scepticsceptic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What is chemistry like at Alevel? I'm in year 11 right now, is chemistry alevel a big jump from gcse? Is the content very different?
I.3332
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My sibling did it and honestly it’s not as big as you think. Just as any A Level it is simply going into make depth
scepticsceptic
Rep:
?
(Original post by I.3332)
My sibling did it and honestly it’s not as big as you think. Just as any A Level it is simply going into make depth
thank you for the reply
TrES2b
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by scepticsceptic)
What is chemistry like at Alevel? I'm in year 11 right now, is chemistry alevel a big jump from gcse? Is the content very different?
as with any a level it as a HUGE jump. a lot of the content stems from GCSE knowledge and I'll preach this til the day I die you must ensure your GCSE chemistry knowledge is solid. for me personally, the transition wasn't that bad in the first term (content-wise) but the workload was tremendous. I find that so far the content isn't very difficult but there's a lot of it. as with year 13, it does not compare to GCSE at all. year 13 is where it gets the hardest but you're more prepared for it at that point as you learn time management skills along the way. do not take it if you are not willing to work hard because you won't get some of it the first time so you need to constantly go over it until it clicks for the two year course. however I really like it it's interesting, but it is very complex.

hope this helps
RambleAmple
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Unfortunately I'll disagree with the first reply - I think it was a massive jump, I did enjoy chemistry and was decent at it at GCSE, A Level to me was not comparable. I found it absolutely tough and didn't enjoy it, but if you stick with it and really put in a lot of time and effort then it's doable, and it obviously depends on your skills - I am not good at anything past basic maths and prefer essay subjects and biology, so to me it was far from easy sailing, but my friends who were amazing at maths didn't find chemistry that bad. I did end up getting an A though it was last year through CAGs, but my teachers did truly believe I'd get an A while I thought I'd maybe scrape it or get a B.
scepticsceptic
Rep:
?
(Original post by TrES2b)
as with any a level it as a HUGE jump. a lot of the content stems from GCSE knowledge and I'll preach this til the day I die you must ensure your GCSE chemistry knowledge is solid. for me personally, the transition wasn't that bad in the first term (content-wise) but the workload was tremendous. I find that so far the content isn't very difficult but there's a lot of it. as with year 13, it does not compare to GCSE at all. year 13 is where it gets the hardest but you're more prepared for it at that point as you learn time management skills along the way. do not take it if you are not willing to work hard because you won't get some of it the first time so you need to constantly go over it until it clicks for the two year course. however I really like it it's interesting, but it is very complex.

hope this helps
thank you! do you think that it's the hardest alevel as everyone seems to say, or are they all the same difficulty/workload wise?
TrES2b
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by scepticsceptic)
thank you! do you think that it's the hardest alevel as everyone seems to say, or are they all the same difficulty/workload wise?
ahhh hard to say really. I think it's all about the person. for example, some people say physics is the hardest subject well most people do anyways. but you'll find some people who are brilliant at it. but if you want a general opinion then i would say that year 12 is quite manageable but year 13 you will struggle and that's okay as long as you are determined enough to learn it and push through it. but it is "harder" than other subjects like bio or something because the content is quite complex.

please understand i can't speak for all subjects but my experience in doing chemistry a level was diffintely a rollercoaster but i love it that's why i'm able to push through it.

hope this helps!

feel free to ask more questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (336)
83.79%
No (65)
16.21%

Watched Threads