Avesta2003
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What course are you hoping to study?
Choose the course not the university.
It's Maths and CompSci, but I just want to know the pros and cons of the university and city itself, not my course.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Avesta2003)
It's Maths and CompSci, but I just want to know the pros and cons of the university and city itself, not my course.
As I said: choose the course, not the university.

Having visited friends there a couple of times, it's a nice vibrant city with plenty to do. The campus is pleasant and surburban, with very good public transport connections to the city centre. I've heard fairly good things about the Maths department and have no idea about the CompSci department. Facilities on campus are as you'd expect from a large university and nothing out of the ordinary (aside from perhaps the student cinema ran by the SU).

The disadvantages are probably that it's a more expensive place to live than many other parts of the country (though far cheaper than London) and the tap water is crap. Rent can be quite pricey if you're living in a house share (or you can live in a very squalid house nice and cheaply).

I hope this helps, but like I say - focus on the course.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
Really depends on the course/department. I'm across 3 different departments at Southampton (politics, philosophy and economics) and they're all good and bad in different ways. Overall I love the uni and I know a lot of people doing maths and philosophy that enjoy studying maths there as well - the philosophy department is just one of the best. Engineers seem to really love their departments as well, they get a lot of resources and labs which I think compsci people have access to as well.
Some departments are far more responsive to student feedback and student experience, e.g. philosophy and politics vs economics. Some provide a lot more career support, e.g. econ vs politics. The differences across departments are probably quite similar at most other universities and quite predictable tbh.
The students are pretty chill and fun. Not super diverse across certain courses (e.g. philosophy) but nothing uncomfortable like going to Exeter - I'm also from London so what I consider diverse is not common in most parts of the UK.
Clubs are pretty standard. I think Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham (and obvs London) have far better partying experiences but Southampton isn't 'bad'.
It's super green and the campuses are quite large/spread out so I find it a lot more refreshing to be in, plus my grades are definitely better in that environment.
There's the option of staying in halls in the city centre where there are a lot more clubs, bars, the shopping centre and students from solent as well. Or staying closer to campus which is a bit quieter but everyone always makes the trek to the city centre for nights out so you wouldn't be on your own, and you'd be closer to all the house parties and majority of halls.
Standard variety of clubs/societies to join and loads of volunteering opportunities to get involved in. Usually, have summer boat parties and winter balls etc. Decent uni career service, incredible counselling and mental health support as well as one of the best support systems for anyone with disabilities.

Tbh I'd highly recommend it but I, and most people I'm friends with from soton, come back to London loads as it's so easy so we get the best of both.
If you're looking for somewhere with a big clubbing/partying scene and very urban then there are better places for that. If you're comfortable with a bit of a mix and maybe more house parties (esp. with covid) instead of clubbing then soton is great. If you also quite like nature then definitely go here as I didn't realise I did until I went there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads