Official Cambridge 2021 Decisions [no discussion] Thread

Watch
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Mod note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

Please fill in this form

Offer spreadsheet

Hey guys,
It's now a year since ohdearstudying stole this thread idea from Doones (who of course stole it from Zacken), so I'm stealing it myself for this year. Please update the thread below

You can post in this thread to be forever captured in time and to let others know what your outcome was! Like last year it is being posted early so you can post a placeholder if you wish to do so, or, you could fill it in now - whichever you prefer!

Decisions will be sent out on Monday 25th January 2021 and that is the university-wide decision date. You should receive your decision via email and then a follow-up letter if you are successful. UCAS Track will take a few days to update.

Please use the following format, deleting the bits that aren't relevant to you and if you can include your predicted decision alongside the decision you receive from Cambridge that would be really useful (I think we will see many many examples of poor self-reflection!)

Here's the template, see my post #2 or last year's thread for examples (to preserve the formatting use the quote or reply buttons and delete the [quote] tags)
All the (predicted) decision options
Predicted / Decision: Pending
Predicted / Decision: Accepted
Predicted / Decision: Accepted from Pool
Predicted / Decision: Rejected from Pool
Predicted / Decision: Rejected

Decision:
Predicted Decision:

Course:
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled):
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl):
Where were you when you heard:

Optional (but preferable!)
Home, EU or International (Country):
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other):
GCSE Grades:
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it):
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades :
Other Qualifications
IB (with predicted score):
Other:

Reflection
Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent)

Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent)

Why did you choose your college?

What other universities did you apply to?
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice?
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight?

General Comments & Advice for others:

Any official feedback received from your college:
(If you have not received it yet, it would be most helpful and appreciated if you could come back to this post and edit in the feedback you receive)

How do I get feedback?
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 7 months ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Decision: Accepted via Pool, then Pooled again in Summer
Predicted Decision: Either rejected or accepted

Course: Natural Sciences (Biological)
College: Interviewed at Girton, Pooled to Churchill in Winter then Lucy Cavendish in Summer
Offer conditions: A*A*A (A*s in Chem and FM)
By what method did you hear: Email
Where were you when you heard: Bed

Home, EU or International: Home
School Type: Comprehensive
GCSE Grades: 999998776
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A* in Biology, Maths, Further Maths; A in Chemistry

Reflection
Strengths: Genius
Weaknesses: Green veg :puke:

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: NSAA, probably scored about a 7

Interview Assessment: Probably a 6, thought it went okay but not great

Why did you choose your college? I didn't, open application

What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, St Andrews, Lancaster, York
What's your insurance choice? Warwick

General Comments & Advice for others: Nothing that will help you now :lol:
Try not to worry about it, other universities are just nearly as good as Cambridge and you can achieve whatever you want wherever you go :goodluck:
Last edited by Theloniouss; 7 months ago
beginningofanera
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejection
Predicted Decision: Rejection

Course: Land Economy
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): St Catharine’s
Offer conditions: n/a
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): Email
Where were you when you heard: Home

Home, EU or International (Country): Home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): State
GCSE Grades: 88777A6B55C
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : Maths (A*) Economics (A*) Geography (A)

Reflection
Strengths:

My subject choices are ideal for the course, my personal statement is pretty good and my interviews went fairly well but I don't think they were good enough for me to be offered a place

Weaknesses:

GCSEs - though I do have some mitigating circumstances they're still not that of a typical Cambridge applicant

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent)

I did the TSA S1, it went okay, maybe a 7? I pretty much finished in the time available, ill edit this to include my score when it's released to me on the 11th Jan

Edit: I scored 76.8 overall, with 88.5 on problem solving and 66.3 on the critical thinking. Even though the average score seems to be higher than pervious years I'm still very happy with this score especially as I never scored above around 60 on practice papers. The only thing that's worrying me is the large difference between my problem solving and critical thinking scores, but I kinda always knew my critical thinking portion would be trash (slow processing probs haha) however I'm really happy with a close to perfect problem solving score

Both of these went fairly well, I did have a couple of mind blanks but I also managed to say some vaguely intelligent stuff so maybe a 6?

Central location, looks pretty, has a reputation for being friendly

What other universities did you apply to? Durham (no offer as yet), Leeds, Southampton and Liverpool (have offers from these 3) all for Economics
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? n/a
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Durham (if i get an offer), otherwise Leeds

Don't be put off by people telling you that you're not good enough to apply, some of my GCSE teachers told me that and I'm glad I applied anyway and am just so happy that I got an interview that I don't really mind the outcome from here

Prepare for the TSA but don't overdo it, it's not really a test you can prepare for a lot other than practicing timing and knowing the styles of questions that come up

Obvious, but read around the subject as (especially with a subject that you don't do at A-Level) it's important to know what the course consists of and some basic ideas for interviews

(If you have not received it yet, it would be most helpful and appreciated if you could come back to this post and edit in the feedback you receive)
Last edited by beginningofanera; 7 months ago
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Accepted!!!
Predicted Decision: Rejected from Pool (even compulsory pooling can't save me now )

Course: Mathematics
College: Selwyn
Offer conditions: Unsure
Where were you when you heard: At my desk in the middle of tutoring haha

School Type: Private
GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*87
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Latin

Reflection
Strengths: I did a lot better at interview than I would have if I'd applied in my first UCAS cycle - I'm actually semi-capable of talking to people now, which is a massive achievement for me no matter the outcome

Weaknesses: I'm applying as a post-uni-dropout, and I'm not sure I performed well enough at interview to show that the time out of education hasn't affected my maths too much :rolleyes:

Interview Assessment: The first one I'd say 7 or 8, I was pretty happy, but the second one was a 4 at a push :lol:

Why did you choose your college? It does maths and looks pretty (not much else to go off in a year where you can't even visit!).

What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, St Andrews, UCL, Edinburgh.
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Warwick

General Comments & Advice for others: Try not to get too invested in the outcome of the process, just enjoy it as it happens. I haven't at any point in the process felt like it was going well enough to get me an offer, but I'd be equally happy at most of my other options, so I've just been able to enjoy the interviews as a chance to do some fun extra maths rather than pressured situations.

Also did you know snails have thousands of teeth??? Wild...
Last edited by Interea; 7 months ago
yeetus-deletus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejected
Predicted Decision: Rejected

Course: Economics
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Girton College
Offer conditions:

Home, EU or International (Country): International (India)
GCSE Grades: As I am an international student, I am listing my AISSE (CBSE) grades (out of 100): Math-100, Science-96, Social Science-96, English-93, German-94.
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: I did the following subjects in the CBSE Board: English, Accountancy, Business Studies, Math, and Economics. Predicted 95-100 in all.
Other Qualifications: SAT Math Level 2 - 800/800

Reflection
Strengths: I like to believe my PS was decent enough, was able to link various super-curricular activities. Got an offer from UCL so can not be terrible.

Weaknesses: I don't think my ECAA was decent enough to warrant an interview; still surprised I got interviewed.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent): 5 at best.

Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent): 6 maybe. Some parts were good, was able to link the wider reading I had done. Others were straight-up terrible as I failed to make the most OBVIOUS links.

Why did you choose your college?: Open Application.

What other universities did you apply to? LSE, UCL, Warwick, and KCL.
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? LSE, if I get an offer. UCL else.
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? LSE, if I get an offer. UCL else.

General Comments & Advice for others: Cambridge is not the end of the world, your life should not revolve around it.

Last edited by yeetus-deletus; 7 months ago
maccles02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejected from Pool (very surprised to have been pooled)

Course: Medicine
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Queens'
Offer conditions:
Where were you when you heard: in a bio lesson lol

School Type: Private
GCSE Grades: 999999998
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, English Literature, Psychology

Reflection
Strengths: good GCSEs & predicted grades and a decent personal statement/teacher reference

Weaknesses: not doing 3/4 science A Levels, BMAT score

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: BMAT, didn't do amazingly (5.9 4.8 3A for future reference) so a 4/5 out of 9

Interview Assessment: probably 5 as an average across the two, not shocking but not particularly amazing

Why did you choose your college? love the location and that it's one of the larger colleges, friendly reputation and nice buildings

What other universities did you apply to? Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Leeds
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Leeds

General Comments & Advice for others: there's nothing more you can do now, as long as you gave everything your best shot you should be proud of yourself! applying to Cambridge is a big thing and no matter what happens to your application at least you gave it a go and remember that being rejected is not the end of the world.

Last edited by maccles02; 7 months ago
Orangebowl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: TBA
Predicted Decision: Rejected, or Pooled then rejected, or Pooled then accepted

College: Hughes Hall
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear:

Home, EU or International: International
School Type: Other
Other qualifications: 95/100 local secondary education diploma

Reflection

Strengths:
Having new ideas
Connecting complex ideas

Weaknesses:
Currently, Mathematics, I have to work in it.

At-Interview Admissions Assessment:
I absolutely failed most of the Mathematical questions, but I think I did a decent job in the essay, maybe a 5

Interview Assessment:
5 and 8, I failed to notice some stuff and connecting enough dots where I felt I should have been able to.

I applied directly to the Summer Pool last year, and after getting interviewed and rejected they suggested a second application would be worthwhile.

What other universities did you apply to? St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Lancaster, and UCL
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice?
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight?

Last edited by Orangebowl; 8 months ago
aliviapearl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: OMG OFFER
Predicted Decision: (just for a laugh I'll say accepted from Pool lol)

Course: English Literature
College: Homerton (pooled from Clare)
Offer conditions: A*AA (would be unconditional if I received an offer)
By what method did you hear: Email (9:00am exactly but too scared to check til 11:00am lmao)
Where were you when you heard: Unloading the dishwasher lol

School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 998888666643
A2 Subjects & Achieved Grades: A*A*A* in English Literature, English Language & Art

Reflection

Strengths
: My A level grades are good and I mostly enjoyed the interviews - the Fellows were lovely. I assume the essays I sent were a strength as they commented on liking them and my ability to defend my points.

Weaknesses
: My GCSEs are horrific (I had extenuating circumstances but my school never sent a form even though I asked). I said some silly things in my interviews and couldn't always use examples for my points and one of the Fellows essentially gave up and moved me on to another question. The ELAT was tough - I really didn't get on well with the theme - but hopefully I said something salvagable.

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment: ELAT - 1 out of 10. Got 40 💀 (but people have got in with lower/been rejected with higher so maybe it won't matter too much?)

Interview Assessment: A 6. In terms of enjoyment, a 10 - it's a wonderful experience to be able to speak to renowned academics. However, content-wise - I found some questions difficult and waffled til they moved me on, I openly disagreed with an academic and I forgot the protagonist's name! That being said, they were encouraging though and did tell me they liked specific aspects of my application (and I presume they wouldn't have wasted their breath if it wasn't at least a little true!)

Why did you choose your college? It was the only one I had the chance to visit, and it seemed a nice mix of modern and traditional and very liberal and friendly.

What other universities did you apply to? St. Andrews, Newcastle, York
What's your insurance choice? St. Andrews

General Comments & Advice for others: If you want to apply, go for it! You'll never know unless you try and frankly your teachers rarely know your full potential, especially when they're not the ones assessing your application. If you like the course, it's worth a chance.
Last edited by aliviapearl; 7 months ago
username2727276
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejected from pool
Predicted Decision: Rejected from pool (maybe an acceptance through the pool?)

Course: Natural Sciences (physical)
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Corpus Christi
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): email
Where were you when you heard: bed

School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): Grammar
GCSE Grades: 998A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (achieved, 2019) in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics

Reflection

Strengths: Achieved grades, reference, personal statement (includes olympiads - RSC Chemistry Olympiad - Gold, C3L6 - Gold but idk how important this really is), first interview (possibly)

Weaknesses: Possibly second interview, NSAA, applying as a dropout so grades might be a bit old, no further maths for Phys natsci (but I specifically applied to be considered by the DoS for Chemistry), and gap year plans (currently volunteering as a tutor and had some part-time work, but due to COVID my YINI placement that I applied for got withdrawn and it's been hard to find anything else)

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): NSAA changed format this year from a short answer section 2 to a multiple-choice format, which was a shame as I always did way better in the older format in the past papers :/ but it wasn't great or awful, think I did around average so 4/5

Interview Assessment: First interview went pretty decently, not much I would change, apart from being a bit rambly at the end - even the DoS said I did really well at the end of the interview! Second interview I said a few stupid things (some of which I said correctly in the first...) and maybe jumped in a bit too quickly into the last question and didn't really get what the interviewer was saying, but overall it still wasn't that bad and I managed to come to a conclusion for both parts of the interview (with some help). The first half of the second interview went much better than the second half (first half was maths, second half was chemistry).

First interview - 7/8 , second interview - 7 first half, 5/6 second half

Why did you choose your college? I think I'm eligible for the Corpus Bridging course which seems like a great initiative (applying as a care experienced student). Plus it's decently central but not too central, and being a smaller college appeals more to me. Not much else I can say about the college considering there wasn't an opportunity to visit it :P

What other universities did you apply to? Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham (stuck between choosing Nottingham or Bristol atm)

General Comments & Advice for others: So my application history is a bit different to most being a drop out from another uni. Due to being pressured to do medicine by my family the course was not right for me and so I withdrew in August last year and having visited Cambridge numerous times to visit my gf, the whole uni felt right for me and I felt happy there.

Do your research - The best thing to do is to look through specific colleges' websites and email admissions offices, as they have some nuances that aren't stated on the uni website, for example Corpus allows you to choose between chemistry or physics interviews. I initially applied to Cambridge for medicine 2 years ago now (rejected from pool) and it turns out I would've been eligible for adjustment (due to care), but I never knew that at the time so never got the email. Had I ticked the box I could've been there now! So for any applicants make sure you know about your own circumstances, choose the right subject for you based on what you enjoy, not from any limited understanding about career prospects or any assumptions you make about the subject. I'm very thankful that I even got an interview this time around, and the interview process was really fun even if it wasn't in person.

Last edited by username2727276; 7 months ago
username5471716
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision:

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Trinity (Holy **** why did I pick this)
Offer conditions:

GCSE Grades:
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades :
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths:Were there any?

Weaknesses:Panicked in the ECAA. Absolutely choked it - came out crying - didnt handle the time pressure. Future years - dont underestimate the ECAA

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc): (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent)
What can I say? OK/ mediocre - nothing great. Listen folks - if you wanna apply for econn at cam and are confident for you ability to speak and do maths - pick a college which has 2 interviews. Legit college choice does matter - cos they are the ones who ask the question. If there is a mantra then its this: They ask what they want to ask, not what you want them to ask.
Im gonna repeat this again on the 25th - dont pick trinity. Im regretting it already. Honest to god, if I get in, I swear I will donate £10 k or smth when im 40 to charity (If im that rich lol). Please pray for me.

What other universities did you apply to? LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUCL (Insurance)
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice?LSE - but even they havent replied lol
Idk man
Believe in urself. Dont underestimate the ECAA. Pick a college with 2 interviews - cos with one, I came out felling **** cos I had prepared so much, but was never questioned on it, so the college had no clue how much i read or debated. Like I seriously read like 8 different newspapers a day - and entered 6 different competitions in AS. Also, make sure you get a senior person to write a reference to cam. I had a complete nugget chemistry teacher and im pretty sure he messed up.
Please pray for me guys. If I get in, I'll be over the moon. If Im rejected, silence will tell all.
psychhhhh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Pending
Predicted Decision: Rejected or rejected from pool

Course: Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Downing
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear:

Home, EU or International (Country): Home, England
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): Independent
GCSE Grades: 99888888777
Other Qualifications: Gold DofE, Lamda

Reflection
Strengths: I have good A level predicted grades and I think I was able to convey my enthusiasm and drive in my interviews

Weaknesses: I found the interviews incredibly difficult and I felt as though I continuously needed prompting, also i don't take biology or maths A levels so if i'm pooled i'm unlikely to be accepted somewhere else

Downing is so beautiful and the 'sporty' inclination is something that would suit me hugely, I feel I'd fit in there the best (but if I get pooled and accepted to another college I, of course, wouldn't complain)

What other universities did you apply to? Bath, York, Warwick, Surrey
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? York
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Bath

No advice but I really really hope everyone gets the news that they're hoping for on the 25th! I myself am trying to remind myself that success is relative and there are so many great universities out there other than Cambridge.

Last edited by psychhhhh; 7 months ago
moso2203
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago
Decision:
Predicted Decision: i don't want to be overconfident or hubristic but i'm leaning towards accepted

Course: education
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): selwyn
Offer conditions:

Home, EU or International (Country): home
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): grammar
GCSE Grades: 3 nines, 7 eights, 1 seven
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : english A* psychology A politics A*
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: i enjoyed my interview overall, i had no major worries. the first interview went smoothly- the interviewers were nice and said a lot of good things about my application. there was no surprise questions - we discussed my PS, EPQ and the books that i read, so i had a good foundation for the discussion.

the second interview was honestly a breeze and felt like a filler almost. i was told to say anything about my EPQ that i didn't cover in the first interview, and then some general questions like, why this course etc. again, no major worries.

Weaknesses: for the first interview, my only worry is that, my course is technically two subjects - education with a psychology track. i was able to speak confidently about education and sociology (ps/epq/books were related to that) but i was prompted to speak more about psychology - because after all, that is the course i'm applying to. i don't think i was as confident when i spoke about the psychological side.

for the second interview i was ambushed towards the end with a question on my submitted work which was an english essay- one interviewer is an english lecturer so he grilled me on that despite being unrelated to my course

Why did you choose your college? i was very conflicted between homerton and selwyn. homerton is right next to the edu fac so that would be most convenient but a few things that made me choose selwyn were: proximity to isoc + prayer room, high state school intake, smaller overall size, in the centre but not bang in the centre, availability of halal food.

What other universities did you apply to? bham, ucl, manc, warw
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? bham
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? huh

General Comments & Advice for others: don't worry about representation or anything like that when considering cambridge. if you think you have the academic ability, go for it. i was motivated by ibz mo and seeing someone from the same ethnic background and also the same home circumstances as myself get into cambridge. you miss your shot if you don't apply in the first place - it's one slot, so give it a go!!

Elosant
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Accepted
Predicted Decision: Rejected from Pool

Course: Mathematics
College: Corpus Christi
Offer conditions: A*A*A; STEP: 1,1
Where were you when you heard: Toilet

School Type: State
GCSE Grades: 9888777666
AS Subjects & Grades:
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : A*A*A*
AS: A (Computer Science) B (Physics)

Reflection
Strengths: Good second interview

Weaknesses: Very poor first interview, poor GCSEs and B in Physics (I didn't sit the exam because of covid).

Interview Assessment: First interview: 4, Second Interview: 7.5

Why did you choose your college? It's small.

What other universities did you apply to? Warwick, UCL, Bath, Durham

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Warwick

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Warwick

General Comments & Advice for others: If you're applying for maths, I'd highly recommend choosing a college that provides two interviews, so that if you mess up in either one of them (like I felt I had done) you can make up for it in the other.
Last edited by Elosant; 7 months ago
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejected from pool
Predicted Decision: Pooled then either rejected or accepted (looking back id lean more towards rejected but I won't change it)

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Downing
Offer conditions:
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): email
Where were you when you heard: desk

GCSE Grades: 999998888
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : A*A*A*
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: strong BMAT, decent PS, interview wasn't awful but wasn't great

Weaknesses: 1st interview - needed help for a decent chunk but it was a really in-depth topic I had never learnt or seen before

BMAT, S1 6.4, S2 6.9, S3 3A. so probably like a 7

Interview:
My first interview started off with some questions about my personal statement, which quickly progressed to scientific questions, which I just about handled. I was asked the names of certain things, which I shouldn't have really been expected to know, and unfortunately didn't know, but oh well. The interviewer then gave me the basics on a 2nd year topic and asked me to figure out how a certain process works - this wasn't fun as the answer was something id never heard of, but once we got there, we looked at some diseases associated with it which went well.
Second interview went well overall - I was basically just applying textbook biology knowledge to describe what was happening in an image. There were one or two points where I needed a little prodding to get to the answer, but I didn't need to be outright told the answer, as I did in the first interview.

Why did you choose your college? best accommodation and right next to med lecture site

What other universities did you apply to? Bristol, Cardiff and Leicester
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Leicester
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Cardiff

General Comments & Advice for others: chill

Last edited by CJField; 7 months ago
asdfghjkl888
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: ACCEPTED (DIRECTLY) WHAAA?!?!

College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Peterhouse
Offer conditions: A*A*A
Where were you when you heard: In my dorm

Home, EU or International (Country): International
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): Private
IGCSE Grades: 12A*, 2A
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): AAA
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : A*A*A*A*
Other Qualifications
Other:

Reflection
Strengths: Strong BMAT, Decent PS, Second interview - answered the questions quite well, with minor slip-ups here and there

Weaknesses: First interview - felt like I needed quite a bit of prompting and wasn't that confident going into it cuz of the nerves; didn't know some stuff I should have I guess?

BMAT: 6.5, 7.7, 4A - 7.5/8
1st interview: 5? 6?
2nd interview: 8? 9?

Averages out to be 7 ish

Why did you choose your college? Liked the feel of a tight-knit cohort, as well as the college itself, and it's quite near the lecture site too

What other universities did you apply to? UCL, King's, Birmingham (interviews yet to be done)
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? UCL (hopefully)
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? UCL (hopefully)

General Comments & Advice for others: I mean, people always say your own perspective on how things went might be the complete opposite of what interviewers think, but I don't know.. I guess it's best not to set my expectations too high just in case I experience disappointment! Can't stop overthinking but I do know I tried my best and that's all that matter - no regrets I do encourage y'all to apply - go for it if you really want to!

(I still can't believe it....)

Last edited by asdfghjkl888; 7 months ago
ajbp03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: DIRECT OFFER!!!
Predicted Decision: Rejected (without being pooled)

Course: Veterinary Medicine
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Queens'
Offer conditions: to be confirmed
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): Email at 09:35
Where were you when you heard: In a forest on a walk haha

School Type: State School
GCSE Grades:
AS Subjects & Grades (include UMS if you have it): Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths, French and History
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Chem, Bio, Physics, Maths and French

Reflection
Strengths: Potentially my grades/ predicted grades, although most applications have high grades so maybe not.

Weaknesses: My NSAA and my interviews (especially the 2nd one)

Pre- or At-Interview Admissions Assessment (e.g. NSAA, CSAT, ELAT, ENGAA, BMAT, etc and include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 9=excellent): Messed up my NSAA, especially the maths section where I guessed most of them. I was very surprised to get an interview so I would probably give it a 2.

Interview Assessment (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent): My first interview didn't go too well (felt I needed a lot of prompting to get to the answers and made a few mistakes) so I would say it was a 3 or 4. My second interview started off going similar to the first but the last 10 minutes went awfully. Completely messed up the last question and couldn't answer it at all so I would put that interview at a 2.

Why did you choose your college?: I liked the look of it and it's location.

What other universities did you apply to? Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow (vet med) and Durham (nat sci)
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Liverpool (only one I've heard from so far)
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? N/A

General Comments & Advice for others: You should defiantly apply if you want to. Although my interviews went badly I did really enjoy them and they were actually my favourite vet med interviews!
Edit: I wrote this post before finding out and so it just shows how hard it is to tell how things went and even if you think it went badly, doesn't always mean that is the case!

N/A
Last edited by ajbp03; 7 months ago
ExoticFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Pending

Course: Engineering
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Emmanuel
Offer conditions: n/a
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): n/a
Where were you when you heard: n/a

Home
State
GCSE Grades:
99999998766 A^ in Further Maths
[b]A2 Subjects
Last edited by ExoticFight; 8 months ago
shhhania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: ACCEPTED - Pembroke
Predicted Decision: rejected from pool

Course: HSPS
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Pembroke
(based on the fact I found out Pembroke accepted some applicants without interview I think it’s likely I’ll end up in the pool)

Offer conditions:

Home, EU or International (Country): home
GCSE Grades: 8,8,8, Distinction ,7,6,5,5:4,3
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades : Politics A* Media A* English language/literature A
Other Qualifications: EPQ A
Reflection
Strengths: my statement and I think my interview went ok
I was accepted onto the Cambridge applicant support programme (CASP) which I think probably helped my application

Weaknesses: GCSEs are weak compared to most (I did have extenuating circumstances but it is the thing that worries me most and I think has put me at a disadvantage especially as there were no assessments for my subject)

Interview Assessment: (include what you think you scored: 1=bad, 10=excellent) 7

St. Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Bath (offers from all 4)

If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? St Andrews

If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? St. Andrews

General Comments & Advice for others: if you have the grades you might as well apply the experience I think helped with applying to other unis and if you don’t try you’ll be left wondering what if!!

Last edited by shhhania; 7 months ago
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejection
Predicted Decision: Rejection

Course: Computer Science
College: St. Johns
Offer conditions: N/A
Method of communication: Email
Where were you when you heard: In my room, doing a biology test

School Type: Comprehensive
GCSE Grades: 9999888888A*
A2 Subjects & Predicted Grades: Maths(A*), Further Maths(A*), Biology(A*), Chemistry(A)

Pre-Interview Assessment: CTMUA (1/9)
Interview Assessment: 2/9

Reflection:
Strengths:
Nothing really.
Weaknesses:
PS wasn't that good, CTMUA result was disappointing to say the least and the interview was quite bad. To be honest I'm surprised I got an interview at all.

I chose my college 5 minutes before my application was sent off (extreme procrastination). This involved glancing at pictures and reviews of them on the internet, shortlisting some that looked nice and then using a random number generator to decide for me. I do not recommend this method to others.

- Southampton (offer of A*AA)
- Warwick (offer of A*A*A)
- Bath
- Imperial College London

I would only recommend applying to Cambridge if you're sure it's for you. The process is taxing, very stressful and may amount to nothing (especially if your school is underperforming/not able to support you); it's not rank 1 in the UK for nothing.

N/A
Last edited by hajima; 7 months ago
karenawang
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Decision: Rejected after pooling (it's okay!!!)
Predicted Decision: I'd like to say Accepted (either directly or from pool) to stay positive!

Course: Psychological and Behavioural Sciences
College (original college, plus fishing college if pooled): Corpus Christi
Offer conditions: N/A
By what method did you hear (Email/Letter/UCAS/owl): Owl... Kidding, Email.
Where were you when you heard: At home with my family.

Home, EU or International (Country): International (currently studying in China)
School Type (Private/State/Grammar/Other): International
IB (with predicted score): 44/45 (HL 777)

Reflection
Strengths: I think my predicted grades are pretty good?

Weaknesses: I'm presuming either my personal statement or my interview... or both :P Waiting for feedback (I'll update this when I do receive feedback, even if it's general!)

N/A

I'd say ranging from a 6-8? I really enjoyed the interview and it was an amazing experience, I did get stuck on one question that I didn't know the answer to despite quite a lot of prompting from the interviewer... But I wasn't really nervous and left the interview room with a smile

Why did you choose your college? I really like the small size of Corpus (I prefer small communities) but also how central it is in the University! Plus it looks really beautiful, is quite green, and is just a college I could see myself studying at (though I wouldn't object to being pooled as well! I'm quite indecisive and I'm sure I'll love any college!)

What other universities did you apply to? UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, St. Andrews (and HKU and CUHK)
If you were accepted, what is going to be your Insurance choice? Depends on the offers but I'm thinking KCL or Edinburgh
If you were rejected, which university is benefiting from Cambridge’s huge oversight? Possibly King's or Edinburgh

General Comments & Advice for others: If I'm being honest, overthinking likely won't impact the results you get. Everything is done, and all that's left to do is wait! Try and take more breaks, relax, take your mind off applications so you don't feel overly stressed. Log off TSR, get off the Cambridge thread for a while, and come back on the 25th to share the exciting news that you've been accepted Hope you're doing well!
EDIT: I've been rejected, but I don't know why I didn't feel an overwhelming sense of sadness at all. Yes, I was disappointed... But I was also excited for the future. I have other offers (and scholarships) and I guess Cambridge maybe wasn't the right place for me. Congrats to all those who got accepted! Even if you didn't make it in the end, I'm proud of us for making it this far in the process already. You'll still go on to do great things 🥰 feel free to message me if you need to rant or anything!

Last edited by karenawang; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads