The Student Room Group

Please sign this petition for international alevel students.

It’s so unfair to leave all international students out of these life-changing decisions, yet again. If exams are cancelled for UK students they should be cancelled for everyone else and graded following the same parameters, this is the only way of ensuring exam conditions are equal and fair for everyone. Uk students aren’t the only ones who have had online teaching, lost lessons and are putting themselves in danger.
International A Levels & IGCSE 2021 must be cancelled in line with the cancellation of GCSE and A Levels in England. It is wholly discriminatory against IGCSE pupils to make them take exams that their peers are not required to. It seems very unjust!
It will be very unfair for UK students to not take the exam because of missed school hours. Yet forcing international students to take them despite also missing out on the same if not more hours and that’s not it, you want us to risk our loved ones lives too!

Please sign the petition :
http://chng.it/DtZkvkqg7h

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kookhobi
It’s so unfair to leave all international students out of these life-changing decisions, yet again. If exams are cancelled for UK students they should be cancelled for everyone else and graded following the same parameters, this is the only way of ensuring exam conditions are equal and fair for everyone. Uk students aren’t the only ones who have had online teaching, lost lessons and are putting themselves in danger.
International A Levels & IGCSE 2021 must be cancelled in line with the cancellation of GCSE and A Levels in England. It is wholly discriminatory against IGCSE pupils to make them take exams that their peers are not required to. It seems very unjust!
It will be very unfair for UK students to not take the exam because of missed school hours. Yet forcing international students to take them despite also missing out on the same if not more hours and that’s not it, you want us to risk our loved ones lives too!

Hello kookhobi,

Hope all is well in regards to your petition. I agree that it is unfair for international students to do the exam if they don't want to, especially if they have lost weeks (or months) worth of education, and agree that there should be a consistency in the decisions the government makes. Though, don't you think that you should be given a choice to do the exam and a choice not to, international or not?

Many regards
Reply 2
Original post by Kototorynana
Hello kookhobi,

Hope all is well in regards to your petition. I agree that it is unfair for international students to do the exam if they don't want to, especially if they have lost weeks (or months) worth of education, and agree that there should be a consistency in the decisions the government makes. Though, don't you think that you should be given a choice to do the exam and a choice not to, international or not?

Many regards

hi, you’re right. people should also be given a choice to do the exam and a choice not to. I should have included that too. Thank you 😊
Reply 3
keep sharing this , the larger it grows, the better for us. http://chng.it/m6BKfyTZTc
Reply 4
Does anyone know what this means for those who do Cambridge International exams but live in the UK? Will CAIE cancel their exams in England despite saying they plan to go ahead with the June 2021 series in countries where it is safe? I ask because I am a private candidate doing CAIE’s A levels living in England and am still unsure if the government’s decision to replace exams with teacher assessed grades applies to me or not since it’s still an international exam board. Hopefully CAIE will be more clear in clarifying what’s happening w exams tomorrow when they make their next statement.
Reply 5
I'm doing IGCSE with NEC and they announced today that our exams are cancelled too. How it's possible that your summer IGCSE exams still go ahead?
Original post by Ylloh9
Does anyone know what this means for those who do Cambridge International exams but live in the UK? Will CAIE cancel their exams in England despite saying they plan to go ahead with the June 2021 series in countries where it is safe? I ask because I am a private candidate doing CAIE’s A levels living in England and am still unsure if the government’s decision to replace exams with teacher assessed grades applies to me or not since it’s still an international exam board. Hopefully CAIE will be more clear in clarifying what’s happening w exams tomorrow when they make their next statement.

Yes, CAIE exams are still going to take place in England. My school clarified this.
Reply 7
Hi is there a sort of template you used for the email or would it just be ok to email them our concerns we have in any format? thanks
The SPaG of this petition is awful.
Reply 9
IGCSEs or IALs are not national qualifications though. They're not regulated by Ofqual.

@Compost
Original post by kookhobi

International A-levels are different qualifications its just they are seen as academically equivalent.
Different people make the decision. Also life isnt fair, get over it.
If they are safe to sit in your part of the world then you should be sitting them.

People in panama dont stop growing coffee just because the UK farmers cant grow it here with the weather.
(edited 3 years ago)
As others have said, it's not. Why should a school that teaches IGCSEs in, say, China (where life has been back to normal for months) not be able to have exams because the UK government has cancelled GCSEs in England?
IGCSEs are independently operated from GCSEs and held at arms length from the government, it's just that they are treated as equivalent by virtually all institutes and employers (in fact IGCSEs are considered a higher standard). They are designed by the various exam boards internally and more popular among British private schools (who are going ahead with exams this year) which is why they are going ahead.
Reply 13
Original post by V℮rsions
The SPaG of this petition is awful.

wdym
Original post by NBbradley
Yes, CAIE exams are still going to take place in England. My school clarified this.

Is this a school in the UK?
Reply 15
Yes I agree it’s very inconsistent, CAIE have confirmed that exams are going ahead in the UK which seems absolutely ridiculous since the majority of the country doesn’t have to do their exams but some will just because they happen to do an international exam board despite still living in the UK.
Original post by Ylloh9
Yes I agree it’s very inconsistent, CAIE have confirmed that exams are going ahead in the UK which seems absolutely ridiculous since the majority of the country doesn’t have to do their exams but some will just because they happen to do an international exam board despite still living in the UK.

But it's not a national qualification. They don't have to abide by the UK's rules. They're not regulated.
Reply 17
Original post by Tolgash
But it's not a national qualification. They don't have to abide by the UK's rules. They're not regulated.

Yes I know CAIE is not overseen by ofqual and the UK DfE but they do correspond with them and should make the decision to cancel their exams in the UK at least and let them run elsewhere in the world. How is it fair that I have to do my A level exams just because I happen to do an international exam board, despite living in the UK where everyone else doesn’t have to do them. Also many UK students do igcse’s with CAIE. I’m not saying they should be cancelled everywhere, just at least in the UK to make it more consistent with what the government have decided.
Original post by Ylloh9
Yes I know CAIE is not overseen by ofqual and the UK DfE but they do correspond with them and should make the decision to cancel their exams in the UK at least and let them run elsewhere in the world. How is it fair that I have to do my A level exams just because I happen to do an international exam board, despite living in the UK where everyone else doesn’t have to do them. Also many UK students do igcse’s with CAIE. I’m not saying they should be cancelled everywhere, just at least in the UK to make it more consistent with what the government have decided.

They don't need to listen to the DfE. How is it fair that private schools in the UK even get to do IGCSEs anyway? It can be less rigorous at times, yet the grade is still the same as a GCSE one. For example, the English course has a coursework option in it, while the GCSE is 100% exam! Did CIE listen to the British government with the decision to make the course like that?

If your school picked IGCSEs, it should accept the consequences.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ylloh9
Yes I know CAIE is not overseen by ofqual and the UK DfE but they do correspond with them and should make the decision to cancel their exams in the UK at least and let them run elsewhere in the world. How is it fair that I have to do my A level exams just because I happen to do an international exam board, despite living in the UK where everyone else doesn’t have to do them. Also many UK students do igcse’s with CAIE.

There are a lot of domestic A level students who would rather take exams.

A tiny proportion of UK students do IGCSEs with CAIE. State schools don't teach them and the majority of private schools don't either.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending