The Student Room Group

Why isn’t University of Leicester in Russel Group?

I mean, University of Leicester is a very good university, in particular for Law and Medicine. It provides plenty of courses and it’s more prestigious than other Russel Group’s universities. Its staff helps you with your future job and Leicester’s Law School is required in many London firms. In terms of Medicine, it is the third in UK for COVID 19 research and now it creates an innovative research partnership called Nairobi Alliance. The Queen visit the University too. I believe that it deserves to join Russel Group because it’s a good university and because of ranking too. Moreover other universities join Russel Group even though they don’t provide many important courses such as Law or Medicine. So I’d like to know what you think about it
Original post by vitto_cons
I mean, University of Leicester is a very good university, in particular for Law and Medicine. It provides plenty of courses and it’s more prestigious than other Russel Group’s universities. Its staff helps you with your future job and Leicester’s Law School is required in many London firms. In terms of Medicine, it is the third in UK for COVID 19 research and now it creates an innovative research partnership called Nairobi Alliance. The Queen visit the University too. I believe that it deserves to join Russel Group because it’s a good university and because of ranking too. Moreover other universities join Russel Group even though they don’t provide many important courses such as Law or Medicine. So I’d like to know what you think about it

"Leicester law school is required in many London firms"
what are you smoking?

Membership of the Russell Group isn't done on merit, (either course quality or subjective 'prestige'). There are outstanding unis outside the group and weaker ones within it. The RG is just an association of research-based unis with the objective of raising their profiles and marketing themselves. If Leicester thought there was benefit to joining, they would do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group
also why is this in the law forum?? leicester offers so many more courses
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Membership of the Russell Group isn't done on merit, (either course quality or subjective 'prestige'). There are outstanding unis outside the group and weaker ones within it. The RG is just an association of research-based unis with the objective of raising their profiles and marketing themselves. If Leicester thought there was benefit to joining, they would do so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much!

It's understandable to be concerned about how attending a non-Russell Group (RG) university might impact your future academic and career prospects. However, the University of Leicester has several strengths that can support your ambitions for postgraduate studies and internships.

Firstly, the University of Leicester has a strong reputation in various academic fields and is recognized globally. It is ranked 26th in the UK according to the 2024 Times Higher Education World University Rankings. For economics specifically, the University of Leicester is noted for its research impact and quality. Our economics courses are accredited by CIMA, giving you exemption from exams that will give your career a head-start. In addition we are a CFA University Affiliation Program Partner.

Moreover, Leicester's economics program offers comprehensive training and exposure to both theoretical and practical aspects of the field, which can be advantageous when applying to Russell Group universities for postgraduate studies. Many universities look beyond just the name and focus on the quality of your undergraduate education, your grades, and your research experiences.

In addition to academics, the University of Leicester provides ample opportunities for internships and insight weeks through its strong ties with various industries. The university's Career Development Service is dedicated to helping students gain valuable work experience and make professional connections, which are crucial for securing future opportunities​

Ultimately, the reputation of your university is just one factor among many that influence postgraduate and career prospects. Your performance, the skills you acquire, and the experiences you gain are equally, if not more, important. The University of Leicester offers robust support in all these areas, ensuring you are well-prepared for your future endeavors.

Hope this helps,

Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
Reply 6
Firstly, Cardiff, KCL, Durham, QMUL, QU Belfast, Exeter, and York weren't originally part of the Russell Group. Some were in the 1994 Group - as was Leicester, Loughborough, Bath, St Andrews and basically any other university that isn't in London, isn't known for just one kind of subject, and didn't used to be a polytechnic.

Secondly, the Russell Group is partly or largely about creating an assumption of prestige and making money. Not every university will want to be part of that and not every university will want to have to do certain things that it doesn't believe in concentrating on at the expense of other things. In general, Russell Group universities can't be on the small side because then they don't have the means to do the research that the group makes its modus operandum.
Also in general, it seems that Russell Group universities will not allow their entry standards to go below a certain level, no matter how they compare for that subject to some non-Russell Group members. That is not Leicester's way and it's not Reading's way. Leicester asks for achievable grades for even its best subjects. Maybe this is because the city isn't deemed as glamourous as some. Leicester's research quality of 82% is just 1% less than Durham and St. Andrews. A higher percentage of staff at Leicester do high quality research (63%) than at Glasgow (57%), Cardiff (59%), and Warwick (59%), and Liverpool (61%). But those places are larger and the quality of the research at those places is deemed slightly better on average of all departments.

All that said, a student experiences 1 or 2 departments at most and the average is less important to them. Leicester is OUTSTANDING for research in some subjects. Archeology (I mean, they helped find King Richard III for one)- rated 50th in the world on QS Rankings 2024, History, Modern Languages, Medicine, English (which I studied at Leicester). And they invented DNA fingerprinting. Not quite so highly rated for Law (I'm not sure where you got that from) but potentially top 30 in the UK and the Law Dept has a great building and clever students.

Joining the Russell Group would probably be bad for Leicester. Look at the student satisfaction ratings. Russell Group universities are frequently towards the bottom.

It is certainly one of the most underrated UK universities. Many people, who judge on entry standards, won't even look at the detail of how excellent some of its departments, or features as a place for a university experience, clearly are.

I studied at Leicester University and I adore the place. I love confident Brutalist architecture and it has some striking examples of that, as well as some classic older buildings and hitech style library. The Engineering Building by Stirling and Gowan is actually world famous in architectural circles. It all harmoniously fits. Halls of residence in Oadby are beautiful too - there's even a botanical garden there.
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending