Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Watch
Poll: Do you think it was the right call to stop A-Level and GCSE exams going ahead as planned?
Yes (1053)
46.9%
No (787)
35.06%
Unsure (405)
18.04%
Imane888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
Ok so my school has set their plans regarding A-Levels.

Between May and June I will have to pass exams - eventually produced by exam boards.
Exam boards will have access to a portfolio of exams I have done to moderate the results of the summer exam.

So from what I understood, I won’t have any form of teacher assessed grades.
That's good imo.
letmeinunis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't believe they're waiting until Feb 22nd to tell us anything
helpme111
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)

Between May and June I will have to pass exams - eventually produced by exam boards.
Exam boards will have access to a portfolio of exams I have done to moderate the results of the summer exam.

Is this England? But the government hasn’t said anything yet?
S0FT
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Imane888)
That's good imo.
That's fine. I was just hoping that my teachers assign me a grade and provide evidence to justify it - with little emphasis on the summer exams, as I have straight A* since September.
Imane888
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
That's fine. I was just hoping that my teachers assign me a grade and provide evidence to justify it - with little emphasis on the summer exams, as I have straight A* since September.
Yeah I don't think that putting full emphasis on the exams is the way to go but it's better than CAGs?
S0FT
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by helpme111)
Is this England? But the government hasn’t said anything yet?
We have the results of the consultation on the 23rd of February - but my school said they were in contact w/ people at Ofqual and that this was the more likely outcome of the consultation, so no matter what is decided they will adopt this policy regarding exams.
S0FT
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Imane888)
Yeah I don't think that putting full emphasis on the exams is the way to go but it's better than CAGs?
I totally agree w/ you, CAGs are a joke.
Imane888
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
I totally agree w/ you, CAGs are a joke.
I mean if only all schools could be trusted but it looks like they can not.
helpme111
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
We have the results of the consultation on the 23rd of February - but my school said they were in contact w/ people at Ofqual and that this was the more likely outcome of the consultation, so no matter what is decided they will adopt this policy regarding exams.
So are they using exam grades we achieved from before December into account for our final grades or mainly the grades we get may/June?
KaTi2002
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
So are they using exam grades we achieved from before December into account for our final grades or mainly the grades we get may/June?
I heard from my friends teachers that from the plans that was given to her school it said that teachers should start assessing students work from the day that the government announced exam are cancel
Last edited by KaTi2002; 3 weeks ago
hiiiii1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)

Nice
ninja24
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)

So, are the grades solely based off of the external assessments?
S0FT
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ninja24)
So, are the grades solely based off of the external assessments?
My school has decided to put a major emphasis on the summer exams I will do between May and June. They will provide a portfolio of exams to exam boards to adjust the grades I will get from the summer exams.

So no grades are not solely based on the external assessments, but my school decided to mainly based them on summer exams, with little emphasis on coursework and exams made throughout the year.

Firstly, we don’t even know if there will be external assessments - that is just my school’s policy, whether summer exams are internal or external does not change anything for me. But from what they told me, Ofqual will set-up external exams which will count towards a major part of the grades.
helpme111
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
My school has decided to put a major emphasis on the summer exams I will do between May and June. They will provide a portfolio of exams to exam boards to adjust the grades I will get from the summer exams.

So no grades are not solely based on the external assessments, but my school decided to mainly based them on summer exams, with little emphasis on coursework and exams made throughout the year.

Firstly, we don’t even know if there will be external assessments - that is just my school’s policy, whether summer exams are internal or external does not change anything for me. But from what they told me, Ofqual will set-up external exams which will count towards a major part of the grades.
what if we don't go back to school in the summer?
S0FT
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
what if we don't go back to school in the summer?
Frankly I have no idea.

It's just we have been living in uncertainty for such a long time - and as a result, I overreact whenever there is some news.

Maybe my school's plans will change - who knows...
mac0902
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Edexcel International GCSE and ALevels have just been cancelled.
Happs_2705
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
Did your school say anything about the exams being optional or compulsory for school? I know Northern Ireland announced yesterday that their exam boards will make new papers that schools will have the option to use, but they won’t be compulsory. I feel England will adopt a similar approach and will make the exams optional.
S0FT
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Happs_2705)
Did your school say anything about the exams being optional or compulsory for school? I know Northern Ireland announced yesterday that their exam boards will make new papers that schools will have the option to use, but they won’t be compulsory. I feel England will adopt a similar approach and will make the exams optional.
No, unfortunately we have to wait 3 weeks to know.

Bear in mind we might have to deal with an abrupt change - we are only in February.
Happs_2705
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S0FT)
No, unfortunately we have to wait 3 weeks to know.

Bear in mind we might have to deal with an abrupt change - we are only in February.
Okay, thanks! I am also rather baffled at your schools polices - did they say if Ofqual’s consultation says they should consider evidence from throughout the course and specification (like Northern Ireland are doing) they will give the papers that you do in May and June more weight and importance? I have a strong feeling that the external assessments will be optional, Ofqual must have received so many negative feedback and concerns in the consultation for them to issue a blog on external assessments saying they should not be seen as exams. I think whatever Ofqual proposes, the Department of Education will stick to that because they will not want to be faced with more complaints or U-turns and this way they can blame Ofqual. Here’s what I think Ofqual will do:

1. In April exam boards will make external assessments available to school and these will be optional to schools to use.
2. Centres will be able to use evidence from the whole specification and course.
3. Centres will submit grades in June.
3. Results day will be brought forward to July.
4. All private candidates will have the option to sit exams in the Summer or do external assessments at their centre and the centre forms a grade with additional evidence.

Just my prediction
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can I just say: Ofqual's consultation closed a few days ago, everyone had the chance to have their say on the proposals and now the gvmt have to sit and read what students, parents and teachers think about it. NOTHING official has been announced yet regarding exams. Different schools have been taking different approaches whilst they wait to hear the final decision. But for now nothing has been decided... (regardless of the speculations)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (468)
51.49%
No (441)
48.51%

Watched Threads