The Student Room Group

Access to Medicine as a mature student

**reposting here as I was advised to

Hi everyone,

So, I left school at 17 without completing my AS / A levels. I left to start a business which I later sold. I’ve spent the last 9 nine years in private equity backed businesses, whilst running other businesses of my own.

Most recently (within 12 months) I opened a franchise based gym in West London (who knew covid would happen huh...)

My career has been in technology and I’ve largely held senior board positions (CTO/CIO).

My lack of formal qualifications has never held me back and I do hold an array of technical qualifications in IT.

However, this last year has made me rethink what I’ve done with my life and more importantly, what I haven’t done.

I am looking at career in medicine, but would need to either achieve A levels or an Access to Medicine diploma to enable me to apply to med school with a chosen university

So my question is really for those that have taken this route; did this diploma enable to apply to and be accepted into your chosen university?

Or did it essentially pigeon hole you?

Has your journey into medicine been successful as a result?

For reference, I am 32, financially stable and do not need to work nor borrow to do this.

Many thanks,

Ben

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending