What's got you most worried during lockdown three?

Watch this thread
Poll: What's got you most worried during lockdown three?
Online learning (141)
12.14%
Uni applications (116)
9.99%
Exam results (516)
44.44%
Mental health (172)
14.81%
Managing relationships (45)
3.88%
Job prospects or work experience (68)
5.86%
Money (25)
2.15%
Not being able to work (20)
1.72%
Physical health (38)
3.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (20)
1.72%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This has been another pretty hectic week with big announcements from Boris Johnson on Monday evening about the closure of schools (to most students) and that exams would not go ahead 'as expected'.

Around the forums we've been seeing a lot of worry and stress about the situation students have suddenly found themselves in.

Our aim is to be able to support you as much as possible with the stuff that's most useful to you during this difficult time.

So what are you worrying about most as a result of all the changes announced this week?

How can TSR be most helpful to you over the coming weeks and months?

If you are finding things tough right now, you're definitely not alone. There's loads of support available, heaps of which you can access just from your phone. Here's a big old list of suggestions. Please do reach out.
Spoiler:
Show

Dr Radha's five mental health tips for lockdown
Video content (with captions, audio and animations, approx 2 mins)

Childline
Good for younger members, includes easy to understand articles and games. Nothing too specific about COVID.

Childline BSL
Support service for children who use British Sign Language. They can sign to a counsellor.

Samaritans Self Help App
This is a desktop app (in-browser) which can help users will longer term MH habit tracking and creating a toolbox for themselves. They create a free account and can log mood, look for patterns, make safety plans, etc.

Advice for handling uncertainty
Article from Good Thinking London. Text-heavy but with lots of links out to other helpful resources. Informed by their clinical team.

Common MH questions/experiences - Young Minds
With practical tips and experiences shared by student bloggers

The Mix - advice for under 25s
Good MH stuff, but also includes things about tenancy rights, homelessness during covid, relationships, etc

Student Space - uni students
Good articles and links to support services (phone, email, text) for university aged students

15 ways to switch off - Blurt
Good for acknowledging how having a break from things like the internet can really help

Then we've got our tried and true support services for people to call/text/email:
Samaritans
Childline
Papyrus
5hyl33n
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I think what's worrying me the most is the pressure of doing well in topic tests. I have also noticed a few students in my year starting to slack off now that exams are not going ahead.

I think TSR is doing a great job so far of helping students!
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Money and mental health.

I have no money and my usual way of earning money has been impacted by covid.
My mental health always goes downhill when I'm stuck away from people with my own thoughts. It's made even worse by the covid holier-than-thou types (why are very common on this website) who like to let you know that other people have it worse and to 'man up' basically.

TSR can do **** all.
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i'd say it's a mix of mental health and whether we can go back to uni or not.
shirokuro3
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I wish I could choose multiiple options... Almost all of these apply to all of us, and they've all been hard to manage.
bruh2021
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'd say the lack of revision i'll be doing and going back to school having forgotten everything.
Obolinda
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
im lucky that there is little to no negative impact directly to me as result of this particular lockdown.
BrowniesMorgan
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Going from an extremely motivated student studying 14 hours a day to someone who just wanted to lie on my bed reading books that are completely irrelevant to my curriculum. I find it hard to interpret why I am so demotivated, but the lack of it is certainly unmistakable.
IKEASMRPanda39
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The fact that it's been 1 year since my mental health was at it's lowest, and it seems like I'm back at square 1. Confidence, motivation, self-esteem are non-existent, and I'm approaching my final semester of my uni experience...
username5453336
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Not exam results, more “am I actually going to do my exam”
SetethFlayn
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'm worried about being made to work online from home, especially now I'm in second year so the marks actually count unlike last year. I live with a Narcissistic father (who is getting...weirder by the day) and as such have no privacy or boundaries which can be set to enable me to get on with it. Working on the floor/bed is uncomfortable as well, but we don't have desks and chairs here. Trying to head back to campus as other circumstances would enable me to do so with the unis permission, but then my other worry if that's sorted is; how long will I have to stay in my halls for? Mid-Feb they're saying, but as we've all learned now, anything can change. I want to get out of here, but not to be trapped alone in my uni room indefinitely - at least at home I've got my bros.
A_J_B
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Worried about the outlook of the UK economy in the future, especially since we are a country of waiters and waitresses (heavily service industry)
FailedPaper5712
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Please consider signing this to protect teenager's mental health:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559964
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Catching covid from work and giving it to my parent.
We are now on shifts so the risk has been reduced but with it comes the mental and physical strain of doing 2 weeks of getting up at 4am followed by 2 weeks getting home at 10pm
Especially when you feel invisible as a non-NHS keyworker feels like we are like a ghost army going unnoticed and unappreciated. Im grateful to even have a job but it can be a bit tiring sometimes when it feels like you are one of the only ones going out for the daily hard grind.
absolutelysprout
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
mental health and housing for second year
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
This has been another pretty hectic week with big announcements from Boris Johnson on Monday evening about the closure of schools (to most students) and that exams would not go ahead 'as expected'.

Around the forums we've been seeing a lot of worry and stress about the situation students have suddenly found themselves in.

Our aim is to be able to support you as much as possible with the stuff that's most useful to you during this difficult time.

So what are you worrying about most as a result of all the changes announced this week?

How can TSR be most helpful to you over the coming weeks and months?
1) Mental health, online learning (I don't have a suitable study space at home and my home WiFi isn't the best either), assessments/exams (York has announced a series of measures to safeguard grades today, but it's not a 'safety net' and I can't see how it would benefit me and many others) and accommodation for third year (in a huge predicament over whether I'm doing a placement year or not).

2) I don't know. I'm definitely going to get in touch with my academic supervisor as I'm really struggling atm. I could return to York, but it's not that easy - most of my uni friends are staying at home so I'll be alone and bored if I do return. :/
username1817907
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
fml hate my life, covid has legit ruined the world looool, and to think that we all imagined it would be over by 2021!! what a joke
ThomH97
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Exam results are fine, everyone's in the same boat. Sure, it will favour coursework students and teachers' pets more heavily, but these aren't things to dismiss in later life either (doing long term projects thoroughly, and getting along with your boss). I'd probably have waited until later to cancel them though, they give students something to focus on and they'll actually benefit from studying even if not examined on the material.

Mental health is a big one, but that's dependent on the individual. A lot of people like spending all day on their phone/computer, whereas others crave face-to-face social interaction.

Jobs is the biggest one, I feel. If you don't currently have a job, you're going to struggle even more now with fewer available and even more out of work, and you can't even build up 'free' work experience, while those currently in work continue to build their CV.
MajorFader
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have a genuine concern for the hospitals. We hear about how they struggle every winter with just flu admissions but, statistics have shown that we may could well see the scenes of Spain back in April. We’ve never had this many people seeking hospital treatment at the same time since Spanish flu.
parmezanne
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BrowniesMorgan)
I find it hard to interpret why I am so demotivated
I reckon I can probably pin point it - lockdown!

you're not alone. all of us, secondary students, uni students and other students are stuck. when you're not in the zone, not in the normal learning environment, it can be tough to find any kind of motivation. it's totally understandable, don't worry! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (118)
40.41%
They're exactly what I expected (70)
23.97%