

I don't think so, no :nah:

It helps if it's something with lyrics. I'm not very good at articulating myself in person, so sometimes it helps to know that someone else is able to articulate similar feelings for me. Generally though, it's not healthy for me to listen to sad music when I'm sad - can lead to bad places :colondollar:

In all honesty, would rather listen to sad music. Or something in between. Or Western art music
Original post by elladh9
Thank you for this. It will be useful for me and my university project :smile: I find your responses really interesting. Music really is important in people’s lives. Do you find you listen to music more or less since the pandemic?

No problem btw. I've been listening to music much more since the pandemic only because I've had more time to explore more genres. It's my no° 1 form of escapism.
(edited 3 years ago)
I cant really pinpoint specific songs because its so random. I have music from the 50's, slowed pop songs, classical + jazz, russian songs (ic3peak mostly).. its weird... i know?
Very often... if i had to estimate... at least 10 hours a week
It calms me down (i have anxiety) and puts my mind off of the fact that there could be a demon watching me :smile:
In the shower and in my bedroom
Yes, definitely! When im tired i listen to classical, before starting work or when im gaming i listen to Russian music because its upbeat...
I personally think so, yes. It kind of like my escape from my mind cause i overthink alot. Its really tiring and draining having different thoughts so listening to music comforts me
This is reallyy random, but the song :This is america by childish Gambino is soooo good. the symbolism in the lyrics and the video are sooo overwhelming and i could talk about ti for soo long. Oooo billie eilish's song "idontwannabeyouanymore" cause when it came out i was around 13 and didnt really understand it but now i understand because i hate myself and always critisize myself
Depends on what they're playing. If i like the song then i listen to it with them because its really fun singing along with others.
Music without lyrics like classical or jazz work best for me cause it kind of acts like my white noise.
Never. I bottle things up and dont really cry a lot sooo no.
Kind of. Sad music helps me process what im sad about, so i can understand it, learn from it and move on.
Like i said before, i bottle things up meaning that i tend to push my problems away, so most likely happy music. If i reallyyy need to, then i listen to sad music.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

My fave genre is cheesy pop music (especially late 90s and early Noughties) because that was prominent in the charts when I was growing up. It's good nostalgia. My favourite band is ABBA. I also like bits of Western art music (aka classical music), mainstream RnB, teeny bit of hip-hop/rap :awesome:

I listen to music on my own most days. It's hard to estimate how many hours a week but at a rough guess I'd say around 28 hours per week maybe? :dontknow:

It makes me feel less anxious when walking about, if I'm listening to my iPod. I like to listen to music home alone to either boost my mood, or to help me concentrate on my work. Occasionally I'll listen to music late at night if I'm really struggling to sleep :smile:

In my bedroom and when I'm travelling about on public transport. Also when I want to avoid having to make small talk with people in public settings :biggrin:

I have different playlists for different moods/needs (e.g. positivity playlist, sleep playlist, depressing music, etc.). It's usually a mixture of genres though, regardless of which playlist it is. The only playlist that is one genre/artist is my ABBA playlist :danceboy:

Yes, very, especially given that I'm doing a music degree :biggrin: It does help a lot with my mental health. I have psychosis and music is one fairly-reliable way of drowning out the voices :yep:

Oh loads of songs. Some I associate with certain people or certain times of life. Can't think of many direct examples atm though :getmecoat:

I prefer to listen to music on my own, unless it's a disco where people are dancing and the focus is more on the music. It annoys me when I'm trying to listen to a TUNE or a fave piece of Western art music but people around me are talking :colonhash:

It often does, yes. I use music to help me concentrate. Doesn't always work, mind you :tongue:

I don't think so, no :nah:

It helps if it's something with lyrics. I'm not very good at articulating myself in person, so sometimes it helps to know that someone else is able to articulate similar feelings for me. Generally though, it's not healthy for me to listen to sad music when I'm sad - can lead to bad places :colondollar:

In all honesty, would rather listen to sad music. Or something in between. Or Western art music

Thank you for this :smile: It’s cool that you’re studying music too 😅
Reply 9
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by username5567842
No problem btw. I've been listening to music much more since the pandemic only because I've had more time to explore more genres. It's my no° 1 form of escapism.

Yeah that’s true. I probably listened to music more before this all started. I’m at home more now and I kind of get distracted when I listen to music if it has lyrics. I used to go on public transport all the time and that’s when I would listen to it most.
Reply 11
Original post by hijabibubbles
I cant really pinpoint specific songs because its so random. I have music from the 50's, slowed pop songs, classical + jazz, russian songs (ic3peak mostly).. its weird... i know?
Very often... if i had to estimate... at least 10 hours a week
It calms me down (i have anxiety) and puts my mind off of the fact that there could be a demon watching me :smile:
In the shower and in my bedroom
Yes, definitely! When im tired i listen to classical, before starting work or when im gaming i listen to Russian music because its upbeat...
I personally think so, yes. It kind of like my escape from my mind cause i overthink alot. Its really tiring and draining having different thoughts so listening to music comforts me
This is reallyy random, but the song :This is america by childish Gambino is soooo good. the symbolism in the lyrics and the video are sooo overwhelming and i could talk about ti for soo long. Oooo billie eilish's song "idontwannabeyouanymore" cause when it came out i was around 13 and didnt really understand it but now i understand because i hate myself and always critisize myself
Depends on what they're playing. If i like the song then i listen to it with them because its really fun singing along with others.
Music without lyrics like classical or jazz work best for me cause it kind of acts like my white noise.
Never. I bottle things up and dont really cry a lot sooo no.
Kind of. Sad music helps me process what im sad about, so i can understand it, learn from it and move on.
Like i said before, i bottle things up meaning that i tend to push my problems away, so most likely happy music. If i reallyyy need to, then i listen to sad music.

Ah that’s interesting. Thank you for this. I like listening to jazz when I’m working too. I hope you’re ok though, please don’t hate yourself:frown: I struggle with my confidence a lot of the time and I feel anxious a lot. Music helps me with this I guess.
Original post by elladh9
Ah that’s interesting. Thank you for this. I like listening to jazz when I’m working too. I hope you’re ok though, please don’t hate yourself:frown: I struggle with my confidence a lot of the time and I feel anxious a lot. Music helps me with this I guess.

You're welcome! I loveee jazz music :smile: Some days i hate myself, other days i love myself, its very weird... ill try my best tho!
Original post by elladh9
Thank you for taking your time to answer these questions:smile: It’s nice to see people’s opinions. If you could answer one more question it would be great. Do you find that you listen to music more or less since the pandemic? (That’s if you are affected in your country/area that you live in) thank you :smile:

surprisingly less! ive got so much time to spare due to lockdown and im trying to do all new things. I used to sit with my headphones in a lot but now try to do other things instead
Original post by elladh9
Thank you for this :smile: It’s cool that you’re studying music too 😅

Np! Btw, I'm listening to music less during the pandemic, because I'm going out less :colondollar:
Reply 15
1) What music do you like listening to and why?
Funk and Jazz are my very favourite kinds of music. I also like soul, sometimes rock or pop depending on how I'm feeling, romantic or classical (not such a big baroque fan) gospel is awesome too. Pretty much all these genres have a very upbeat/positive feel. I love music that's happy. Sad music rarely hits a spot for me.

2) How often do you listen to music on your own. And how many hours a week?
I listen to music constantly. Probably about 2-3 hours a day on my own and and another 2 with others.

3) Why do you listen to music when you're alone?
Well usually it's just to have something to jam to, chill out to, play along with or a recommendation from a friend.

4) Where and when do you listen to music?
Everywhere, but personal favourites are in the shower and on walks, or on my vinyl player. Any time of day really.

5) Do you listen to different genres depening on your mood?
Probably, yeah. If I'm tired I might be in the mood for something slower, like soul. I usually try my very hardest to avoid downbeat music because I know it won't help me get happier, so I stick to slower music with happier themes.

6) Is music important to you? Does it help with your mental health?
Yeah music is pretty much one of the most important things to me atm. It definitely helps with my mental health. Idk what I'd do without music.

7) Are there any songs that have a deeper meaning for you? What songs?
'Animal Spirits' by Vulfpeck is a song that I only ever played when I was happy, and thus it brings back happy memories. 'A little party never killed nobody' and 'Buffalo soldier' were both childhood favourites so lots of positive association there too.

8) Do you like listening to music with others (I.E at a party) Do you prefer this to listening alone?
Definitely prefer listening with others. Makes the whole experience even better.

9) Does music help you concentrate while studying?
No definitely not. I have to focus on studying but I always end up focusing on the music.

10) Has a song ever made you cry?
Yes. I was shattered ok

11) Do you think sad music helps you when you're sad?
God no. Just makes it all the worse.

12) Would you rather listen to happy or sad music when you're sad?
Definitely happy. Otherwise I'll just end up wallowing in misery that I don't need to wallow in

Music is my favourite thing to listen to and play but I'm just really not a sad music fan. I think this makes me a happier person but idk.

Hope this helps!
1. I like listening to K-Pop because it makes me happy.2. I listen to music alone quite often. I don’t know how many hours a week (quite a lot though).3. I listen to music when I am bored, sad, angry or frustrated.4. I listen to music in my bedroom, in the car and anywhere in the house.5. I normally listen to K-Pop all the time, and don’t listen to other genres very often.6. Music is very important to me. It helps with my mental health by making me calm and happy.7. Permission To Dance, 00:00 (Zero O’Clock) and Filter. All by BTS.8. I enjoy listening to music with others but I generally prefer listening to music alone.9. Music does not help me concentrate because I end up singing and dancing along to the music instead of studying.10. Yes, the song was 00:00 (Zero O’Clock) by BTS.11. Sometimes it can help because it calms you down.12. I would personally rather listen to happy music when I am sad.

Latest

Trending

Trending