The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lean1bean
do you think its worth continuing with making revision resources? English lit is so time consuming..

You could identify the topics you are weak at,produce some work and send it to your teacher in order to fill his folder with evidence on that unit and prove that you have become better in that part of the syllabus.
Original post by lean1bean
do you think its worth continuing with making revision resources? English lit is so time consuming..

Yes, I would continue to revise as normal. We don't know what will happen, so it's better to keep revising now consistently than to have a panic later.

I would ignore the advice to send random work to your teacher. Teachers are very busy right now and will probably not appreciate students sending in work that wasn't part of any assignment. Just continue submitting any work that's been asked for and ensure it's of a good quality.
Original post by bluebeetle
Yes, I would continue to revise as normal. We don't know what will happen, so it's better to keep revising now consistently than to have a panic later.

I would ignore the advice to send random work to your teacher. Teachers are very busy right now and will probably not appreciate students sending in work that wasn't part of any assignment. Just continue submitting any work that's been asked for and ensure it's of a good quality.

Thanks. I've avoided sending extra work to my teachers to mark right now anyway since they're doing so many online assessments.
Original post by ektasmar
It relates to the fact for example if you don't go to Oxbridge,you go to Surrey.If you don't go to Surrey,you go to Middlesborough and so on.Sometimes alternatives bring positives,this is my point.So,whatever grade people will take,it will still get the somewhere that might turn out to be the best for them and their later lives,despite not previously considering it...

Again this doesn't relate to my comment. You need to re-read it to understand what I was trying to say. Pupils on TSR were literally saying that their teachers predicted their cohort based on what university they applied to regardless of what the grade they were working at was. E.g if student A firmed with Surrey their teacher would predict them a B despite student A consistently achieving A*'s likewise if student B would have been predicted A*'s because they firmed with Oxbridge despite their current grades being A/B or lower consistently in their tests.
Original post by Imane888
Again this doesn't relate to my comment. You need to re-read it to understand what I was trying to say. Pupils on TSR were literally saying that their teachers predicted their cohort based on what university they applied to regardless of what the grade they were working at was. E.g if student A firmed with Surrey their teacher would predict them a B despite student A consistently achieving A*'s likewise if student B would have been predicted A*'s because they firmed with Oxbridge despite their current grades being A/B or lower consistently in their tests.

That's why not all people are made for Oxbridge...
Original post by bluebeetle
I can't wait to be disappointed by the number of "my teacher assessed grade is really low but I didn't study enough to sit a proper external exam" posts that pop up later in the year. Even though it was a new situation for last year's cohort, I still remember plenty of people were advising them to keep working in case their grade at the end of the year wasn't what they needed for uni / sixth form almost straight after the exams were cancelled, and so many people still missed that advice.

It'll be hilarious and worse thing is I'll have no sympathy them I sound rude and harsh but that's the truth. No excuses this time round once they announce some form of external/internal exams (even if it's autumn exams).
That's why not all people are made for Oxbridge...

Exactly so why allow teachers to give unmoderated CAGs based on what uni they applied to? You're refusing to acknowledge the fact that even after the u-turn some pupils were still upset with their grades.
It'll be hilarious and worse thing is I'll have no sympathy them I sound rude and harsh but that's the truth. No excuses this time round once they announce some form of external/internal exams (even if it's autumn exams).

Believe me I go to a ''no-excuses'' school and it could be one of the worst things that would ever happen in regards to your mental health.We are humans,certainly not perfect in our decisions.Unfortunately the modern society doesn't understand that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Exactly so why allow teachers to give unmoderated CAGs based on what uni they applied to? You're refusing to acknowledge the fact that even after the u-turn some pupils were still upset with their grades.

We are all humans so there shouldn't be that much blaming towards teachers or the government.They are doing their best in these difficult times we are living in.
Believe me I go to a ''no-excuses'' school and it could be one of the worst things that would ever happen to your mental health.We are humans,certainly not perfect in our decisions.Unfortunately the modern society doesn't understand that...

What excuse do people have for not taking the advice of teachers which is to revise and do a little bit of revision in case things don't go well? Also let's stop using the MH card as a way of telling others that we should make the same mistake as the 2020 cohort.
We are all humans so there shouldn't be that much blaming towards teachers or the government.They are doing their best in these difficult times we are living in.

Teachers and the government and some could argue pushy parents had control over grades last year so who's fault is it then for the teachers predicting their pupil inaccurately, the student? I think not.
I don't get it. What's the point of cancelling exams if we're still getting "mini exams", which are basically exams under a different name?

Also there's not a lot of clarity ... are these exams optional or compulsory? Do we continue revising or not?
Original post by Hazelstrewn
I don't get it. What's the point of cancelling exams if we're still getting "mini exams", which are basically exams under a different name?

Also there's not a lot of clarity ... are these exams optional or compulsory? Do we continue revising or not?

I would continue revising :dontknow:.
What excuse do people have for not taking the advice of teachers which is to revise and do a little bit of revision in case things don't go well? Also let's stop using the MH card as a way of telling others that we should make the same mistake as the 2020 cohort.

I just mean that revision is better in a stress free-environment,with no pressure and good-will.
our mocks that will determine our grades is going to be the 2020 october exams, most people in our school have already found the papers online and mark scheme. Rip, everyone’s going to get A*’s
(edited 3 years ago)
M

Original post by Hazelstrewn

Most probably optional so if you wanna take them this will boost your grade.I would recommend to continue revising but with not as much pressure as you would put in for the real exam.Furthermore think that there are other pieces of evidence to support your grade,including internal assessments,coursework as well any extra work you wish to send your teacher,so you should equally divide your focus between those factors determining your grades.
I just mean that revision is better in a stress free-environment,with no pressure and good-will.

but life is never stress free.
but life is never stress free.

Be optimistic.Not just that grim commanding expectation.It can be stress free if you want it to be so.Don't forget that we are all humans.We cannot be immortal so expect somebody to make a mistake.But,remember.Everything in life can be fixed.
Be optimistic.Not just that grim commanding expectation.It can be stress free if you want it to be so.Don't forget that we are all humans.We cannot be immortal so expect somebody to make a mistake.But,remember.Everything in life can be fixed.

I can't imo as in we've all stressed over something before in our lives. I prefer realism.
I'm pretty sure that my school are banking our whole grades on these mocks in the summer. Which really sucks :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending