The Student Room Group

2021 Private Candidate Support Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PRECIOUSMORO
It’s basically CAGs again. Working with our centre to get a grade using evidence like mocks, tests and coursework

Ohh thank you:smile: Government is a joke honestly!!! CAGs would not give justice to us:frown: can’t believe we waited this long for them to tell this...disappointed but not surprised.
Guys can we start a petition about the cost for priv candidates and deadlines for entries? I’ve already paid 1k for 2 A Levels but if they choose to do coursework it’s an extra 1000 and if that part is optional for school pupils we shouldn’t have to go broke to get an A Level that would be free

I tried to get one started ages ago and they rejected it by government. It needs to be something like can the government work with the exam boards to give some sort of refund to private candidates but with only approx 20000 private candidates it will be hard to reach the 10000 signature threshold
Guys can we start a petition about the cost for priv candidates and deadlines for entries? I’ve already paid 1k for 2 A Levels but if they choose to do coursework it’s an extra 1000 and if that part is optional for school pupils we shouldn’t have to go broke to get an A Level that would be free

We honestly should, some centres are charging ridiculous amounts, they have stated ‘at costs normal to other years’ but what does that even mean, I feel like they should give us some sort of funding even if it’s like students finance and we have to pay it back, because there is noooo way I can afford to pay more on top of what I’ve already paid.
Guys honestly dont pay too much to exam centres some of them are ripping people off, wait until the gov give exam centre list and pick from there as I thin the prices won't be too high from their list. Also, someone said that can we only pick from the list? Im assuming that's a no because many students have already registered at exam centres like myself so we didn't know there was a list. If that makes sense
Original post by Student2813
Apparently not, according to the latest information given it will be assessed grades, I am just shocked that they couldn’t even set mini external exams for private candidates 😭😭😭 but they said they will lay out the process in detail so let’s see what the next steps are.

So we gonna wait another 10 years to know the details to get disappointed AGAIN!!!:frown:
Original post by Student2813
We honestly should, some centres are charging ridiculous amounts, they have stated ‘at costs normal to other years’ but what does that even mean, I feel like they should give us some sort of funding even if it’s like students finance and we have to pay it back, because there is noooo way I can afford to pay more on top of what I’ve already paid.

Exactly!!!
Apparently October exams will take place, does that mean most of us are again left with nothing but another gap year 🥲💔💔💔
I’ve read we can submit evidence to our local school but it doesn’t say how much they charge. What if they don’t offer our topics or subjects? How much more will we have to pay private exam centres? The gov should cap the prices especially when people at school are getting them for free
Original post by Bluerainy
Apparently October exams will take place, does that mean most of us are again left with nothing but another gap year 🥲💔💔💔

Only if you can’t find a centre :/ we literally told them autumn exams are a bad idea f*** gavin and f*** ofqual
Only if you can’t find a centre :/ we literally told them autumn exams are a bad idea f*** gavin and f*** ofqual

IKRRR!!! Although I found a cheap exam centre all this CAG thing is very salty and doesn’t give us the justice to prove our ability. We don’t know how things will work out at the end as we are not in charge of our grades:frown:!!! Government is such a piss take
(edited 3 years ago)
I’ve read we can submit evidence to our local school but it doesn’t say how much they charge. What if they don’t offer our topics or subjects? How much more will we have to pay private exam centres? The gov should cap the prices especially when people at school are getting them for free

I am about to register with a private exam centre. They have stated a price list as pdf on their website, which seems like they charge the normal fees as if we would sit normal exams.
They charge me 230 pounds for each subject (international a level), i think for normal AS/A Level the costs are about 245 pounds.
If you don‘t have an exam centre yet go and find one, as my one told me they will charge late entry fees for entries made after 1. March
Original post by sanuka twinkle
IKRRR!!! Although I found a cheap exam centre all this CAG thing is very salty and doesn’t give us the justice to prove our ability. We don’t know how things will work out at the end as we are not in charge in our grades:frown:!!! Government is such a piss take

Honestly! And I’m confused because we paid exam board fees but the exam board isn’t doing anything 😭 Exam centres are so stingy with refunds and stuff I honestly don’t know what we’ve paid for
Reply 1592
This is ridiculous the fact they took this long in deep consultation and yet come up with a less than optimal solution, how can they mess things up last year, then consult for months, and still make no improvements from last year. Also how much material are we going to be assessed on, for colleges, what has been already taught varies from college to college so their assessments will reflect that, but how much material are private candidates expected to have learned up to this point I have no idea how far the colleges have taught in their subject.
Original post by Hanna044
I am about to register with a private exam centre. They have stated a price list as pdf on their website, which seems like they charge the normal fees as if we would sit normal exams.
They charge me 230 pounds for each subject (international a level), i think for normal AS/A Level the costs are about 245 pounds.
If you don‘t have an exam centre yet go and find one, as my one told me they will charge late entry fees for entries made after 1. March

I have an exam centre thank you but it really depends on which centre you can get to and what they can offer. My subjects have coursework that need marking and authenticating and they charge so much 😭
Original post by 0023
This is ridiculous the fact they took this long in deep consultation and yet come up with a less than optimal solution, how can they mess things up last year, then consult for months, and still make no improvements from last year. Also how much material are we going to be assessed on, for colleges, what has been already taught varies from college to college so their assessments will reflect that, but how much material are private candidates expected to have learned up to this point I have no idea how far the colleges have taught in their subject.

Exactly! We can’t be doing full A Levels when schools get to pick and compete against them for the same spaces. And it took them so long to consult with the most stupid results
Reply 1595
I'm sure this bit was released ages ago I remember reading it in a different report, they've obviously spent all the time on dealing with how to assess college students and have given no thought to private candidates, how can they say 'there will', they've been in consultation for ages it should be 'there IS a clear and accessible route which we have been working on this for the past few months and this is it.....'
"There will also be a clear and accessible route for private candidates to work with a centre to receive a grade this year, at the same time as other candidates. Exam boards will provide centres with clear guidance on the evidence they can use to assess a private candidate. A list of available centres will be published shortly and, we are working with the sector to ensure there are sufficient centres available and at a similar cost to a normal year."
Original post by 0023
I'm sure this bit was released ages ago I remember reading it in a different report, they've obviously spent all the time on dealing with how to assess college students and have given no thought to private candidates, how can they say 'there will', they've been in consultation for ages it should be 'there IS a clear and accessible route which we have been working on this for the past few months and this is it.....'

They need to tell us today to because we need to know what we’re about to spend £500+ on. They’re so incompetent
I have an exam centre thank you but it really depends on which centre you can get to and what they can offer. My subjects have coursework that need marking and authenticating and they charge so much 😭

Ah yes, my subjects don‘t have coursework, I guess I had luck with this. With which centre are you registered?
Honestly! And I’m confused because we paid exam board fees but the exam board isn’t doing anything 😭 Exam centres are so stingy with refunds and stuff I honestly don’t know what we’ve paid for

Exactly!!! Yet They hav the gut to say that Ofqual will tell the proper instructions ‘later’!!! After taking this long...they need more time!??😭
They need to tell us today to because we need to know what we’re about to spend £500+ on. They’re so incompetent

Yes thats true. I want to know what evidence exactly we have to provide before I am registering with a centre. I don’t know what they were doing the whole time, but I hope they will release this information today. I can‘t wait too long because they charge me late entry fees if i pay the money after Monday, and 680 pounds are already a lot for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending