The Student Room Group

Urgent Help!- Accounting and Finance decisions MMU or Warwick

So im applying for Accounting and Finance at uni for a September start. Im stuck between the choice of Manchester Met or Warwick. Bare in mind that the course at Warwick would include an integrated foundation year, however if i went to MMU i would do a placement year. My A level grades arent the best so im wondering what would benefit me more in terms of future job prospects. Also how is the quality of education at MMU. ive seen some negative reviews however most of them are from many years ago so im not sure it they still apply today

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by elylarnyo
So im applying for Accounting and Finance at uni for a September start. Im stuck between the choice of Manchester Met or Warwick. Bare in mind that the course at Warwick would include an integrated foundation year, however if i went to MMU i would do a placement year. My A level grades arent the best so im wondering what would benefit me more in terms of future job prospects. Also how is the quality of education at MMU. ive seen some negative reviews however most of them are from many years ago so im not sure it they still apply today

Hands down Warwick. Much better uni, better prospects and so on. I would personally stay away from MMU as both are four year courses but Warwick is much much better.

In fact I’m even applying for the management with foundation year course. Could you tell me how quickly they responded and what grades did you have? I’m doing a btec and got D*DD.
Reply 2
Original post by S1M001
Hands down Warwick. Much better uni, better prospects and so on. I would personally stay away from MMU as both are four year courses but Warwick is much much better.

In fact I’m even applying for the management with foundation year course. Could you tell me how quickly they responded and what grades did you have? I’m doing a btec and got D*DD.

Thank you! but do you think a lack of experience would hinder me considering warwick doesnt offer placement years? also the fact that my a level grades arent good and i did it over the course of 3 years rather than 2, i thought that the chance to work in the industry would be more beneficial
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you! but do you think a lack of experience would hinder me considering warwick doesnt offer placement years?

Not at all, you can always do internships during the summer. Also they said on their website that you could take a placement year turning the 4 year course into 5 years if you think that will be beneficial to you.

In my opinion, you don’t need to if you get internships in the summer! Also could you tell me how long it took for Warwick to send you an offer?
Reply 4
Original post by S1M001
Not at all, you can always do internships during the summer. Also they said on their website that you could take a placement year turning the 4 year course into 5 years if you think that will be beneficial to you.

In my opinion, you don’t need to if you get internships in the summer! Also could you tell me how long it took for Warwick to send you an offer?

I Havent recieved an offer from warrick yet but i think i am likely to as the foundation year entry requirements are based more on living and school ratings rather than my actual grades. Also the grades i am applying with are BCC, very low
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I applied To Warwick foundation
I was eligible for the general thing which qualifies me for the foundation
But my predicted are A*ABB
Would that put me as a disadvantage
Reply 6
Original post by Tregi11

On the website it doesn't really specify about specific grades, more so about completing 3 a levels so i dont think it should affect your chances of receiving an offer. But considering how good you grades are im sure if you apply for the non-foundation course im sure you can get into it
Reply 7

Warwick
Reply 8
I Havent recieved an offer from warrick yet but i think i am likely to as the foundation year entry requirements are based more on living and school ratings rather than my actual grades. Also the grades i am applying with are BCC, very low

Oh I see. I had some problems with my PS so I’m applying quite late, I hope that isn’t a problem. But anyways good luck to you
Reply 9
Original post by S1M001
Oh I see. I had some problems with my PS so I’m applying quite late, I hope that isn’t a problem. But anyways good luck to you

As Long as you send off your application by the deadline (15th of Jan), it should not affect you in any way. Good luck to you too
Reply 10
Original post by Tregi11

Wait A*ABB?? Why not apply for management degree, or whatever you’re applying for, with contextual offer instead of applying for foundation year??
(edited 3 years ago)

Warwick is academically in a different league to Manchester Met.

Given you've applied to Warwick presumably that means you are happy with the location/campus/student life etc. because their is no real comparison here from a university perspective imo.
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
Warwick is academically in a different league to Manchester Met.

Given you've applied to Warwick presumably that means you are happy with the location/campus/student life etc. because their is no real comparison here from a university perspective imo.

to be honest the only reason i was considering MMU due to the student life and the location. I would choose MMU if i know it isn't going to hinder me in the future which is why I opted for the placement year. Other than the the Education nothing at Warwick interests me
to be honest the only reason i was considering MMU due to the student life and the location. I would choose MMU if i know it isn't going to hinder me in the future which is why I opted for the placement year. Other than the the Education nothing at Warwick interests me

Well if you wanted a larger city more buzz, I would say somewhere like Bristol/Nottingham would be obvious alternatives to Warwick if they offer a foundation year.
If you wanted a northern uni then uni of manchester/liverpool/newcastle would have been alternatives to Warwick.

I will recommend Warwick from an academic & job prospects viewpoint.
Original post by S1M001
Wait A*ABB?? Why not apply for management degree, or whatever you’re applying for, with contextual offer instead of applying for foundation year??

See, I don’t quite trust myself in getting the grades. I know it’s dumb but I felt like foundation was a very good back up.
As Long as you send off your application by the deadline (15th of Jan), it should not affect you in any way. Good luck to you too

Deadline has been extended to the 29th
Reply 16
Hello

Original post by Tashax2
Deadline has been extended to the 29th

Hello, where have you heard this? I’ve checked online and can’t find any updates but I could do with an extension. Thanks
Original post by S1M001
Hello

Hello, where have you heard this? I’ve checked online and can’t find any updates but I could do with an extension. Thanks

Someone else posted it here it should come out online today
Ffs I regret applying to Warwick foundation year now.
You think they can transfer me to the normal course? It doesn’t allow me to change on UCAS
Reply 19
Original post by Tregi11
Ffs I regret applying to Warwick foundation year now.
You think they can transfer me to the normal course? It doesn’t allow me to change on UCAS

You should be allowed to change your course on ucas within 14 days of submitting it? If not you might wanna call Warwick admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending