whatarethis
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am 24 currently and have a 1st in BSc Animal Science. I had the A-Levels to apply for vet med (3A*s) but I lacked confidence at 19 and was too scared to apply so i settled.

I am a different person now and a lot more confident, however I am still utterly terrified to apply for vet med. Mainly because I will have to self-fund and if i fail the money will be gone and i will be in my 30's with no career to speak of (have only had 'jobs' following uni nothing professional).

From experience, how hard is it to fail? Should i just be brave and go for it, im terrified, but at the same time dont know what else id rather do.
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You won't know if you'll fail if you don't go for it

If veterinary medicine is your passion I see no reason why you shouldn't take a stab at it - sure self funding means you lose the money instantly but even as an undergrad realistically you would still owe money for a long time and have that taken out your pay checks so whilst it is definitely a bigger financial burden paying upfront if you can afford it I would not let this stop you.

I am far from the most academically gifted but have yet to fail a vet school exam and I'm now clinical - so absolutely if you put in the work you can do it. People fail vet school exams from a lack of motivation/drive, not because they aren't smart - the body has evolved over millions of years through random mutation to work, so its pretty simple. Its just the volume of information to remember about the physiology and infectious disease that can be overwhelming.

From my point of view I say 100% go for it!
Leydwrc
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel this pressure, a lot. I am 29 and had an offer to study Vet Med in Bristol from September. I have just given up my place.

I can afford the fees, but the fear of messing up the course or hating the career (due to pay/stress/progress) when I graduate, has beaten me this time. I'm in a boring job which I hate but pays better than any level of being a vet. I can't do this job forever and I always wanted to be a vet, but graduating at 34 to go onto a £30k salary is terrifying if I don't like it. It makes me so sad to admit, but I guess it's my dream over and I'll stick to a desk job/wfh and make my peace with it
skyblue99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi all. Well, I'm turning 40 this year and have applied to vet school. I didn't apply when I was 18 because I didn't have the right A levels. I thought the desire to be a vet might "go away" if I ignored it long enough, but it hasn't. You're only 24! Just bloody do it, or you'll have to live with "what-ifs" for the rest of your life, and maybe be applying when you're 40, like me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads