Does it really matter where you obtain an Accounting and finance degree from?

Watch
elylarnyo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to study at Manchester Met but I am aware that its not the best uni in terms of ranking or prestige. I have less than average a levels however i am looking to make up for it by doing a placement year and joining the accounting societies etc. What I mean to say is, will studying at MMU ruin my future job prospects or is it about how hard i work and my work experience?
Fehzan Mehdi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elylarnyo)
I want to study at Manchester Met but I am aware that its not the best uni in terms of ranking or prestige. I have less than average a levels however i am looking to make up for it by doing a placement year and joining the accounting societies etc. What I mean to say is, will studying at MMU ruin my future job prospects or is it about how hard i work and my work experience?
No it won't impact your future job prospects if you're looking to get into accounting and finance. Your plans for a placement and joining societies are spot on. I'd also suggest going to insight days or work experience weeks at the Big 4 / Top 10 to get ahead.

Most schemes will stipulate a 2:1 entry requirement, they won't discriminate on the university. I've worked with people in the same grad cohort with degrees from Oxford and other universities which aren't viewed in the same class.
elylarnyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fehzan Mehdi)
No it won't impact your future job prospects if you're looking to get into accounting and finance. Your plans for a placement and joining societies are spot on. I'd also suggest going to insight days or work experience weeks at the Big 4 / Top 10 to get ahead.

Most schemes will stipulate a 2:1 entry requirement, they won't discriminate on the university. I've worked with people in the same grad cohort with degrees from Oxford and other universities which aren't viewed in the same class.
Thank you! its good to know that. But i am also worried about my A Level grades. Due to the pandemic i have been unable to sit exams two years in a row now, so i am leaving sixth form with grades BCC-CCC which translates to 104 Ucas points/ Do you think this would affect my chance of getting a graduate job as i know most of them require tariff points of at least 112-120.
Fehzan Mehdi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It could go either way tbh I think you may be okay as a lot of firms are now moving away from a level requirements and focussing more on assessments at the application stage. But I wouldn’t recommend holding out on that, do your a level exams in first year of uni. Try to improvise to a BBB overall.
elylarnyo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fehzan Mehdi)
It could go either way tbh I think you may be okay as a lot of firms are now moving away from a level requirements and focussing more on assessments at the application stage. But I wouldn’t recommend holding out on that, do your a level exams in first year of uni. Try to improvise to a BBB overall.
Im not able to improve my grades as 2 of my grades are from the 2020 exams that got cancelled and now the resits have been cancelled also unfortunately. But I’m just hoping exceptional work at uni and some work experience will help boost my applications. Hopefully when I do apply for graduate schemes in 4 years time they will be less lenient towards ucas points
Fehzan Mehdi
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I agree with you but my advice was just to ensure you covered all eventualities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.22%
Virtual campus tours/open days (131)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.7%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.63%
A uni comparison tool (125)
23.15%
An in-person event when available (119)
22.04%