People claim STEM's have a complex but what I noticed it's more the uneducated

Watch
This discussion is closed.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am one of those people who Don't care what degree you have or where you went, I moved on from that silly mindset at First yr/ being on this forum.

Since finishing my Chem degree and doing my Comp sci MSC master I've noticed any time I mention my degree's, not to flex or anything; somtimes I'm literally asked (I literally never mention my degrees unless asked), that people become hostile, and angered that I dare mention STEM's. They also claim STEM ppl have some complex and look down upon other with no or non-STEM degree but what I've noticed since grading is people with no higher education (some with non STEM degrees) always getting angered if i ever mention my accomplishment or degree ( It's not like I grew up dirt poor and worked hard to get to where I am). Nowadays I don't even mention it or just say I have a first class degree.

I really don't understand why people, some of which, with a much better opportunity in life than me, get so angered if i mention STEMs, then try and pretend I have some complex in mentioning it, When it seems they do. anyone else notice this ? I won't lie the people on this forum have a hand in why STEM grads are seen a pompous and with a complex, since some of you do, but let be real most the ppl here are teenagers and you'd hope they grow out of that silly mindset by the 20's.
Last edited by rimstone; 5 months ago
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No, you get that in all walks of life.

I don't yet have a STEM degree, but people do seem to make a fuss about things I have accomplished. The funny thing is, they're not just people under 30. I have seen people in their 50s and 60s get taken aback by little things. It's like you spend your life trying to hold back just not to rock the fragile little boat.

I don't care about people's degrees either. Unless your background is specific to a particular task at hand or you feel you have a particular insight to the discussion I'm having, I won't even bother asking about it.

Just out of curiousity, why did you decide to switch to a MSc in computer science?
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
No, you get that in all walks of life.

I don't yet have a STEM degree, but people do seem to make a fuss about things I have accomplished. The funny thing is, they're not just people under 30. I have seen people in their 50s and 60s get taken aback by little things. It's like you spend your life trying to hold back just not to rock the fragile little boat.

I don't care about people's degrees either. Unless your background is specific to a particular task at hand or you feel you have a particular insight to the discussion I'm having, I won't even bother asking about it.

Just out of curiousity, why did you decide to switch to a MSc in computer science?
Yep, I don't understand why I have to not mention my subject to not rock the boat, I honestly didn't think it was such a touchy subject for so many people, esp those without a degree. And same I honestly don't care if or what degree you have, I am the first person in my family to get a degree, so not like I look down upon people who don't.

I did chem as a BSC with an industry yr and soon realized theres no money or even jobs in it (I literally got near min wage as a lab tech ( I got more money working in primark/ way more stacking shelves in tesco) and my mates doing his industry yr in comp sci, got 35k and loads of benefits; he didn't even have a degree yet!), esp if you don't have a MSC or PHD. Even with a MSC/PHD you'll struggle to find a decent playing job in the chem field; this is something no one told me, until I was in my industry yr. Since I live in london and houses here cost 1M easy, I went for the better paying stem with loads of jobs, which is comp sci. If i do wanna go into chem, having a masters is good enough even in another STEMs, i will most likely go into a Comp sci job though, since again they're very well payed and theres loads around esp in london. TBH i only went into chem for the money, only to learn there barely any compared to other STEMs i could have down. My advise is don't do chem, Its underpaid, lacks jobs, hard asf and depressing; pharm, BMS, comp sci ect ect are way better stem to go into, your almost guranteed a well payed job at the end, which will be even more well payed with exp. In the comp sci field, I will probably by the time i retire earn 2-3 times more than i would have in the chem field. Money isn't everything but in london I don't wanan stress and stuggle just to exist.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rimstone)
I am one of those people who Don't care what degree you have or where you went, I moved on from that silly mindset at First yr/ being on this forum.

Since finishing my Chem degree and doing my Comp sci MSC master I've noticed any time I mention my degree's, not to flex or anything; somtimes I'm literally asked (I literally never mention my degrees unless asked), that people become hostile, and angered that I dare mention STEM's. They also claim STEM ppl have some complex and look down upon other with no or non-STEM degree but what I've noticed since grading is people with no higher education (some with non STEM degrees) always getting angered if i ever mention my accomplishment or degree ( It's not like I grew up dirt poor and worked hard to get to where I am). Nowadays I don't even mention it or just say I have a first class degree.

I really don't understand why people, some of which, with a much better opportunity in life than me, get so angered if i mention STEMs, then try and pretend I have some complex in mentioning it, When it seems they do. anyone else notice this ? I won't lie the people on this forum have a hand in why STEM grads are seen a pompous and with a complex, since some of you do, but let be real most the ppl here are teenagers and you'd hope they grow out of that silly mindset by the 20's.
You could have done with learning English first. Perhaps they just don't believe you.
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You could have done with learning English first. Perhaps they just don't believe you.
A pretty commone reply I get online, feel good about yourself eh ?
Just to inform you I'm dyslexic..... bet you feel like an idiot now. Telling a dyslexic their spelling and grammer isn't good, really isn't an insult, come up with a better one or better yet stop putting people down, since its ***** (not like I need validation online when I have accomplished myself lol)... Are you so simple that you couldn't understand what I wrote? If not then why bother to even post? you added nothing of value to this. Nicely, go be an insufferable downer somewhere else.
Joleee
Report 5 months ago
no i haven't noticed that anyone becomes hostile towards STEM grads. do STEM grads look down upon non-STEM grads?
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
no i haven't noticed that anyone becomes hostile towards STEM grads. do STEM grads look down upon non-STEM grads?
When I used this site years ago, there would be people constantly telling non stems people that thier degree is useless or a ''mickey mouse'' one ( again these people were most likely teenagers not even in UNI). There would also be people telling others their uni is better or crap ect ect. So yes I know STEM ppl do this, I was never one of them and once I got into UNI, as I said, I no longer cared what or where you went. Most my best mates at UNI were doing Non-STEM's I would hate to not be able to know or get to know since they chose another subject or place to go. I also have don't even like the 2 STEM fields I have studied and have a passion for history, so don't look down upon non STEM grads. I am also the first person in my working class family to get a degree, so I also don't look down upon people without one.

Honestly i didn't expect this fragility when mentioning my degrees, but honestly I've noticed esp among ppl who don't have a degree, hostility when mentioning mines, I asked someone whats with it, and they said STEM ppl have a complex and pompous aura about them ( apparently were ''as annoying as vegans''), but again I never ever mention my degree unless point blank asked. Nowadays I don't mention my subjects but I don't see why I have to cover up my accomplishment when firstly I don't see myself as better than anyone for them,secondly they asked and lastly I worked hard, grew up dirt poor from a disadvantages upbringing and have done well (why should I have to cover up my accomplishment from ppl who grew up sometimes much better of than me and still to this day have better opportunities than me, even without a degree?); again i never expected this and thought this kinda mind stuff and silly thinking was more on TSR than the real world.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just to inform you I'm dyslexic..... bet you feel like an idiot now. Telling a dyslexic their spelling and grammer isn't good, really isn't an insult, come up with a better one or better yet stop putting people down, since its ***** (not like I need validation online when I have accomplished myself lol)... Are you so simple that you couldn't understand what I wrote? If not then why bother to even post? you added nothing of value to this. Nicely, go be an insufferable downer somewhere else.
I'm sorry to hear that you're dyslexic. Knowing that your English doesn't read well, I would suggest that you put a warning on your posts, particularly when talking about the "uneducated".
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Spellcheck and Grammarly exist.
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Spellcheck and Grammarly exist.
I have grammarly but for some reason it doesn't work on all sites or sometimes, It's very volatile ( it also messes up sentances, gives wrong suggestions and words sometimes and has a few other problem) . Even then I can't stand grammar nazis, if you can understand what I've said, stick with the subject matter, if not move on. Does acting like a ****, does it make some people feel superior? to be able to spell lol. Wow how smart you must be, you can spell and use grammar well, what a real accomplishment, you have nothing to you name but atleast you can write well, a real useful skill that 90% of the population can not do.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have grammarly but for some reason it doesn't work on all sites or sometimes, It's very volatile ( it also messes up sentances, gives wrong suggestions and words sometimes and has a few other problem) . Even then I can't stand grammar nazis, if you can understand what I've said, stick with the subject matter, if not move on. Does acting like a ****, does it make some people feel superior? to be able to spell lol. Wow how smart you must be, you can spell and use grammar well, what a real accomplishment.
Does swearing at people make you feel good?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
again are you so dense you couldn't understand my first post? if not, why even post?
Big whop my typing skills aren't great, but hate to break it to you this is a online forum not an academic piece so why should I care to proofread or spell check? (my life isn't so sad and dull that I would waste time on something barely anyone would see and again I don't need validations from the likes of you lol, I've already accomplished much; maybe being grammatically correct online makes you feel smart or superior who knows). Lastly no one likes grammer nazis mate.

Again better than me putting a warning how about you don't post useless stupid things,meant to put ppl down, that also have nothing to do with the matter or subject at hand? not that hard is it.
It's really very simple - if you're branding others as uneducated, it's best not to do it in poor English, without noting your disability.
cluckiez
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you do realize education =/= being able to speak or be able to communicate well in english right ?
i’m sorry about these mate, i really don’t see why they’re so bothered about your dyslexia
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by cluckiez)
i’m sorry about these mate, i really don’t see why they’re so bothered about your dyslexia
Its a thing I deal with anywhere i post, I don't even bother to post anywhere since I know no matter what, what subject or if im right or wrong, ppl will jump on my spelling and grammar. If you can understand my point, why bother jumping on me for having a few errors.
cluckiez
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Its a thing I deal with anywhere i post, I don't even bother to post anywhere since I know no matter what, what subject or if im right or wrong, ppl will jump on my spelling and garmmer.
honestly, i don’t know why people bother just to boost their ego or whatever. i have a bunch of dyslexic friends and i know they don’t like to be constantly corrected every single time something like this happens so they tend to not show their work to teachers and such. don’t feel like you can’t post or whatever, these people haven’t even helped answer your question.
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by cluckiez)
honestly, i don’t know why people bother just to boost their ego or whatever. i have a bunch of dyslexic friends and i know they don’t like to be constantly corrected every single time something like this happens so they tend to not show their work to teachers and such. don’t feel like you can’t post or whatever, these people haven’t even helped answer your question.
I appreciate the comment mate, first time this has happened tbh. Like I said, literally almost everytime I post, anywhere this happens, its annoying to deal with tbh. Luckily I have accomplished enough to not care about it and I don't need validation online. Its funny when unaccomplished ppl try and put me down for my dyslexia, at the end of the day and in RL I have the last laugh.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you do realize education =/= being able to speak or be able to communicate well in english right ?
My posts are factual. You know that your posts don't read well, yet you are the one labeling others as "uneducated". That is somewhat inflammatory.
cluckiez
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
anyway to answer your q, a lot of girls in my school do majority essay subjects like english or history, when guys find out a girl does stem subjects with them, they tend to get very very competitive and quite playful calling them smart or teasing them etc. But none of that happens between non stem boys and non stem girls or stem boys and non stem girls.
cluckiez
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I appreciate the comment mate, first time this has happened tbh. Like I said, literally almost everytime I post, anywhere this happens, its annoying to deal with tbh. Luckily I have accomplished enough to not care about it and I don't need validation online. Its funny when unaccomplished ppl try and put me down for my dyslexia, at the end of the day and in RL I have the last laugh.
good on you mate! honestly people gonna hate on you for the dumbest reasons, just gotta learn to not give one.
rimstone
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
My posts are factual. You know that your posts don't read well, yet you are the one labeling others as "uneducated". That is somewhat inflammatory.
you were so useful and smart mate, thanks a lot. Now can you please go away and be insufferable somewhere else. Congrats you can type better than a dyslexic, feel smart ?, real accomplishment mate ! put it on your grave stone why don't you.

You're useless waffle had nothing to do with the matter at hand, well done for hijacking the post. Is it so hard to keep your worthless waffle to yourself ??
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%