The Student Room Group

Missing 1/3 of bibliography for dissertation

My boyfriend just finished writing up his dissertation, and left writing full references until the absolute last minute, meaning he only completed about 2/3 of them before handing the text in. All in-text references are complete, and turnitin detected 6% plagiarism - all applying to fully referenced quotes and info.

He's already contacted his tutor, who has told him they won't accept a late submission of a complete bibliography. What are the chances he'll fail for this?
Original post by bgc104
My boyfriend just finished writing up his dissertation, and left writing full references until the absolute last minute, meaning he only completed about 2/3 of them before handing the text in. All in-text references are complete, and turnitin detected 6% plagiarism - all applying to fully referenced quotes and info.

He's already contacted his tutor, who has told him they won't accept a late submission of a complete bibliography. What are the chances he'll fail for this?

He won't gain the marks for accurate referencing, and there may be obvious plagiarism issues at play too. If the quality of the dissertation itself is very high, and the marks he doesn't gain may not affect his overall mark that much - plagiarism claims may cause more issues though.
Original post by bgc104

Plagiarism is a serious offence and if your boyfriend has quoted without referencing then it could be serious. Thus if he has written a quote and clearly stated he was quoting then he will be marked down for poor referencing (10% penalty) but if he has quoted someone and tried to pass it off as his own - no use of quotation marks or stating he is quoting someone else's work and providing the name of the author - then it would be deemed plagiarism and that is going to lead to a fail and a request to resubmit. If he resubmits he will get just the pass mark. Assuming the dissertation is worth 40 to 60 credits then that will screw up his grade point average and probably cost him a grade.
Reply 3
Original post by mike23mike
Plagiarism is a serious offence and if your boyfriend has quoted without referencing then it could be serious. Thus if he has written a quote and clearly stated he was quoting then he will be marked down for poor referencing (10% penalty) but if he has quoted someone and tried to pass it off as his own - no use of quotation marks or stating he is quoting someone else's work and providing the name of the author - then it would be deemed plagiarism and that is going to lead to a fail and a request to resubmit. If he resubmits he will get just the pass mark. Assuming the dissertation is worth 40 to 60 credits then that will screw up his grade point average and probably cost him a grade.

Thank you so much for this - it's put my mind at ease slightly. Everything is very clearly referenced and in quotation marks in the text body - just with quite a few full references missing in the bibliography, so receiving only a 10% penalty would be a godsend for him. I'll pass this on and update as to how it's marked when it comes back in Feb!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending