__Khaleesi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have a bit of n odd question. I am an international student at St Andrews from South Africa. My family have a tradition of going straight to Sandhurst after boarding school. I am not so keen on the idea of commissioning into the military for 5+ years. However, I don’t want to let the side down and I wouldn’t mind attending Sandhurst at all. A friend of mine from Jordan suggested that it is possible to attend Sandhurst for the 44 weeks and pay for the course and not have to commission after passing out. I wanted to find out if there’s any truth to that, and how one might go about that. All assistance would be much appreciated.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've browsed your posting history and it's a bit suspect but here we go nonetheless:

No not really.

Main reasons are as follows:

1) As a South African you potentially won't make the residency or nationality requirements.

2) Sandhurst don't want customers and your course-mates certainly wouldn't appreciate having you there if you're not serious. The only people who attend the commissioning course are either from the UK or from selected allied nations who are commissioning into their respective armies. To address the suggestion made by your Jordanian friend: the International students' government pay the UK government to provide training for their candidates through international diplomatic agreements. It's not a case of simply rocking up and swiping your credit card at the front desk.

3) It's a bit late to be "going straight to Sandhurst after boarding school" if you've already gone from school to LSE to St Andrews.

Might I suggest you enquire at the Tayforth UOTC and see if you fancy a career in the Army?
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schleigg)
I've browsed your posting history and it's a bit suspect but here we go nonetheless:

No not really.

Main reasons are as follows:

1) As a South African you potentially won't make the residency or nationality requirements.

2) Sandhurst don't want customers and your course-mates certainly wouldn't appreciate having you there if you're not serious. The only people who attend the commissioning course are either from the UK or from selected allied nations who are commissioning into their respective armies. To address the suggestion made by your Jordanian friend: the International students' government pay the UK government to provide training for their candidates through international diplomatic agreements. It's not a case of simply rocking up and swiping your credit card at the front desk.

3) It's a bit late to be "going straight to Sandhurst after boarding school" if you've already gone from school to LSE to St Andrews.

Might I suggest you enquire at the Tayforth UOTC and see if you fancy a career in the Army?
Thank you for reply.

As for the comment around my posting history, I’m not sure what you’re alluding too. In terms of going straight from school to Sandhurst, I opted to go to university before and as you say started at LSE and then transferred.

It seems the process is less straight forward then I initially suspected. I certainly have no interest in pursuing a long career in the military, but a brief stint at military academy would be ideal.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I was going to suggest approaching the University Royal Naval Unit in Edinburgh to ask whether you could apply to join, but fear that you may be outside its catchment area.

Although many members of the URNUs do go on to full-time Naval careers, other members don't; they do, however, benefit from their time with the URNU and take the skills they learn with them to use in other contexts.

It may be that this shorter involvement might be more compatible with your plans than your original idea about Sandhurst, which is clearly unviable.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...nits/edinburgh
Last edited by Kerzen; 8 months ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by __Khaleesi)
I certainly have no interest in pursuing a long career in the military, but a brief stint at military academy would be ideal.
That's not how British military training works.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by __Khaleesi)
Thank you for reply.

As for the comment around my posting history, I’m not sure what you’re alluding too. In terms of going straight from school to Sandhurst, I opted to go to university before and as you say started at LSE and then transferred.

It seems the process is less straight forward then I initially suspected. I certainly have no interest in pursuing a long career in the military, but a brief stint at military academy would be ideal.
The best way to look at it is that Sandhurst isn't a public establishment that offers courses you can go on. It's where the Army trains its officers. If you don't want to be an officer in the Army, then you don't go to Sandhurst.
__Khaleesi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
I was going to suggest approaching the University Royal Naval Unit in Edinburgh to ask whether you could apply to join, but fear that you may be outside its catchment area.

Although many members of the URNUs do go on to full-time Naval careers, other members don't; they do, however, benefit from their time with the URNU and take the skills they learn with them to use in other contexts.

It may be that this shorter involvement might be more compatible with your plans than your original idea about Sandhurst, which is clearly unviable.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...nits/edinburgh
Thank you, this is very helpful and I think I shall explore this option more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads