The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Are my GCSES up to an oxbridge/LSE standard?

Hi

I’m looking to apply for LSE/oxbridge and I’m worried my GCSES aren’t going to hit the mark. I’m looking to study politics and philosophy.

I got

English lit/Lang -9/8
Maths - 8
Business -8
History -8
ICT -7
Science - 7/7
Further maths - 7
Spanish - 4

I’m worried about the 4 as an outlier, and the fact I’ve only got 1 grade 9 that limits me from standing out.

I’m predicted A*A*A plus an EPQ grade A.

Thanks
Hi James,

Don’t fret!

Your GCSEs are actually good. The 9 grade is elusive and no top uni expects all their students to have 9s. About the 4, I done terribly in my language gcse and it never affected me afterwards.

For Oxbridge, you’ll be fine, as they’d likely pay more attention to your entrance exam score, a level choices and predicted grades rather than your GCSEs when deciding whether to invite you to interview. If you get an interview, then clearly GCSEs weren’t a problem. I’m doing my postgrad at Cambridge and the undergrad students seem to have mixed GCSEs but all amazing A-Levels. A*A*A will hit the mark!

I done my undergrad at LSE. They seem to be somewhat random with their offers for home students, whilst being generous with international students (likely as they pay more fees). So don’t fret if you don’t get in, as it’s always some bs reasoning. My advice is to also apply UCL as it gives out more predictable offers and someone with your GCSEs and an A*A*A prediction would likely get in.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending