The Student Room Group

Cat called again

I just got cat called again while waiting for a lift. I'm at home now. I am only 14, it's not my first time being cat called. First time was in school uniform and second time was in a coat and leggings. It's really scary why do men do this

Scroll to see replies

Some are horrid creeps that want to scare or insult young women.
Others catcall as as a form of banter or attempt at flirting.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I just got cat called again while waiting for a lift. I'm at home now. I am only 14, it's not my first time being cat called. First time was in school uniform and second time was in a coat and leggings. It's really scary why do men do this

sounds like they found you attractive and were trying to express it, but choose a bit of a silly way of doing it, and tbh shouldn't have done it given your age.......
Reply 3
Original post by ANM775
sounds like they found you attractive and were trying to express it, but choose a bit of a silly way of doing it, and tbh shouldn't have done it given your age.......

The scary thing is they looked about 50
Bark at them
Original post by londonmyst
Some are horrid creeps that want to scare or insult young women.
Others catcall as as a form of banter or attempt at flirting.

cat-calling is never something you can justify, never. it makes women and girls feel SO uncomfortable and victimised.

a grown adult man should not be cat-calling a child.

if you are an adult and you think another adult is good-looking, move on or tell them that politely instead of yelling at them and making them feel unsafe and objectified.
Original post by ANM775

Given your age? Being catcalled is horrible no matter the age and should never be done! Also "a bit silly way"? Do you know what it feels to be catcalled? You feel like a freaking object. It is fuc*ing scary as *uck. That is more than "a bit silly way" of expressing attraction. It is predatory action and objectification of the woman. It makes me scared to go that way ever again, because you never know what can happen.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Given your age? Being catcalled is horrible no matter the age and should never be done! Also "a bit silly way"? Do you know what it feels to be catcalled? You feel like a freaking object. It is fuc*ing scary as *uck. That is more than "a bit silly way" of expressing attraction. It is predatory action and objectification of the woman. It makes me scared to go that way ever again, because you never know what can happen.

Exactly

i was once walking home from school and a car stopped by me and this guy cat called me and i freaked out and ran home bc he just kinda sat there and eyeballed me up and down until he sped off.
i was 16 then.
im 19 now and lets just say it doesnt seem to stop.
Reply 9

Where did this happen?
Original post by ANM775

Harassment is never ok regardless of age, this shouldn't have to be explained to you.
Original post by Kerzen
Where did this happen?

Outside a shop
Exactly

I am sorry that it happened to you. What i found to be helpful with the fear is learning self defense - i started doing krav maga this year and it makes me feel a little bit better, as i know basic self-defence now (even though due to corona about half of the trainings have been canceled, the bits i know are all usable in real life situation)
i was once walking home from school and a car stopped by me and this guy cat called me and i freaked out and ran home bc he just kinda sat there and eyeballed me up and down until he sped off.
i was 16 then.
im 19 now and lets just say it doesnt seem to stop.

it's really scary
I am sorry that it happened to you. What i found to be helpful with the fear is learning self defense - i started doing krav maga this year and it makes me feel a little bit better, as i know basic self-defence now (even though due to corona about half of the trainings have been canceled, the bits i know are all usable in real life situation)

I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion 😁
I will look into that, thanks for the suggestion 😁

You are welcome!
Reply 16
Given your age? Being catcalled is horrible no matter the age! Also "a bit silly way"? Do you know what it feels to be catcalled? You feel like a freaking object. It is fuc*ing scary as *uck. That is more than "a bit silly way" of expressing attraction. It is predatory action and objectification of the woman. It makes me scared to go that way ever again, because you never know what can happen.

Do I know what it feels like to be catcalled?
Yes, i've been catcalled by women before (i'm male), and i even had a woman beep me in her car and lift up her bra once.

Coming from a male perspective, it usually doesn't bother me. In fact it typically boosts my ego. However i'm ngl ...there has been 2 times when it's happened i didn't like it, and i felt angry at them/very uncomfortable/felt like an object

Those 2 times i didn't like it, did make me see that the experience of a woman being catcalled by a male may not be good...,

i've never catcalled a woman myself, and given the liklihood it could make her feel uncomfortable is why i put it's a "bit of a silly way" of expressing attraction.

before i ever had been catcalled, my opinion as a male was why are women so bothered/upset when it happens. as i tried to imagine how i'd feel if it happened to me, and thought i'd like it. when it did eventually start happening to me .. i mostly didn't mind it like i expected, except for the 2 times i didn't like it. only then i was able to see why women might not like it.
(edited 3 years ago)
I am a Pakistani Muslim man. I have never never cat called a woman. I respect all women. Even if I find a woman attractive, I would never embarrass myself
You mean they whisteled and said a compliment? It isn't that scary is it? There's women out there 40+ who wish men still looked at them but nobody looks or likes what they see anymore
Original post by cchloepx
cat-calling is never something you can justify, never. it makes women and girls feel SO uncomfortable and victimised.

I disagree with you.
I don't always feel negative at every random guy catcalling me from across the street or down from a building site.
Same when I was a teenage schoolgirl and catcalling guys used to try some saucy banter or to make a pass at me as I was walking.
Any insults, attempts at physical contact or pua antics are a very different matter.

A reasonable person feeling victimised and uncomfortable is often the result of blatantly abusive, vulgar or threatening conduct which goes far beyond the criminality & harassment borderline.
It depends on the context; what precisely is said, where, to whom and at what volume.
Some of my female friends in their 20 and over 40 enjoy being catcalled by guys.
A few guys in their 20s-30s have told me they find it thrilling getting any sexual attention from older women, even very vulgar catcalling.

Quick Reply

Latest