AlexJoseph08
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I really want to go to Bristol and the criminology course appeals to me a lot. However, the content of the course itself worries me (aka me not fully knowing what to expect) I’ve talked to a colleague at work who is doing criminology & criminal justice in another uni and she talked about all the stuff they learnt about. I was particularly keen on the real life cases part of what she said (like those events you see in documentaries and so on, grenfell tower I think we mentioned) I guess what I’m asking is is Criminology all that different to criminology & criminal justice, and what types of things do you learn doing criminology at Bristol university? Any specific cases?

I’d really appreciate a response, thank you
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How can the course content worry if if its the one you want to do?

I guess I mean, why'd you want to go to Bristol?
AlexJoseph08
Rep:
?
Ik yeah sorry it’s a weird one. I like Bristol partially cause of the societies, close ish to home, a great city I’ve heard etc. But no I didn’t necessarily mean I don’t like the content. From what I can gather I really like the content of the course, I guess I just wish I knew more about what the course would fully entail, im fearful of the unknown you could say
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
you learn about sociology, like what elements create a criminal and how does society define criminal behavior. learn about criminal procedure from the arrest to the conviction. it's not so much about specific cases but an analysis of the whole system. i don't study at Bristol but this is common amongst criminology and criminal justice academically.
AlexJoseph08
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
you learn about sociology, like what elements create a criminal and how does society define criminal behavior. learn about criminal procedure from the arrest to the conviction. it's not so much about specific cases but an analysis of the whole system. i don't study at Bristol but this is common amongst criminology and criminal justice academically.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this response. I think I’m probably just overthinking, in reality what you’ve explained it to be really appeals to me as does the course details online. I’m curious what kind of career are you considering pursuing (you are doing criminology right) ?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AlexJoseph08)
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this response. I think I’m probably just overthinking, in reality what you’ve explained it to be really appeals to me as does the course details online. I’m curious what kind of career are you considering pursuing (you are doing criminology right) ?
i'm studying law but i have taken a module in criminology and criminal justice (because we got the option to do non-law modules) so i know a little about this stuff. we studied theories on what causes crime (what they call 'deviant behavior'. maybe you can google it?), how society decides what's criminal, why men and women commit different crimes, why criminal statistics can't be trusted because it's based on reported crime and police procedure, how the media plays a role in the general public's opinion of crime and the criminal justice system ('moral panic' ), how sentencing works, the point of prison (punishment vs rehabilitation vs public safety) to name a few. i safely assume this is common amongst criminology and criminal justice degrees because it's in every textbook and seen criminology students ask for study help on these topics.

my brother has a degree in political science and criminology tho and has worked as a parole officer and now oversees parole officers (not in the UK ).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads