The Student Room Group

Do I need psychology to do a criminology degree?

Hi I’m currently looking to study crim but I don’t have a psych A-level. The unis don’t state any required subjects apart from one essay based subject which I have. Since I assume most applicants will be applying with A-levels like psychology-will this put me at a disadvantage, esp for Russell group unis?? Any advice appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Georgia1201
Hi I’m currently looking to study crim but I don’t have a psych A-level. The unis don’t state any required subjects apart from one essay based subject which I have. Since I assume most applicants will be applying with A-levels like psychology-will this put me at a disadvantage, esp for Russell group unis?? Any advice appreciated :smile:

i know somebody who’s applied for criminology and doesn’t take psychology who’s started getting uni offers! you should be fine :smile:
If it's not a requirement, it *shouldn't* matter at all. If some of the courses you're looking at are heavily psychology-based (I assume some might be for criminology) then it would be good to do some extra reading related to the subject from a more psychological perspective that you could talk about in your personal statement, but even that shouldn't be necessary. Good luck!
Criminology is a social science degree - it isn't about 'training to be a forensic/criminal psychologist'.
So, Psychology is not a required subject.
You wouldn’t need it, but imo I’d advise against doing a criminology degree
Original post by hootdoot04
You wouldn’t need it, but imo I’d advise against doing a criminology degree

Is there a particular reason? I’ve just sent my ucas so it’s a bit late now lol
Original post by McGinger
Criminology is a social science degree - it isn't about 'training to be a forensic/criminal psychologist'.
So, Psychology is not a required subject.

Ok good, it’s only cause the courses I’m looking at seem to include a lot of psych and are bsc. Would sociology be necessary then?
Original post by OCorOOC6337
If it's not a requirement, it *shouldn't* matter at all. If some of the courses you're looking at are heavily psychology-based (I assume some might be for criminology) then it would be good to do some extra reading related to the subject from a more psychological perspective that you could talk about in your personal statement, but even that shouldn't be necessary. Good luck!

Thankyou! Hopefully I’ll get some offers then :smile:
Original post by Georgia1201
Is there a particular reason? I’ve just sent my ucas so it’s a bit late now lol

Because it’s not really the most useful and many people do it so the market is oversubscribed and tbh a law degree and years of experience would be better in a criminal themed job. But at the end of the day it’s your life and it’s important that you’re happy x
Hi there,

I am currently doing a degree in Criminology and Psychology, and whilst I did complete an A-Level in Psychology, it is not completely necessary for you and will not put you at a disadvantage. It gives you a little bit of back knowledge into the behaviours of individuals, but criminology is very based on the laws, the justice system, society etc. rather than individuals as a whole. I did not do any criminology based education before starting this degree but have found that some of my criminology modules, I have done better on than psychology modules! As long as you have the passion, nothing should get in your way!

Toni,
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest