The Student Room Group

Difficulty waking up because my dreams are so vivid... sleep disorder?

I've been having difficulty waking up in the morning because my dreams are so vivid and distorted with reality. E.g. in my dreams, I feel like I am already awake, so I don't push myself to get out of bed and get ready, so then I oversleep.

This morning was very confusing for me because I set 14 alarms 30 minutes apart so that I could wake up at 8am. In between every alarm, I had a different, intense dream (e.g. in one dream I was pregnant and gave birth 5 months early, which was very traumatic for me, in another I was stranded on a rowing boat on a lake, in another I was having a mundane, but very realistic, conversation with my boyfriend about porridge.

Due to having so many intense, realistic dreams in such a short space of time, I wake up feeling very confused and disorientated. Throughout the day, I have flashbacks from these dreams which disturbs me and sometimes I can't tell if the memory is from a dream or real-life.

This has been happening nearly every day recently, and i'm worried i'm developing a sleep disorder :frown:.
Are you on any meds? Some medications can have that effect.
I'm sorry to hear about this. Like the above user said the dreams can be a side effect of a medicine if you on any. Have you talked to your GP about it, that's what I'd do.
I hope they get better. :hugs: x
Maybe try to write them down as soon as you wake up. It would help you discern between dream and reality. I've always had vivid dreams but since I have the urge to control them, I soon realise that it's a dream.
A calm bedtime routine could also help?

Quick Reply

Latest