Putting cash into my bank account...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
squid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Imagine the scenario, it's a sunday morning and you've been given £100 and you decide you want to spend it, however you need to use your debit card. When would be the soonest that the money would be available for use on the card? As in; when is the first time from that time would the bank be open and how does one do it and how long does it take to be processed?

Bank: Natwest.
ccharlyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Monday Morning.
And when you pay it in it automatically goes into your account, straight away.
So if you went to the bank at 9(if thats when your branch opens... check on the website) and payed it in at the counter, you could then go to the shop you want to spend the money in and use your card

EDIT: This is the case for cash. If its a cheque it takes 3-5 days.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is it cash? If it's cash then it's instant with my bank (hsbc)and I assume it's the same with NatWest

If it's a cheque, it takes 3 working days to clear
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
If you go in on Monday the money should be with you almost immediately (or at least the same day)

This is cash we're talking about. Not cheques.
squid
Rep:
?
oh nice
It's cash btw, I know about cheques
Thanks
minim
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought cheques are also instant if it's from the same bank?
Orthala
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
HSBC have their own cash machines which you deposit money and they pay you the money instantly.

Not sure about Natwest though. Ask bank staff.
moneyballs2
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
They should have "vending" style cash machines that accept notes to go in and they then get paid into your account for use.

Would be quite a good idea I think. Would save time and lots of paper filling in account numbers and sort codes!

Edit - HSBC seem to have stolen my idea before I even thought of it. Damn
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cheque clearing(ie when you can be told it is cleared) is 6 working days(t+6) for certainty of fate.

Reality on the ground is 2 days after paying a cheque in but any funds from the cheque should be used at your own risk...

Cash is instant.
squid
Rep:
?
(Original post by natweststaffmember)
Cheque clearing(ie when you can be told it is cleared) is 6 working days(t+6) for certainty of fate.

Reality on the ground is 2 days after paying a cheque in but any funds from the cheque should be used at your own risk...

Cash is instant.
What information do I need to take with me?
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by minim)
I thought cheques are also instant if it's from the same bank?
:ditto: they seem to be whenever I have to pay in checks from the same bank. Also they seem to go through quicker from someone's personal account rather than a business one. Maybe that's just the way things have worked for me, I dunno.

Cash sometimes takes a little while to go through, but it's never been more than about half an hour for me. Just check at the cash machine after you've paid it in and see what your balance is.
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squid)
What information do I need to take with me?
Paying in book. That's it.

I'm assuming, anyway. That's all I've ever needed, I'm with Lloyds TSB.
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its not quicker if it is same bank but there are exceptions to the rule.

For NatWest it is paying in book or card(we use chip and pin for paying in/taking out in the branch for natwest customers).
squid
Rep:
?
Its not quicker if it is same bank but there are exceptions to the rule.

For NatWest it is paying in book or card(we use chip and pin for paying in/taking out in the branch for natwest customers).
So I can take the cash and my "Natwest Cashcard" that has the SOLO sign on it? Also, how hard is it to "upgrade" to a nonkiddie account? I dislike having this cashcard because there are limited places online that accept it and I'd prefer a debit card... Also, if I was sent an EFT on say Monday the 15th of August, what day would the funds be available in my account? Are EFT's instant?

ty for help so far
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squid)
So I can take the cash and my "Natwest Cashcard" that has the SOLO sign on it? Also, how hard is it to "upgrade" to a nonkiddie account? I dislike having this cashcard because there are limited places online that accept it and I'd prefer a debit card... Also, if I was sent an EFT on say Monday the 15th of August, what day would the funds be available in my account? Are EFT's instant?

ty for help so far
Electronic Funds Transfer?
Where are the funds coming from? Does that bank use the Faster Payments Service?
How old are you with regards to the cashcard issue?
I wouldn't agree with you that a cashcard is just for kids cos I serve a lot of bigger and wiser kids who have cashcards
squid
Rep:
?
Electronic Funds Transfer?
Where are the funds coming from? Does that bank use the Faster Payments Service?
How old are you with regards to the cashcard issue?
I wouldn't agree with you that a cashcard is just for kids cos I serve a lot of bigger and wiser kids who have cashcards
Cashcard is aimed at people who simply want to be able to use ATMs, correct? I want mine for online, because transferring bank > paypal > merchant is a timely process. I'm 17 in a few days.

By EFT I do mean electronic Funds Transfer. The funds are being sent from america (I think so anyway, the money is from google).
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squid)
Cashcard is aimed at people who simply want to be able to use ATMs, correct? I want mine for online, because transferring bank > paypal > merchant is a timely process. I'm 17 in a few days.

By EFT I do mean electronic Funds Transfer. The funds are being sent from america (I think so anyway, the money is from google).
You cannot get a maestro card until you are 18 years old. The cheque guarantee part of the card is in fact Credit and you have to be 18 to be able to have credit.
If the funds are sent from the US then I have known it to take up to 5 days and sometimes longer. When the funds reach the bank it will be applied to your account immediately and is available to you straight away.
squid
Rep:
?
You cannot get a maestro card until you are 18 years old. The cheque guarantee part of the card is in fact Credit and you have to be 18 to be able to have credit.
I don't want a credit card, I want a debit card. I have a friend who's a year younger than me who got one from HSBC (might be loyds?).

Also, you're wrong about the credit, you must be. Last year I some how managed to get £3 "overdrawn" on my cash card and then incurred £76 in charges (I went £1 over and then another £2 over, 2x £38) and I don't have a clue how. Surely that is = to credit? Being able to spend money I didn't have?
the_fredster_001
Badges: 11
Report 11 years ago
why not use cash. "CASH IS KING!"
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by squid)
I don't want a credit card, I want a debit card. I have a friend who's a year younger than me who got one from HSBC (might be loyds?).

Also, you're wrong about the credit, you must be. Last year I some how managed to get £3 "overdrawn" on my cash card and then incurred £76 in charges (I went £1 over and then another £2 over, 2x £38) and I don't have a clue how. Surely that is = to credit? Being able to spend money I didn't have?
Would you like £76 for free? This is a genuine offer and I will post on the open forum how to get it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.23%
Confident (53)
13.62%
Indifferent (56)
14.4%
Unsure (99)
25.45%
Worried (149)
38.3%

Watched Threads