The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Experience in Durham

How easy to make friends? (in your opinion)
How is the teaching? (with and without COVID)
What course do you do?
What grades did you get to get in?
Is it really as sexist, racist and classist as people say?
Original post by crockscroc
How easy to make friends? (in your opinion)
How is the teaching? (with and without COVID)
What course do you do?
What grades did you get to get in?
Is it really as sexist, racist and classist as people say?

It's fairly easy to make friends imo, just because the people at your college on your course are people you end up spending a fair amount of time with due to the contact time. That said, with covid it's harder of course, since you don't have societies in addition and much less contact with your coursemates. You still have your flatmates/corridor mates though so it's certainly not impossible, just more likely you won't find a close friend.
The teaching varies massively per lecturer, both pre- and during covid. tbh I've found the teaching better during covid as we can go through it at our own pace and have less odd hours between things where there wasn't an awful lot to do but no time to go back to our room. That said I still have some rather terrible lecturers, and some great ones, and did pre-covid so it's all down to their teaching ability (lecturers are primarily researchers rather than teachers)
I do maths, I got A*A*A in maths, further maths and computing respectively, plus an A* in my EPQ, and 4.8 in the TMUA.
I wouldn't say so. As a female doing maths I've never experienced any sexism, and while I'm sure all three of those do happen, I wouldn't say it's particularly worse than any other uni. There are plenty of rich people, but other than them having more spending money and being happier in more expensive housing, none of the ones I know have ever made a big thing of it/even really made me aware of it, so classism isn't too much of a big thing. People do say if you come from nearby Durham you're more likely to come across people with snobby attitudes though :dontknow:
Hope that answers your questions :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
It's fairly easy to make friends imo, just because the people at your college on your course are people you end up spending a fair amount of time with due to the contact time. That said, with covid it's harder of course, since you don't have societies in addition and much less contact with your coursemates. You still have your flatmates/corridor mates though so it's certainly not impossible, just more likely you won't find a close friend.
The teaching varies massively per lecturer, both pre- and during covid. tbh I've found the teaching better during covid as we can go through it at our own pace and have less odd hours between things where there wasn't an awful lot to do but no time to go back to our room. That said I still have some rather terrible lecturers, and some great ones, and did pre-covid so it's all down to their teaching ability (lecturers are primarily researchers rather than teachers)
I do maths, I got A*A*A in maths, further maths and computing respectively, plus an A* in my EPQ, and 4.8 in the TMUA.
I wouldn't say so. As a female doing maths I've never experienced any sexism, and while I'm sure all three of those do happen, I wouldn't say it's particularly worse than any other uni. There are plenty of rich people, but other than them having more spending money and being happier in more expensive housing, none of the ones I know have ever made a big thing of it/even really made me aware of it, so classism isn't too much of a big thing. People do say if you come from nearby Durham you're more likely to come across people with snobby attitudes though :dontknow:
Hope that answers your questions :smile:

Thank you so much, your grades are amazing well done!!! I am planning to apply to law or politics, currently getting bs but have improved a grade in a term so i think its possible to get As and A*s. I also plan to live in a student house with my girlfriend, so i have her and can make friends :smile:
Reply 3
what is Durham and why is it suddenly trending?

don't live in Europe so i'm slightly confused
Original post by crockscroc
Thank you so much, your grades are amazing well done!!! I am planning to apply to law or politics, currently getting bs but have improved a grade in a term so i think its possible to get As and A*s. I also plan to live in a student house with my girlfriend, so i have her and can make friends :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'd highly recommend living in college in first year, that's definitely how you meet people best :yep: But after that student housing is popular and a good choice for having more space for chilling etc.
Original post by TrES2b
what is Durham and why is it suddenly trending?

don't live in Europe so i'm slightly confused

Durham in a university in the UK :smile: Trending on TSR is often just meaning it's been posted in recently.
Reply 5
Original post by Lemur14
Thanks :smile: I'd highly recommend living in college in first year, that's definitely how you meet people best :yep: But after that student housing is popular and a good choice for having more space for chilling etc.

Durham in a university in the UK :smile: Trending on TSR is often just meaning it's been posted in recently.

oh thanks! it seems to very popular is it like ivy league or equivalent? or why is it so popular :smile:
Original post by TrES2b
oh thanks! it seems to very popular is it like ivy league or equivalent? or why is it so popular :smile:

It's fairly widely considered a top uni here yes, although of course there are better unis for many subjects :smile: It's also collegiate, so people who like Oxford and Cambridge often like it, attracting some top applicants!
Reply 7
Original post by Lemur14
It's fairly widely considered a top uni here yes, although of course there are better unis for many subjects :smile: It's also collegiate, so people who like Oxford and Cambridge often like it, attracting some top applicants!

oh wow good to know!! thank you for informing me :smile:
Original post by TrES2b
oh wow good to know!! thank you for informing me :smile:

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending