The Student Room Group

wanted to take a gap year

I was planning to take a gap year after this year as my predicted grades were low and I know I could do a lot better in the real exam and then apply to a better uni next year. But if exams are cancelled, how am I supposed to do that?
I was in the exact same position as you last year. I ended up still taking a gap year and I now have a uni place. However I think i would have done it a little differently. If you already know what you want to study I would apply this year for some lower and some higher uni requirements just so that you have an option. Then you can always reject any offers and take your gap year to apply again to either go for a higher offer or to improve your grades again.

Thing is nothing is certain and we don’t know how they will give out results so it’s always good to have as many options as possible.
Reply 2
Original post by Cloudiii
I was in the exact same position as you last year. I ended up still taking a gap year and I now have a uni place. However I think i would have done it a little differently. If you already know what you want to study I would apply this year for some lower and some higher uni requirements just so that you have an option. Then you can always reject any offers and take your gap year to apply again to either go for a higher offer or to improve your grades again.

Thing is nothing is certain and we don’t know how they will give out results so it’s always good to have as many options as possible.

I want to study Economics, I already got an offer at Leicester, but I feel like I can achieve higher. Having that option does help tbh, as I can always reject it or accept it depending on how I do. But if there are no exams and I wanted to go to a better uni I don't understand what I'd have to do next. Would it be a 2 year wait then?
Original post by JMANN4o1ll
I want to study Economics, I already got an offer at Leicester, but I feel like I can achieve higher. Having that option does help tbh, as I can always reject it or accept it depending on how I do. But if there are no exams and I wanted to go to a better uni I don't understand what I'd have to do next. Would it be a 2 year wait then?

For your case, it will all depend on how they give out your grades and whether you are happy with them. They will issue you a grade no matter what even if exams aren’t taking place. It just will be in a different way. If you do get better grades you can apply during your gap year as you would have done this year. So through ucas as normal. I had to apply as an individual and then get a reference from my college but it is all through ucas again so it almost has the same process and it is pretty simple.
Reply 4
Original post by Cloudiii
For your case, it will all depend on how they give out your grades and whether you are happy with them. They will issue you a grade no matter what even if exams aren’t taking place. It just will be in a different way. If you do get better grades you can apply during your gap year as you would have done this year. So through ucas as normal. I had to apply as an individual and then get a reference from my college but it is all through ucas again so it almost has the same process and it is pretty simple.

Got to hope that they do some sort of assessments once we're back then and not give us a grade based on previous assessments. Especially as we've not even had proper mocks yet, so there's not much they could use to grade me on. Ideally, I'd like to take a gap year and do better but let's see what they decide now.
Gap year ideas
Volunteering
Hobbies

Quick Reply

Latest