Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well, so far ive only seen the academic sides to universities here!

anyone want to recomend which uni's best for having a gud laugh and messing around?
    in london? or out of london? and if so which uni in particular...

ReputationRep:
    Durham has great nightlife, people who dont go there will say it has nothing, but its great, really fun and you're almost certain to see people you know while your out

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Leeds is definitely one of the best for nightlife. You can generally make the assumption that if a university is based in or near a lively city then the nightlife will be good. Saying that though, from my experience, good nights out at uni depend mostly on meeting fun people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuddly!)
    well, so far ive only seen the academic sides to universities here!

anyone want to recomend which uni's best for having a gud laugh and messing around?
    in london? or out of london? and if so which uni in particular...

Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Leeds. Any large city will offer you a good night out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Durham has great nightlife, people who dont go there will say it has nothing, but its great, really fun and you're almost certain to see people you know while your out
    ? Two/three clubs? Sure it's fun to see people you know but don't you want variety now and again? I guess newcastle is near enough but my friends at durham never seem to go *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's meant to be awesome,I live near Cardiff and that's pretty good too.Although you have to watch out for all the horny rugby types

ReputationRep:
    Lol 2-3 clubs compared to 200 proper clubs in Manchester city centre and 600 clubs/bars and restuarants. (basicaly 600 places that can see alchohol on premises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    ? Two/three clubs? Sure it's fun to see people you know but don't you want variety now and again? I guess newcastle is near enough but my friends at durham never seem to go *shrug*
    There is quite enough variety, I dont know of anyone actually at durham who doesnt have a good time and yes newcastle is only minutes away but few people go regularlly

ReputationRep:
    really? u c, i was going to apply to durham
    but then i heard that its not a lot of fun compared to say a bigger city!..

how bout oxford and cambridge?? hows the club scene dwn there...

so far ive heard nottingham and manchester seem to be the best for a social life and night life.....

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff lots of variety with the advantage you can pretty much walk between everywhere. Oh and it's cheap too.

ReputationRep:
    really? u c, i was going to apply to durham
    but then i heard that its not a lot of fun compared to say a bigger city!..

so far ive heard nottingham and manchester seem to be the best for a social life and night life.....
    Well it really depends what you're lookin for, durham doesnt have big nightclubs, but the ones it has are fun, if you want that sort of nightlife then you need a bigger city, i dont know about oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    With regard to the whole durham 3 clubs thing, cambridge has probably less than 10, and you know everybody still has loads of fun. It depends what kind of person you are. There's something nice about belonging to an introverted little community where everybody does the same thing. But I can see how if you're really into your clubbing or you're just exceptionally mature then a big city would be the only option. You'd goto Cambridge, discover that Po Na Na is actually a tiny room under pizza express, which closes at midnight, and be awfully frustrated =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    With regard to the whole durham 3 clubs thing, cambridge has probably less than 10, and you know everybody still has loads of fun. It depends what kind of person you are. There's something nice about belonging to an introverted little community where everybody does the same thing. But I can see how if you're really into your clubbing or you're just exceptionally mature then a big city would be the only option. You'd goto Cambridge, discover that Po Na Na is actually a tiny room under pizza express, which closes at midnight, and be awfully frustrated =P
    I think it depends on the city you come from to an extent. If you live in a small city dont go to another small city. Big cities certainly have more choice and I would say offer better and more different nights out. Certainly Manchesters has been amazing.

Also considering in most uni's there are loads of drunk students who are up for you most of the time cant but help have a good night. I would only warn against small cities if you want a particular night out eg: really in to hip hop as it will get boring or you like live music as hardly anyone comes whose worth seeing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's just put it this way - if you were applying to unis based on the quality of their nightlife, I wouldn't put Cambridge on the list. However, considering the million other advantages that being at Cambridge gives you, the nightlife is perfectly tolerable.

Yes, there are only about 5 clubs worth going to, and they're all packed on their respective student nights, but you know, if you're happy and with your friends, it's not that bad. Unless you're from somewhere much bigger or are a hardcore music fan, in which case you'd hate it. It's fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially it's gonna be what you make it that matters...although I'm sure a quality array of drinking venues would help
    Anyway you van have the BEST fun in tacky,cheesy clubs sometimes lol

ReputationRep:
    how about London Unis?

UCL and Imperial in particular

any uni with rock/metal oriented reputation ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerebrum_core)
    how about London Unis?

UCL and Imperial in particular

any uni with rock/metal oriented reputation ?
    again if you want rock then big cities are the place to be, have a look at where bands tour-basically manchester,london,glasgow with nottingham, birmingham and cardiff also doing well

speaking for nottingham we have five rock clubs (incl 'rock city' the best rock club in the country three years running-kerrang, hah, also a major scumhole ) and another four or so bars which means theres a decent variety

manchester is probably your best option outside of london

ReputationRep:
    There is quite enough variety, I dont know of anyone actually at durham who doesnt have a good time and yes newcastle is only minutes away but few people go regularlly
    I know three people in their 2nd/3rd year and a couple who actually live in the town and to be honest they are all bored of the nightlife but the societies and house parties seem to keep em occupied

ReputationRep:
    Manchesters music scene is mainly indie and rock but there are lots of dance/rnb and hiphop clubs. I know really know the indie clubs inside out though, 5th Ave, 42nd Street, The Brickhouse, The Roadhouse. There is Rockworld for the hardcore rock fan, as well as Gods Kitchen that comes once a month.

There are millions of typical town centre scally bars as well but I always avoid them. These places tend not be visted by a lot of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    again if you want rock then big cities are the place to be, have a look at where bands tour-basically manchester,london,glasgow with nottingham, birmingham and cardiff also doing well
    Bristol does very well for gigs too. There's not a huge indie scene in terms of clubs though. It's a lot of trip hop and breaks and beats there - Roni Size, Tricky and Massive Attack are all from Bristol, so there's a lot of that type of stuff.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.