The Student Room Group

Anyone else unsure whether to travel back to uni after Boris' lockdown

I'm supposed to be travelling back to uni on Monday 11th however I'm now unsure what to do. ALL my books are in my student house and I can't study remotely without them. But I have to travel across the country to get to my university. I'm worried I'll get turned around by the police at some point in my journey. Any advice?
Is there anyone at your student house to send you books if you paid for it?

Pretty sure some of the older delivery companies like DHL offer a service where they bring the box to your house, someone at the house puts the things in the box, then DHL take it and deliver it to wherever needed.

It’s means someone has to be in, but you don’t have to ask your flatmates to go to the post office or anything?

Also, does your uni do online versions of the books? Not as good but another option
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lbenson88
Is there anyone at your student house to send you books if you paid for it?

Pretty sure some of the older delivery companies like DHL offer a service where they bring the box to your house, someone at the house puts the things in the box, then DHL take it and deliver it to wherever needed.

It’s means someone has to be in, but you don’t have to ask your flatmates to go to the post office or anything?

Also, does your uni do online versions of the books? Not as good but another option

I've not got a lot of money because I'm having to pay rent for two uni houses due to sh*tty ex-housemates so I'm literally broke. The uni doesn't have a lot of books online. Turns out they're pretty rubbish in the whole remote learning. My bedroom is locked and I don't know if any of my housemates are going back to the house.

I'd rather be at one of the houses I'm paying rent for seeing as I'm paying double rent and I wouldn't be living in either house it's a bit ridiculous.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by hopeannie
I've not got a lot of money because I'm having to pay rent for two uni houses due to sh*tty ex-housemates so I'm literally broke. The uni doesn't have a lot of books online. Turns out they're pretty rubbish in the whole remote learning. My bedroom is locked and I don't know if any of my housemates are going back to the house.

I'd rather be at one of the houses I'm paying rent for seeing as I'm paying double rent and I wouldn't be living in either house it's a bit ridiculous.

I’d think staying at home would be a money saver. If you have to pay double rent either way you may as well stay at home and not pay for food and increased bills ect.

Give the uni a call, (not sure which uni you’re at!) but most uni’s have a Covid emergency fund. Ask them book options, they might send out the uni books from the library, they might get you to re-buy some of the books and send you money for the expense, (maybe offer to give them to the library at the end of the year?)

Also the student’s Union has an emergency fund, (with or without Covid the Union offers money for emergencies)

It’s probably better to start with the uni though, they will have money to spend specificity to help from Covid problems and if you can’t make it back across the country without breaking rules then it should be easy to ask for book money.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending