The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
this is an excellent thread and I am so very glad that this is open.
Reply 21
LawYah
this is an excellent thread and I am so very glad that this is open.

:proud:
tami*
willn't is harder to say than won't

:yep: sounds kinda stupid too.
Reply 23
Hey we should sticky this thread so everybody can see this thread and read this thread.
Reply 24
LawYah
Hey we should sticky this thread so everybody can see this thread and read this thread.

Agreed.
urbandervish
"Ain't" sounds about right.

Ain't, of course, is completely wrong. Instead of saying it ain't right, you should say it isn't right, and this is a general rule. Every attempt to say aint should be replaced by isn't.:yep:

Thus ain't the paint quaint? is correctly rendered as isn't the pisn't quisn't. :smile:
Good bloke
Ain't, of course, is completely wrong. Instead of saying it ain't right, you should say it isn't right, and this is a general rule. Every attempt to say aint should be replaced by isn't.:yep:

Thus ain't the paint quaint? is correctly rendered as isn't the pisn't quisn't. :smile:

You ain't wrong!

= you isn't wrong!

No wait, you are wrong.
Good bloke

Oh! :rofl:

We just have to marvel at the unique lunacy of our language in which a house can burn up as it burns down, one can fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on... what the **** is going on! :unsure:
urbandervish
Oh! :rofl:

We just have to marvel at the unique lunacy of our language in which a house can burn up as it burns down, one can fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes off by going on... what the **** is going on! :unsure:

And don't forget cricket, in which the team that is in goes out and bats until it is all out. It then goes in and and the team that was not in goes out, and is in.
Good bloke
And don't forget cricket, in which the team that is in goes out and bats until it is all out. It then goes in and and the team that was not in goes out, and is in.

No wonder they say; "it's not quite cricket!"
:hmmmm2:
Reply 30
urbandervish

No wonder they say; "it's not quite cricket!"
:hmmmm2:

It aint quite cricket :wink:
I say!
SillyFencer
It aint quite cricket :wink:

Now that would be a "Silly Point." :p:
The lunacy of the English language, eh.
Reply 34
I willn't accept this!
Hear hear.
Reply 36
not as bad as when people write "wan't" arghhhh
Reply 37
I could care less :biggrin:
Reply 38
Ive always thought it was a strange word too!
There are others that are weird too but I can't remember them.
I consider this thread further proof of how our language is just one big exception to the rule. How so many people across the world speak it is beyond me...

Latest

Trending

Trending