Apprenticeship Furlough during Lockdown

Watch
PoopyStinky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I work for a public transport company as an apprentice. During the first lockdown myself and the other apprentices at the company were furloughed until June, when Boris encouraged everyone to return to work.

As the next lockdown was arguably less serious, we were advised by our company to continue to return to work.

However, I have heard nothing from either my company or my manager about the new lockdown imposed yesterday. I can only assume I will be continuing to return to work as normal.

I feel this is extremely unsafe as I take public transport for over an hour everyday to get to work, and even now, people are refusing to wear masks.

I don't understand why I am being left in the dark and am forced to continue to work when I am undergoing no significant "training" other than the college work I do from *home* once a week; *and* I am at risk of contracting the virus and subsequently infecting and potentially killing my parents, by continuing to work.(Both are in at risk category.) Not to mention the risk I pose to others by potentially asymptomatically passing it onto my fellow passengers on my commute.

As far as I'm concerned with the rapid increase in infections and the risk of COVId-19 far outweighing the risk of losing the little to no "training" I receive at work for a month, I think it should be blatantly obvious that I, and my fellow apprentices should be furloughed again. To not do so would be in my opinion, bone-idle and ignorant

If you get the sense from this novella that I may just want to get out of going to work, then you are absolutely right. However, my disdain for my workplace does *not* take away the clear hazard that I and others face each day going to work.

The latest update on Gov.uk concerning the lockdown, was on the 23rd of December 2020 and offers information about the now rescinded advice that schools would return on the 4th of January. So, as expected, no helpful advice from the government.

To get to my point...

Is anyone else in a similar position? Are you being told to continue to go to work? Should I email my company regarding my concerns?

P.S - My "training" and work cannot be performed from home.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You should talk to your manager.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by PoopyStinky)
I work for a public transport company as an apprentice. During the first lockdown myself and the other apprentices at the company were furloughed until June, when Boris encouraged everyone to return to work.

As the next lockdown was arguably less serious, we were advised by our company to continue to return to work.

However, I have heard nothing from either my company or my manager about the new lockdown imposed yesterday. I can only assume I will be continuing to return to work as normal.

I feel this is extremely unsafe as I take public transport for over an hour everyday to get to work, and even now, people are refusing to wear masks.

I don't understand why I am being left in the dark and am forced to continue to work when I am undergoing no significant "training" other than the college work I do from *home* once a week; *and* I am at risk of contracting the virus and subsequently infecting and potentially killing my parents, by continuing to work.(Both are in at risk category.) Not to mention the risk I pose to others by potentially asymptomatically passing it onto my fellow passengers on my commute.

As far as I'm concerned with the rapid increase in infections and the risk of COVId-19 far outweighing the risk of losing the little to no "training" I receive at work for a month, I think it should be blatantly obvious that I, and my fellow apprentices should be furloughed again. To not do so would be in my opinion, bone-idle and ignorant

If you get the sense from this novella that I may just want to get out of going to work, then you are absolutely right. However, my disdain for my workplace does *not* take away the clear hazard that I and others face each day going to work.

The latest update on Gov.uk concerning the lockdown, was on the 23rd of December 2020 and offers information about the now rescinded advice that schools would return on the 4th of January. So, as expected, no helpful advice from the government.

To get to my point...

Is anyone else in a similar position? Are you being told to continue to go to work? Should I email my company regarding my concerns?

P.S - My "training" and work cannot be performed from home.
Talk to your manager if you have any concerns. They can hopefully sort things out.
I am also still at work.as I am classed as a key worker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads