AbbieL-C
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows if there’s a lower career that vet like for doctors u can be a paramedic practitioner and basically do a similar job
Euapp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AbbieL-C)
Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows if there’s a lower career that vet like for doctors u can be a paramedic practitioner and basically do a similar job
I think, but not sure, that the closest is the advanced veterinary nursing qualification.
Sarah2403
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, you can do veterinary nursing which you can access through a university course or a vocational route (I think it is a level 3 diploma). That will allow you to work with the animals and take a similar kind of role as a human nurse in terms of the things you can do- taking bloods, giving injections, x-rays, providing clinics etc.
I've applied to veterinary but my 5th choice is veterinary biosciences which would allow you to work in a variety of areas, such as diagnostics, conservation and welfare and scientific research. It isn't as hands on but it allows you to benefit animals in a different way, and is more science focused if you like that.
Additionally, things such as animal physio, zoology courses and animal behaviouralist roles allow you to work with animals.
To actually operate, diagnose and prescribe medicine you would need to do veterinary.
Obviously, it all depends on what age you are and what you are doing at the minute if you were to do a university course. I would recommend trying to get some work experience if you can before you would need to apply to anything to give you a better understanding of all the roles.
KJ2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nottingham have done a mooc that looks at other veterinary careers called virtual work experience and exploring the veterinary profession.

I have friends interested in vet nursing and veterinary physiotherapy if that’s of any interest to you.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There are plenty of careers aligned to veterinary medicine, but there is no job similar to veterinary surgeon.

Veterinary nursing - more day to day care of inpatients, can assist in surgery such as monitoring anaesthesia and being scrubbed in passing instruments etc.
Veterinary physiotherapy - work alongside vets, under vet referral, to provide therapy to assist animals in locomotive difficulty
Nutritionists - more involved in the agricultural side - often work with vets ensuring the farm is as productive as required

The veterinary surgeons act is very restrictive in terms of other professions ability to act on the same level, and rightly so as a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise