Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I received an offer from the University of Southampton to do Biomedical Sciences but I really want to re-apply to do Medicine there in the next cycle of 2021. I really regret not applying there this year because it is my dream uni and I have already been rejected by two medical schools (yay). With COVID and everything that is happening at the moment, I feel like going to university this year will just be a big mistake that I will regret and I would much rather do it next year when things might've settled down. If I reject the offer I received this year, could I still apply for the same course and Medicine again? I am scared they will reject me based on this....
sami789
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hi Yes you could reject it and reapply for medicine next year, they cannot reject you because of your past applications even if you did reject them
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I received an offer from the University of Southampton to do Biomedical Sciences but I really want to re-apply to do Medicine there in the next cycle of 2021. I really regret not applying there this year because it is my dream uni and I have already been rejected by two medical schools (yay). With COVID and everything that is happening at the moment, I feel like going to university this year will just be a big mistake that I will regret and I would much rather do it next year when things might've settled down. If I reject the offer I received this year, could I still apply for the same course and Medicine again? I am scared they will reject me based on this....
Hello Anonymous!

One option would be potentially transferring onto the Medicine course by contacting the Biomedical Sciences Student Office, or the Medicine Department directly, to inquire about spaces/availability.

A second option would be to wait for the 2021 University Clearing & Adjustment' vacancies to be made visible and see if Medicine (although competitive) still has spaces. Vacancies open as early as the beginning of July and you could make an 'adjustment' which essentially changes your course. This option would also allow you to see how the coronavirus situation has evolved and make an informed decision on whether to enrol for the 2021-2022 academic year or delay.

A third option would be to defer your 2021 entry for BSc Biomedical Sciences to 2022 and apply to Medicine/adjust your course when clearing 2022 opens.

Or you could reject the application and apply again this September, but this would mean losing the offer for this year.

I can reassure you that you won't be rejected based on receiving an offer for a different course or previous applications. In fact some students do apply to different courses via UCAS. The UCAS process will be exactly the same as the one you went through when applying for the BSc Biomedical Sciences degree, just that you'll be putting down a different course instead and writing a brand new personal statement!

I have included a link should you wish to view the entry requirements for Medicine and contact them directly here: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...e/courses.page

Also the University of Southampton has opted for a blended approach to learning (A mixture of online and in-person teaching) and Medicine has a very strong practical component which will still take place within socially distanced parameters.
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 10 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads