The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PRECIOUSMORO
Nope. People think because it’s teacher assessed you’ll get the grade you want. I’m apart of the 2020 cohort and students got screwed over. My teachers gave me a D when they said 2 weeks before school closed I was on track for an A, my psych teacher gave me a C and I got an A in the autumn exams with 6 weeks of revision and my English teacher gave me a D when I had no lower than a C from year 12 till the end of year 13. And all my teachers liked me too. From 70% of A Level students Im telling you exams are acc the best way. If you mess up it’s your fault, not because a teacher doubted you or didn’t want to risk their credibility

That sounds very scary I hope that doesn’t happen to me.
ik :biggrin:
gavin williamson.PNGgavin williamson exams.PNG
(edited 3 years ago)
Nope. People think because it’s teacher assessed you’ll get the grade you want. I’m apart of the 2020 cohort and students got screwed over. My teachers gave me a D when they said 2 weeks before school closed I was on track for an A, my psych teacher gave me a C and I got an A in the autumn exams with 6 weeks of revision and my English teacher gave me a D when I had no lower than a C from year 12 till the end of year 13. And all my teachers liked me too. From 70% of A Level students Im telling you exams are acc the best way. If you mess up it’s your fault, not because a teacher doubted you or didn’t want to risk their credibility

Glad you said that - so many people think "I'll just get my predicted grades :yeah:" and don't realise it's not as simple as that :/ Are you expected to recieve new A-Levels this year as a private candidate? If so good luck!!! :smile:
Original post by ektasmar

My guess is that it will mainly be about the cash boost thing.
Original post by jj30523
My guess is that it will mainly be about the cash boost thing.

But it mentions that he will speak about gcses and a levels.It might not be the main topic of the press conference but we will actually hear something about the plan.It will hopefully help us a lot
(edited 3 years ago)

Coming up at 10pm tonight:
Mrs Rayner believes every student should be given an A* in every subject (even ones they weren't entered into) as it's the only way to do be right by the students.
Kier Starmer will support the government but is not sure if this goes far enough & reserves the right to criticise the government on A-level results day whatever happens.

On a more serious note, if any sort of national standard assessments are cancelled then this epitomises patheticness. Mr Williamson & Ofqual really have tag-teamed up on a terrible solution. The idea two years in a row students aren't going to be formally assessed, what a joke.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately, these people don't understand and just want to get rid of any sort of exam and just have their grades handed to them.
Original post by mnot
Coming up at 10pm tonight:
Mrs Rayner believes every student should be given an A* in every subject (even ones they weren't entered into) as it's the only way to do be right by the students.
Kier Starmer will support the government but is not sure if this goes far enough & reserves the right to criticise the government on A-level results day whatever happens.

On a more serious note, if any sort of national standard assessments are cancelled then this epitomises patheticness. Mr Williamson & Ofqual really have tag-teamed up on a terrible solution. The idea two years in a row students aren't going to be formally assessed, what a joke.

I know we are heading towards another fiasco this year.But it will be actually opposite to last year's fiasco,as the grades will most probably be hugely inflated and further education and university places will run out like how TVs are sold on black Friday
I know we are heading towards another fiasco this year.But it will be actually opposite to last year's fiasco,as the grades will most probably be hugely inflated and further education and university places will run out like how TVs are sold on black Friday

Well top universities will fill up, but this happens every year anyway. It's just far less spots will be available in clearing as more people get in, normally where their spaces available universities tailor the clearing requirements to how students have performed.

I think their will be far less movement as far fewer students get rejected, which is what opens the door up for students who did unexpectedly well.
Overall I suspect roughly the same amount of students will end up on the same courses but they'll be some students who lucked into spots and others who missed out because of this.

But my bigger concern is students will be expected to sit January exams at university having never sat anything other than a GCSEs. At which point for some of these students the chickens may come home to roost.
You do realise Ofqual acts under his direct instruction, right?
Reply 2591
My parents evening was 2 weeks before schools closed last year and I remember my teacher saying ‘she writes so beautifully, she has clear and deep knowledge of her topics’. Come August I’ve got a D and forced into a gap year.

this is digraceful. Did she not even give a reason? could you not appeal and perhaps talk to headmaster?
Original post by Ducky_MoMo
Glad you said that - so many people think "I'll just get my predicted grades :yeah:" and don't realise it's not as simple as that :/ Are you expected to recieve new A-Levels this year as a private candidate? If so good luck!!! :smile:

Honestly! Schools as a business will put themselves over student satisfaction. My CAGs were all loved than my predicts too 😭 And priv candidates are waiting for the announcement to see what our options are but yes; the centres I’ve registered with provided grades last year so I’m hopeful I can get my other 2 A Levels
Original post by hiiiii1
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately, these people don't understand and just want to get rid of any sort of exam and just have their grades handed to them.

It’s okay! It worked out okay in the end as uni is a shambles right now and I’m glad I didn’t go for the sake of my mental health but it was annoying to have that option taken away from me. You’re right. Teacher assessments aren’t an easy way out for 70% of students. It takes the power away from you and leaves your future in someone else’s hands.
Original post by N.GO
this is digraceful. Did she not even give a reason? could you not appeal and perhaps talk to headmaster?

The gov were so sneaky and made appeal results come out way after uni started. It was honestly a mess last year so hopefully they take all of that into consideration. I honestly don’t know why she did that 😭 I just let it go on results day because there was literally no way out that would get me to uni in Sept. I didn’t even log into UCAS I just started revising for the Autumn exams
Can everyone please stop making such a fuss regarding examination plans. The news and any TV shows are available and accessible to everyone. Theres no need to cause confusion amongst people. We will all find out tomorrow so for now relax!
My parents evening was 2 weeks before schools closed last year and I remember my teacher saying ‘she writes so beautifully, she has clear and deep knowledge of her topics’. Come August I’ve got a D and forced into a gap year.

This is similar to my experience with exam cancellations. For GCSEs, I was told I'd exceed my target grades and how great I was doing at parent's evening skip to august and I got grades that were 2 grades lower than what I was achieving in school. When I tried to appeal my school replied after the deadline so i chose to resit 4 whilst starting 4 a-levels :/
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Can everyone please stop making such a fuss regarding examination plans. The news and any TV shows are available and accessible to everyone. Theres no need to cause confusion amongst people. We will all find out tomorrow so for now relax!

You don't have to read the thread if you don't want to
can anybody kindly tell me the time of when will be announced about A level grade please? I have searched online but i can't find.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by hila2401
can anybody kindly tell me the time of when will be announced about A level grade please? I have searched online but i can't find.
Thanks in advance :smile:

today 5pm sky news gavins coming on not sure if its just a general announcement though so wouldnt get hopes high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending