Candieeeyx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There is not enough information online but do I need a degree or join a graduate scheme?
21ForEva
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Candieeeyx)
There is not enough information online but do I need a degree or join a graduate scheme?
You could do an apprenticeship (level 3) or a degree apprenticeship (level 4-6): https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/oppo...cyber-security
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When hiring engineers, the degree doesn't mean much to me, I look at their commercial experience and any certifications they've got as this is a much better indicator of what to expect from them during the role.

Might be worth you doing apprenticeships where you can pick both experience and certs?
oglez92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Candieeeyx)
You don't necessarily need a degree to get into this field. An apprenticeship may be a good alternative for you.
Scott Winchester
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Candieeeyx,

From what I understand and have found out for myself, you don't need a degree but it does show your aptitude to learn and understand which is what employers are looking for, equally having certs, whilst not a pre-requisite it shows your dedication to the cause. I have been told that having the practical skill set is very much looked for, so setting up your own lab, showing activity on various sites like Hack the Box or Try Hack Me is a decent way of showing a prospective employer that you have the required practical skills to be a CEH or SOC Analyst... bear in mind i am looking at this from a Ethical Hacker point of view so it may be somewhat different.

I have found that following individuals on Twitter, LinkedIn and even subscribing to YouTube accounts have given me a massive boost to help in my roadmap..

I don't know enough about apprenticeships to comment on them but they sound like a foot in the door for sure.

Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (38)
25.17%
Unhappy (42)
27.81%
Conflicted (71)
47.02%

Watched Threads